German Shepherds Forum banner

Strange interaction at dog park..

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  wyoung2153 
#1 ·
At the dog park.. Titan stole a toy from this other dog.. I grab it and give it back..

Me: "Sorry about that.. He always seems to want those when we are here.."

Guy: "Oh no worries, have you trained him at all?"

Me: "yes, he is very good."

Guy: "well let me give you advice.. here's my card btw, I specialize in GSDs. Oh I see you have a prong, you shouldn't use those. That's like a last resort. Now how is he on a lead? and be serious..."

Me: "he's fine, we're fine, we go to one on one training in ___."

Guy: "Oh that's really far, what are you guys working on?"

Me: "Stay with serious distraction."

Guy: "Wow that's more than my dog knows.. awesome. And I am not a certified trainer I just do it as a passion.. and I do GSDs for free, so if you ever need anything."

:thinking:

See less See more
#5 ·
HAHA I suppose the hitting on could be correct! Wouldn't be the weirdest pick up I have experienced.. It was just an all around awkward experience.. he really went into detail on his "training" and tried to show me on his dog who clear didn't give **** and asked even if he could take Titan on a lead and show me some things.. um. NO.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yeah, definitely.. he went on to say that using a prong tells him he's not trained and you need the prongs to control him. :thinking: Which I told him yeah if you don't use it properly maybe..

I looked him up when I got home to see if he was legit at least.. and there is nothing anywhere about him.

Yes in a very creepy way.

You should have also said something about teaching your dog about stranger danger.
I should have, but I was PSEUDO SWEARING I wasn't thinking, lol. Titan just sat next to me chewing on his frisbee. lol. It was more entertaining I think watching him go, "watch, let me show you on my dog.." proceeds to try to call him.. fails on all his "demonstrations" with the excuse.. "well it's the dog park, he's always so good."

#19 ·
Well another interesting experience tying into this... Took Titan to Petsmart in hopes to find some treats without his allergens and a floating toy.. happened to bump into another shepherd owner.. gorgeous girl.. very happy and well behaved, at the moment anyways. This owner, proceeded to start talking to me about shepherds and his dog, and how good she is, then started talking about his dog park experience at another dog park (not the one I go to, didn't like it when I went the one and only time) Anywho.. story ends with him kicking a dog off his dog, literally telling me he kicked the dog in the face and then left with his .45 pulled at the other owners who were trying to "start fights with him." At this point I'm thinking 3 things.. one.. there's a reason I don't go to that area anymore.. 2 I think he's exaggerating and he kicks dogs... and 3 I need to get away from this guy who Titan doesn't seem happy with either.. standing very still, ears pinned him, very alert on this guy.. but alas, I humored the guy.. stupidly.

He then proceeds to ask if I had gone to the dag park that I frequent, and I said rarely. He asked if I ran into the "dog trainer" there. describing the original from this thread.. I said I had.. he started complaining to me about him and said how he saw him the other day with a prong on his dog and was just ripping him with corrections and they had an altercation. Tells me what I already knew.. he was a creep and isn't a real dog trainer.

The store clerk starts talking with us.. asking about dog parks, blah blah blah.. I say I am weary, but know when I should and shouldn't go (based on people, dogs, time of day, etc.) She asked why I told her that I put hours into this dog (Titan) and one little thing can change it all. Most owners don't pay attention to behaviors, blah blah blah.. all that.. She seems intrigued when this guy who's had all the crazy stories, interrupts and laughs saying how he never put a lick of time into his dog and she's well behaved and happy. Said he "The thing about shepherds is that they don't start listening to you until they are 2 yrs anyways. I laugh when people put "hours" into their dogs, especially puppies because it's pointless. When they hit 2 then you can start training them..." :headbang: At this point I thought "omg.. I'm surrounded by them.." and told him it was nice meeting him but I had to get going. Wondering what in the world I had even stuck around for in the first place.. intrigue? confused? my own humor? who knows.. went about my business.

Wasn't a completely wasted trip though.. found some treats and learned, for the first time, Titan isn't too thrilled about puppies..

#22 ·
Ha yeah.. I can safely assume, since he never had issues beforehand, that when I left him with my friend for 2 weeks while I went on leave, he developed this. She has an Akita puppy that apparently was obsessed with Titan and he completely wanted nothing to do with her... Today a puppy was near and while he passed every other person and dog just fine, started growl at this puppy..

Not a big deal in the sense that I am aware and will just not put him in the situation.

20 years ago, I would have said the guy was all talk. People who own and carry guns around aren't so stupid to wave them at people in public, and generally do not say anything about them to strangers. Nowadays, I don't know. There are some real weirdows out there, now, and you seem to be running into them.

GSDs are a good opening for people to feel a connection with you, but they are also often pretty good weirdow detectors. They do not generally like weird.
Yeaaah the more I think about it the more I wonder if that guy that he cornered and nipped (posted a thread a few months ago about it) was a weirdo too. So far Titan has been all for all with detecting the creeps.

Totally get the connection thing, and I love talking about Titan, but why all the weirdos?!

#21 ·
20 years ago, I would have said the guy was all talk. People who own and carry guns around aren't so stupid to wave them at people in public, and generally do not say anything about them to strangers. Nowadays, I don't know. There are some real weirdows out there, now, and you seem to be running into them.

GSDs are a good opening for people to feel a connection with you, but they are also often pretty good weirdow detectors. They do not generally like weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.