I thought I had lost control - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default I thought I had lost control

We went for our usual walk the other day. There's a school with a large fenced off area that includes 4 or 5 baseball fields and a soccer field.

Zeeva was off leash and Smokey was on his 20-25ft retractable. These two shih tzus came up to us. Zeeva's recall was superb (but it happened so fast I don't know if she recalled before she saw the two little dogs). I grabbed the 'D' on her prong and held on for dear life. Smokey was getting in an altercation with one of the dogs as I attempted to reel him in. Just when I thought I had lost control, I asked them to sit and they did...it was like a ray of sunshine breaking through rain clouds. The two little dogs kept barking but eventually returned to their owner who apologized from afar...

I didn't post this in the brag section because I still wish I didn't have to have so much drama when an off leash dog approaches us...I wish I could trust them...

But it got me thinking a bit. Does age make a difference as to how obedient a dog is? If people would wait it out a few years before thinking about rehoming or putting their dog in a shelter...I was in that boat a while ago but I feel like with a little bit of age, my two have become more docile and manageable and that's without any formal training...isn't the most common age for a dog to be placed in a shelter under the age of 2ish? I really do believe waiting a few years makes the world of a difference, don't you?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh I think age can certainly help, I'm glad your dogs listened. And certainly a dog will start to mellow around 2YO. My dog is so much nicer to have around than she was at this time last year! lol

Flexi's scare me for that reason, very hard to reel your dog in when you need to.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeva View Post
We went for our usual walk the other day. There's a school with a large fenced off area that includes 4 or 5 baseball fields and a soccer field.

Zeeva was off leash and Smokey was on his 20-25ft retractable. These two shih tzus came up to us. Zeeva's recall was superb (but it happened so fast I don't know if she recalled before she saw the two little dogs). I grabbed the 'D' on her prong and held on for dear life. Smokey was getting in an altercation with one of the dogs as I attempted to reel him in. Just when I thought I had lost control, I asked them to sit and they did...it was like a ray of sunshine breaking through rain clouds. The two little dogs kept barking but eventually returned to their owner who apologized from afar...

I didn't post this in the brag section because I still wish I didn't have to have so much drama when an off leash dog approaches us...I wish I could trust them...

But it got me thinking a bit. Does age make a difference as to how obedient a dog is? If people would wait it out a few years before thinking about rehoming or putting their dog in a shelter...I was in that boat a while ago but I feel like with a little bit of age, my two have become more docile and manageable and that's without any formal training...isn't the most common age for a dog to be placed in a shelter under the age of 2ish? I really do believe waiting a few years makes the world of a difference, don't you?
Awesome! Age does make a difference but only if you keep up the training and leadership in a consistent way.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Whew! I bet that was a scary one! I think as dogs mature they don't behave like silly teenagers full of bravado. I agree with WD - if you keep up your training, don't allow a lot of gray areas to poke their ugly heads through daily, you'll end up with dogs you can trust and have fun with.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good job! You're seeing the benefits of hard work, that's a great feeling

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Flexi's scare me for that reason, very hard to reel your dog in when you need to.
I've never mentioned this before because I think it may be bonkers to do...but I use a prong with a retractable for my husky Smokey...It's amazing how much control I've got with the prong and still how much freedom I can give him on the retractable...

Is it so wrong/weird to do that?
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was walking my well behaved dog with my 18 month old in a stroller. A big giant Labradoodle type was on a pretty long flexi , fully extended , and his owner could not reel him in before he bounded up on us wanting to play with my dog.

Well , he was going around and around trying to get my dog to play ( who stayed in his heel and was getting quite nervous ..this jerky dog wound the flexi across my son's face , and he was a big strong dog. I grabbed the LD's collar and snicked off his flexi as his owner was begging me not to because he would run away. I was nice enough to hold his dog's collar..which was a prong , so he did not take off. I really did not have to do that.

I asked him if his dog was not off lead trustworthy or under his control , why on earth would he think 26 feet of string was a good idea?

He could have garotted my kid. My toddler had marks across his face and chest from the friction. There is no cursing allowed on here , but you can imagine a few choice words I have for flexis.

Not directed at OP ..just wanted to vent that flexis are not a good choice for a dog that still needs lead training , unless you are going to be someplace super safe.
ALL MY RESCUES!
Oisin's Aoire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It's always awesome when our dogs respond to us the way we hope. Even if you aren't sure if it was for the reason you wanted it to be (simply listening, or just opportune moment) whatever the case may be, they did it! and nothing happened!

That's interesting about the prong and flexi.. never would have guessed but I don't know why it would make a difference vs regular leash. As long as it's used properly like the other.

For the age and attitude thing.. hmm.. that's a good question. I know Titan seems to have been maturing a bit in the last few months. He hit his 4 year mark. But he is also getting more stubborn and set in his ways, thankfully i make sure his ways are the way I want, lol. My parents have senior dogs, the oldest being a 14 y/o lab. He is a butthead.. an absolute PITA. lol. Though that is largely due to no training done by my parents, but he is getting worse and worse. Almost as if he's like "dude, I'm old a dirt, and I don't care anymore." Lol.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 10:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:

Great job and great work.

Only think I would add is that I prefer a "Stay" myself if it's "real' dogs coming at you, in a sit your dog is at a disadvantage.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
I've never mentioned this before because I think it may be bonkers to do...but I use a prong with a retractable for my husky Smokey...It's amazing how much control I've got with the prong and still how much freedom I can give him on the retractable...

Is it so wrong/weird to do that?
LOL with a Husky... uh no anything that gets him back!!
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.