German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Really.. To darn smart (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/429002-really-darn-smart.html)

lennyb 03-24-2014 11:43 PM

Really.. To darn smart

Well I came home to a surprise today. We have two GSD's. Diego is 17 months and Bandit is 7 months. Let me start with the fact that all my homes doors ( interior and entry ) have French curved handles on them ( luv the look ) and the front door doesn't have a dead bolt. We went shopping for about a hour today and came home to the front door open and both dogs gone ( we don't cage them and have never had any kind of problems ). Then within a couple of minutes being home and freaking out guess who comes trotting in. We couldn't figure out how they got out. Then when I went out to get something from my truck guess what? I can see the thumb lever on the outside of the front door moving and my boys smacking the inside handle to open the door!!! Are you kidding me??? They figured out how to open the front door.. What's next, taking my truck for joy rides. Well tomorrow guess who gets to install a dead bolt lock.. This guy..

SunCzarina 03-25-2014 12:01 AM

Once they figure it out... One of my dogs figured out how to remove a hook and eye assembly. He'd never go farther than the next door neighbors kids but he got some of my fosters in big trouble letting them out off the front porch!

K9POPPY 03-25-2014 09:28 AM

Given time, GSD's can figure out just about any door!!!! Bob

pyratemom 03-25-2014 10:00 AM

That is just too funny. Better hide the keys to the truck so they don't joy ride!

Courtney 03-25-2014 10:01 AM

Oh boy - time to review those doors and locks!

Rusty can open the storm door if he wants. He's also good at opening drawers. He also learned how to turn the facet on outside and help himself to water. We covered it for a while and thankfully he has not tried that for a couple of years:crazy:

GSD are very smart - they are thinkers. Thank goodness they don't have thumbs! lol

Lilie 03-25-2014 11:28 AM

You might want to hide the credit cards too!!!

DWP 03-25-2014 03:31 PM

Carefull!!!

Well, number one, the insurance company will not cover them as drivers, and number two, they refuse to pump gas!:D

fredh 03-25-2014 04:05 PM

I wouldn't leave the Truck Keys on the Kitchen Counter if I were You!

lennyb 03-25-2014 08:28 PM

Ya I know about cabinets. We had to doggy proof them. The funny thing is they never took anything from the cupboards but would open everyone they could. Would look like a scene from poltergeist

Courtney 03-25-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lennyb (Post 5268362)
Ya I know about cabinets. We had to doggy proof them. The funny thing is they never took anything from the cupboards but would open everyone they could. Would look like a scene from poltergeist

That's hilarious!