Some dog owners are in denial. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Some dog owners are in denial.

Where i live there are a small group of us who take the time to train our dogs. Our dogs don't pull, run away, bite, jump up or be generally disobedient. Then...there are the BAD owners who treat their dogs like children. They giggle when they pull on the leash or jump on people. They say "Oooh, Pooch just likes/loves you" instead of correcting them. The worst i've seen today is somebody saying their dog just wants to play when it went for another dog in an aggressive manner . I really wish some basic training/dog behavior lessons could be offered to new owners.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I live in one of those neighborhoods too. It's very dog friendly and most people have good manners about so many dogs living in such a thickly settled place but there's always bad apples. LOL my favorite kind of bad owner is the frufru scooper - they see you coming w/ a GSD and instead of correcting their little dog for flipping out, they pick it up.

We had one neighbor who let her yorkie run right off the porch and bite Luther on the ankle 'Oh he just loves playing with big dogs' It happened like 3 times and I'd always tell her that's not playing and Luther's not going to hurt your yorkie (doubt he even felt it LOL) but some other dog will. We ran into them on a walk one day, the yorkie's going nuts and she picked it up instead of correctingit. Yorkie bit her right on the cheek! Yeah, he's just playing and you're bleeding now.

Last fall a couple teenage girls were walking with their bishon, totally aggressive little monster. It was mouthing off at Venus - Venus was in her 'who are you talking to like that, I'll eat you!' bratty teenage period so she barked back. The girl picked up the Bichon and it proceeded to break it's collar, jump down and charge at my dogs. While they're standing there giggling at the broken collar. Bichon bit Venus on the leg and thankfully she was so startled by that, she didn't grab it and I was able to push it away with my boot. Yeah thanks agressive little dog, you made my puppy think every dog who woofs at her is going to run up and bite her leg.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Treating dogs like children does not necessarily mean they are not training their dog. I was/am a very strict parent. I did not allow my child to misbehave and I don't allow my dogs to. My dogs do get a lot of attention though and are a part of our family.

So, taking that blatant statement out, I do wish people would train thier dogs and children better. Some do others don't.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs behave better in public than my children sometimes. Just came from the mall with a 10 1/2 y/o boy and my 9 y/o boy girl twins. Someone's always got to act up in a Johnny Rockets...

Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08

Old 03-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Rationalizing our shortcomings and our dog's lack of trained good behavior is par for the course for all too many. Personally, I believe all too many dog owners simply are not aware of what their dogs are capable of and proceed accordingly.....making excuses and rationalizations. Let's face it, a well behaved dog is most likely going to involve a fair amount of human effort, commitment and input.

Perhaps the best way to affect change on this group of "BAD owners" is by example rather than scolding or having a visible negative attitude about owners who lack the dedication. ( I am not suggesting that you have done any of the scolding etc.) All too many dogs are brought into households where they are left to their own devices and the owners have little interest in anything except the barest of minimums...feeding and watering.

My guess is ..since you are active in this forum, it displays a higher level of expectations you have on both your dog and yourself....wouldn't it be nice if all dog owners had the same higher standards of which you subscribe to..

Whenever I get the opportunity to be around someone's dog, especially if it is a bit unruly...I like to take the time and use some of the techniques I have used on my dogs over the years....many of those have come from this forum. If I should get lucky and be able to correct a small problem and the owner asks..."what did you do?"..then take full advantage of that moment and politely describe what you did and how they can easily do the same. Little differences hopefully, over time, make big differences.

However, at the end of the day...I might modify your comment " I really wish some basic training/dog behavior lessons could be offered to new owners" to read.." I really wish some basic training/dog behavior lessons were required in order to license a dog". Yes, I know that sounds like big government invading our lives which it would be.....but what the heck...could you imagine a world full of nothing but conscientious dog owners??? Wow...think of all the wonderfully happy dogs!

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Good luck, attempting to get dog owners to train their dogs, the way you feel it's necessary - it's almost like asking the government to care about Americans, before they jump into some other Countries business. I see the same thing you do with small dogs, large dogs, just about all dogs, but it's not going to change anytime soon so complaining about it - might fall on deaf ears ?
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCzarina View Post
Yorkie bit her right on the cheek! Yeah, he's just playing and you're bleeding now.

I apologize but I couldn't help myself...that line made me laugh...really laugh.

Yes, I know it's not funny when a dog bites someone....but the irony was too comical.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well you could try talking to them but I think it's a waste of time. Pretty sure a properly applied application of Pepper Spray to the little miscreants face would get your point across pretty quickly!

Just a thought.
Chip18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It wasn't funny at the time but a solid 12 years have past and I can still see that and laugh. They were an entertaining couple anyway, he was like 6'5" and at least 280lbs walking down the street every night with that little dog with the blue boys in it's hair.

Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08

Old 03-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Well you could try talking to them but I think it's a waste of time. Pretty sure a properly applied application of Pepper Spray to the little miscreants face would get your point across pretty quickly!

Just a thought.
I had one little white dog off leash started yapping at my dogs while the guy was holding it. He started laughing oh you gonna beat those big dogs up so I yelled 'if that thing comes over here, I'm going to mace it.' he laughed. I don't know why I always call pepperspray 'mace; I know they're not the same.

My son peppersprayed a doxie last weekend. He's 10 1/2, it's the only way I can get him to take a walk with us, he gets to walk point and hold the spray.

Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.