German Shepherds Forum banner

Cross-Country Drive with Intact Male and Female in Heat

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  pyratemom 
#1 ·
Well, we made it through day one! We're traveling from Georgia to Washington by car. I have four GSDs and a large mixed breed, and we're all packed neatly into my Honda Fit (there's a thread on here about the mods I made to my car). I have another two legged passenger too. All my stuff was packed in a moving pod and is somewhere in transit. Meanwhile, five dogs later, things have settled down.

Day one was horrible; Lexi is in standing heat and my male whined and pouted for about five hours until he finally gave up and napped. Every time we stopped he'd start again. Plus the labradoodle was grumpy, so if my male stepped on him accidentally he'd get snapped at. Poor guy just can't catch a break!

We're at our hotel getting ready to head back out for another 9 hour day. We covered 5 states yesterday and had dinner with my aunt, who was considering taking my male. No dice... Unlucky boy has to sit through four more days of torture, lol

I'll keep adding updates!

#2 ·
We're going to be driving cross country soon, but without dogs. You are a braver person than I am...

#3 ·
Congrats on getting through the first day! That is the hardest until they settle into traveling. I've never traveled with that many - it must be a challenge.

#5 ·
Day two was excellent! Everyone settled down, they've got all their phobia of pooping in new places out of the way, and we're meeting tons of new people and places!

Sky Architecture Home Art

We touched down in Texas yesterday evening and had some Tex- Mex to celebrate. Everyone is eating ok, although the male is still picky since he gets distracted. He's stopped whining and carrying on so.

Schedule is tight, we're doing 8-10 hour driving days. The scenery is a bit blah in this area but far better than we've come across. Roads have gotten nicer.

Five dogs in my car has not been nearly as tight as I had anticipated! More updates as we go

#7 ·
Hope things continue to go well with all of you! I don't know if this would work for dogs... But when I was showing horses, pulling a 6-horse trailer, and we happened to have a mare in heat (they come in heat every month!), we would spread some Vicks in the stallions' nostrils. It made for a much calmer ride!

#8 ·
This is a great idea. I don't know why I have never thought of it.

#12 ·
Will try! Stopping at a store to get some this AM, although he's been really good. Definitely the most stressful part of the trip has been making sure everybody is pottying at our stops.

I'll upload more photos later. I'm getting errors when I try at the moment.

#14 ·
Congratulations on making the journey successfully. I'm sure all the fur kids are glad to be out of the car by now, as well as you are I'm sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.