German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Rude Old Guy: just venting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/423874-rude-old-guy-just-venting.html)

wolfy dog 03-13-2014 03:15 PM

Rude Old Guy: just venting

Yesterday an old man (could hear it by his voice) called. When I answered the first thing he said was,"Are you the dog training lady?" "Yes, I am!"
I have a GSD and she needs training". So we talked a short while and then he said,"here's my wife cause I can't hear well". Sweetest lady.
So she and I talked. They got a 12 week old pup from "some guy in town". Made an appointment for tomorrow. This morning the old man called and the first thing he said,"It's gonna rain and I don't want to stand in the rain for two hours. I am 86 years old!" I asked him how he wanted to raise a GSD if it rains here 9 months out of the year. I explained that we weren't going to stand in the rain for two hours but also needed a conversation about training his puppy and his goals for her. Then he got upset. "I am gonna pay you $ xxxx for this? I want results!" Then he hung up. I was glad he canceled but was very sorry for his puppy. I hope I see her on CL soon so I can get her and hope he won't recognize me.

Tratkins 03-13-2014 03:42 PM

Poor poor dog! Breaks my heart!

Msmaria 03-13-2014 03:47 PM

86 and wants to raise a shepherd puppy. Well now, I've heard it all :D

middleofnowhere 03-13-2014 04:13 PM

Msmaria, watch your ageism please.

Galathiel 03-13-2014 04:34 PM

Oh pish. At 12 weeks, my pup could easily have pulled down someone that age. Unless it's a mellow little tyke, it could get a little dicey if they don't do something quickly. No matter if society thinks that might be labeling, the elderly DO injure more easily, from having frailer bones to also having tissue paper skin. My dad (who at the time was 20 years younger than this guy) would still have huge bruises on his arm just from patting my GSD over the fence and getting a loving paw in return. God forbid if they are also having to take blood thinners as well.

Msmaria 03-13-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by middleofnowhere (Post 5193954)
Msmaria, watch your ageism please.

Didnt mean to offend . I'm no spring chicken myself lol but my gsd 14 months can pull very hard. Sometimes I have to sit on the floor to prevent him from dragging me somewhere. I just don't see someone that age (most likely on coumadin ) being able to take care of a land shark without help.

Syaoransbear 03-16-2014 10:28 PM

I'd also be concerned about people of that age getting a puppy, and not just because of the possibility of injury from such a strong, rambunctious breed, but because the dog will probably have to be rehomed at some point either because it outlived the couple or they moved to a retirement home.

carmspack 03-16-2014 10:49 PM

reality bites , doesn't it . Sorry to start a pup when one of the owners is 86 pretty much guarantees that the pup will outlive the owner -- so you better make plans if you know what I mean.

wolfy dog 03-16-2014 11:15 PM

Since he seems very impatient I am checking CL for her for the next few weeks.

BensLife 03-16-2014 11:16 PM

Wow, what a grumpy old man! I hope the dog finds a better home away from that old man ):