German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Kind of ironic... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/421281-kind-ironic.html)

MyHans-someBoy 03-08-2014 02:45 PM

Kind of ironic...

You know there are things in life that are terribly funny.
I'm talking knee slapping, doubled over, can't catch your breath funny.
And then there is the ironic kind of funny, which may or may not become the knee slapping kind of funny in say, 30 or 40 years.

I'll let you, as GSD owners,decide which this is...

I just bought a 2014 Dodge Quad Cab pick up truck with the Hemi motor. Absolutely nothing NOT to like except, of course, for the 5 years of payments. :(

My dog, ironically, HATES it.

Yes, this is the GSD you've read about on here that simply loves to go anywhere in my Jeep.

Apparently, that love of riding does not extend to any other vehicles.

Wish I had known that *before* the big purchase.

I needed something with less than the 206,000 the Jeep currently has with all of the traveling I do for work.

My husband wanted to see me get something brand new and it has been 31 years since I've owned a brand new vehicle. I had really planned to enjoy the heck out of it.

I still have the Jeep, so Hans & I can still get our Jeep "fix" on the weekends.

A typical trip in the spectacular new truck now includes Hans getting excited as we approach it, jumping in and seemingly settling in just fine. Once we get on the road he starts panting lightly, which turns into very heavy panting, along with violent trembling. He is extremely restless and whiney. The first time it happened I was scared to death that he was bloating. It typically takes an hour to an hour and a half of this horrible reaction before he calms down as we are going to or from work. It is an approximately 2 hour and 45 minute ride to where I work and we stay the week and come home on the weekend.

It doesn't matter if I try to console him, give him the quiet command or simply ignore him. It hasn't gotten any better even though we've made many trips.

Today is Saturday and as a test, we took the Jeep on several errands.

No Problem. Happy and calm as can be.

Anyone who has ever driven or ridden in a Wrangler knows how rough riding & noisy they are. This truck is quiet (unless you're by the tailpipes :D) and much smoother riding.

The trip coming home this weekend, I gave him some Rescue Remedy, which is a natural calming aid that I have used successfully in the past. Did not make a bit of difference.

Not knee slapping funny!
Maybe in 30 or 40 years...

All ideas and opinions are welcome as I don't think trading the truck in is an option and I think these extreme nervous meltdowns my dog is having cannot be good for him. :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SuperG 03-08-2014 02:54 PM

Wow...that is odd....maybe Hans does not like that "new car smell" ?

Maybe Hans should be told that Chrysler bought Jeep a while back and should rest assured ?

If Hans has a blanket or mat he sleeps on, maybe you can throw that in the new ride.

I'm guessing Hans is just sentimental and is a Jeep doggy...it was his first ride..correct?

SuperG

Zeeva 03-08-2014 02:57 PM

Oh no!!!

Maybe time will fix this...My two took to our truck (traded it in though) immediately.

Maybe,can you fit a travel crate in the back? Sometimes this helps...

MyHans-someBoy 03-08-2014 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperG (Post 5158193)
Wow...that is odd....maybe Hans does not like that "new car smell" ?

Maybe Hans should be told that Chrysler bought Jeep a while back and should rest assured ?

If Hans has a blanket or mat he sleeps on, maybe you can throw that in the new ride.

I'm guessing Hans is just sentimental and is a Jeep doggy...it was his first ride..correct?

SuperG

I must say that while the situation may not be knee slapping funny, I do always enjoy your viewpoint and sense of humor, so I very well may have to explain that Chrysler bought Jeep...:D :D

While it doesn't make me tremble violently or drool excessively (the payments do that) the power door locks and power windows do take some getting used to. Jeeps are such wonderfully simple vehicles. :)

MyHans-someBoy 03-08-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeeva (Post 5158217)
Oh no!!!

Maybe time will fix this...My two took to our truck (traded it in though) immediately.

Maybe,can you fit a travel crate in the back? Sometimes this helps...

Zeeva,

What a good suggestion! I am not sure there is enough room for a travel crate, but I will measure for it.
Crossing fingers...

Nigel 03-08-2014 03:16 PM

Perhaps the truck produces some noise he hears, but we can't? Haha I can't hear crap without my HAs, I miss a lot of sounds.

Zeeva 03-08-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy (Post 5158305)
Zeeva,

What a good suggestion! I am not sure there is enough room for a travel crate, but I will measure for it.
Crossing fingers...

LOL...I feel like this is the first time I gave a decent response/suggestion ;)

I've traveled twice from California to Chicago (2 way trip) with the 2 in the back. And although we could trust Zeeva in the back of the truck we decided not to take a chance and crated her. It was a good thing too because for some reason during altitude changes and especially through the Rockies she flipped out. I thought hard about it and came to the conclusion that her ears were probably 'popping' or hurting and that freaked her out but I still am not sure...

Keep us posted about whether it works or not C:

Twyla 03-08-2014 03:23 PM

The new car smell is actually chemicals in the materials used. Maybe Hans is having a reaction to the chemicals?

MyHans-someBoy 03-08-2014 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twyla (Post 5158393)
The new car smell is actually chemicals in the materials used. Maybe Hans is having a reaction to the chemicals?

That is very possible! I just wonder what I could do about it?? I know the "new car smell" eventually wears off, but I think this poor dog may have a heart attack before then. :(

Hans is really not afraid of much of anything. Loud noises do not bother him. He just sniffed the end of a loud cordless drill my husband was using the other day. Did not bother him a bit-no pun intended! I even stepped back from it. So...it makes sense to me that if he isn't scared of the new truck, then maybe he is extra sensitive to the chemicals.

Geez, now what??

MyHans-someBoy 03-08-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 5158353)
Perhaps the truck produces some noise he hears, but we can't? Haha I can't hear crap without my HAs, I miss a lot of sounds.

I know what you mean. I have worked around heavy equipment enough years to think my hearing isn't near as keen as it used to be.

Let's hope he can hear any mechanical problems before they get worse, lol!

I think I just came up with a new job for Hans.