Kind of ironic... - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

How about feeding him for a few days in the car. Then feed him in the truck with the engine on. Then slowly progress. I would bet it's either a sound, maybe one you can't hear, or a difference in vibration.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

New car smell contains VOCs ( Volatile organic compounds )....Dogs which are capable of "sniffing" cancer in humans are smelling the VOCs emitted from a human with certain types of cancer.

I assume that cancer detecting dogs are taught a specific act to relay the presence of VOCs and have no idea how a dog reacts to the scent of VOCs on their own sans any conditioning and training.

Just a thought since an earlier poster cited what "new car smell" comes from as well as my mention of it as well.

I have no idea if the VOCs produced by humans versus chemically produced VOCs have the same "scent".

Interesting....maybe you have a cancer detecting dog.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
New car smell contains VOCs ( Volatile organic compounds )....Dogs which are capable of "sniffing" cancer in humans are smelling the VOCs emitted from a human with certain types of cancer.

I assume that cancer detecting dogs are taught a specific act to relay the presence of VOCs and have no idea how a dog reacts to the scent of VOCs on their own sans any conditioning and training.

Just a thought since an earlier poster cited what "new car smell" comes from as well as my mention of it as well.

I have no idea if the VOCs produced by humans versus chemically produced VOCs have the same "scent".

Interesting....maybe you have a cancer detecting dog.

SuperG
That's very interesting!

Whether he is hearing, smelling or feeling something humans are not sensitive enough to detect, I just wish there was some way to give him relief from the effect it has on him.

It is so disheartening to look in the back at my once joyful dog and see him so upset. He seems to be in his own little world while this is going on. Nothing I say or do seems to calm him.

I am beginning to feel strongly that chemicals could be affecting him.

MyHans-someBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Possibly the rough visceral sensation of movement in the Jeep signaled he was moving, the new Dodge is too smooth and throwing off his senses?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdsar View Post
How about feeding him for a few days in the car. Then feed him in the truck with the engine on. Then slowly progress. I would bet it's either a sound, maybe one you can't hear, or a difference in vibration.

I am a little concerned about feeding him in the truck at all. So far, he has not vomited. I have fully expected him to, though, considering how upset he gets. I know I would have to take it a step at a time as you suggested. I would rather use a method like yours as opposed to having the vet prescribe something to calm him. I like to use natural solutions if possible, and sometimes meds don't always have the intended effect. I adopted a very aggressive cat a few years ago and my vet prescribed Valium to calm her. Unfortunately, it made her worse.

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
Possibly the rough visceral sensation of movement in the Jeep signaled he was moving, the new Dodge is too smooth and throwing off his senses?
Possibly.

You're giving me an idea here that could get me a ticket...

Maybe we need to come off the line a little harder in order to give him that visceral sensation of movement.

The Hemi could do that-no prob.

And the Christmas tree lights drop...

Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

I will be curious to find out what you end up doing as you solve this hiccup in Han's behavior. Do you think like many other situations you have dealt with Han's or other dogs, you will try one change at a time ?

Things like this, once they are solved, seem to be really enlightening and help us understand our dogs so much better in the long haul.

So, I'd be interested in the methods you used and what ultimately made the major change.

SuperG
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

I can only speak for myself, and not my dogs, but I actually tend to get car sick in vehicles with a smooth, quiet ride, more so than vehicles that are rougher and/or noisier. So, it is entirely possible that the difference in the ride, as well as the "new car smell" is making him car sick.

LeoRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I will be curious to find out what you end up doing as you solve this hiccup in Han's behavior. Do you think like many other situations you have dealt with Han's or other dogs, you will try one change at a time ?

Things like this, once they are solved, seem to be really enlightening and help us understand our dogs so much better in the long haul.

So, I'd be interested in the methods you used and what ultimately made the major change.

SuperG
SuperG,

I would be happy to update this thread and let you, and everyone else who jumped in with help and suggestions, know what ultimately solves this bizarre issue.

I have read and/or participated in threads that are never updated and a person is left genuinely concerned about what happened or how something was resolved.

Yes, I will implement only one change at a time.

In all honesty, before I took him for a test run in the Jeep today, I could only correlate his behavior to going to a new groomer. I suppose it was a coincidence, although I don't tend to be a big believer in coincidence.

I had picked him up from his appt. in the Jeep, but he seemed a lot more whiney the rest of the day. Hans doesn't usually whine unless there is a really legit issue-like a sudden attack of diarrhea. I wrote it off as a stressful event.

The next day we left town for work in the new truck and his behavior became increasingly worse. I wondered if he had such a horrible time at the new groomer that he thought every time we went somewhere that I might be taking him back and that it was taking an hour or more for him to realize that we were NOT going back to the groomer. It was the only thing, at that point, I could come up with.

Once I took him for a ride in the Jeep and he was fine, I kind of wrote off the idea of a bad grooming experience as being the cause, but maybe I need to do one more little "test", which involves another ride in the new truck.

I am not sure it is possible to prove anything either way, but I will be curious to see what his next truck ride is like...

Old 03-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoRose View Post
I can only speak for myself, and not my dogs, but I actually tend to get car sick in vehicles with a smooth, quiet ride, more so than vehicles that are rougher and/or noisier. So, it is entirely possible that the difference in the ride, as well as the "new car smell" is making him car sick.

You may be exactly right. I kept expecting him to vomit, and although he never did, that doesn't mean he wasn't nauseous the entire time.

I never dreamed this truck wouldn't be an "upgrade" for both of us, lol!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.