Strangest things heard about your dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strangest things heard about your dog

Ok, it's been a long and horrible winter around here with very few walks. Today due to the balmy (40 lol) weather we took a nice walk. I have a very normal looking black male. He's clearly a gsd. Of course I heard some great words of wisdom from people with no gsd.

1. Your black dog is some sort of mix. Obviously the rare pointy eared lab.
2. Your dog's coat is too soft/not oily enough to be a gsd.
3. Don't you worry about having a wolf dog?

I know the year is young and a lot of us are just getting out, but what is the strangest thing you've heard about your dog lately?
hchorney1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Lately? hmm not really anything actually. I generally avoid casual chats with other people on our walks because I get annoyed with comments like the guy you talked to.

One time someone told me my breeder lied to me and my akc papers were fake because long haired gsds dont exist.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've got a friend who, while possessed of a genius intellect, is horrendously awkward at normal small talk. Anyway, he was over a couple weeks ago and while watching my GSD, Cafall, chew on a bone turned and said to me, "He's kinda furry isn't he?"

I just laughed. What does a non-furry GSD look like I wonder?
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

I used to get the "is she a wolf" comment pretty regularly. I always thought it was kinda funny.

When Maddie was in a dog cart the last year of her life (on walks) I was constantly approached by strangers asking questions. Most would ask if her leg was broken or if she was hurt. She needed it due to her HD and the cart made a huge difference in her life.

We rolled by a pre-school one day and a swarm of kids ran over. They were very curious and asked a ton of questions about the cart. I patiently answered all of them while Maddie soaked up their attention. She always loved kids.

The strangest but most touching question was from a total stranger who drove by Maddie and me on our walk. She was in her prime at the time and was a real looker. This guy stops his car and leans out the window. He asked if he could pet Maddie. He looked desperate and briefly explained that he just lost his GSD. I told him that he was welcome to pet her. He climbed out of his car and got down on the ground with her, giving her a nice long pet. After about a minute he broke down crying and darted into his car--he was so choked up he couldn't talk.

I was so proud of Maddie that day. You see she was normally rather aloof to strangers (except kids) and would shrug off a pet lasting more than about 5 seconds. But somehow she knew this guy really needed some doggie attention. She held still for him and even tucked her head into him a bit. I totally understand how that guy felt and sympathize with his need. Just so glad that Maddie understood and could help him out.
Mister C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

"What kind of dog is that?"

"What's he mixed with?"

"Looks like a wolf"

And once -
"I don't usually trust German shepherds, but yours looks nice" Lol!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Will he be vicious? (He was 10 weeks old)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

With our new our GSD pup, I have had mutilple people say "What kind of dog is that?" I say "He is a purebred German Shepherd Dog". Then they say "Oh, I have always just LOVED German Shepherds!" I think, "If you LOVED them so much, wouldn't you know what one looks like???" LOL (Samson is a black and tan...pretty easy to identify as GSD if you have ever seen one)

I have also had people ask if I am going to "get his ears done"....ummmm, what?? Lol
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post

I was so proud of Maddie that day. You see she was normally rather aloof to strangers (except kids) and would shrug off a pet lasting more than about 5 seconds. But somehow she knew this guy really needed some doggie attention. She held still for him and even tucked her head into him a bit. I totally understand how that guy felt and sympathize with his need. Just so glad that Maddie understood and could help him out.

What a sweetie!
Tratkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister C View Post
I used to get the "is she a wolf" comment pretty regularly. I always thought it was kinda funny.

When Maddie was in a dog cart the last year of her life (on walks) I was constantly approached by strangers asking questions. Most would ask if her leg was broken or if she was hurt. She needed it due to her HD and the cart made a huge difference in her life.

We rolled by a pre-school one day and a swarm of kids ran over. They were very curious and asked a ton of questions about the cart. I patiently answered all of them while Maddie soaked up their attention. She always loved kids.

The strangest but most touching question was from a total stranger who drove by Maddie and me on our walk. She was in her prime at the time and was a real looker. This guy stops his car and leans out the window. He asked if he could pet Maddie. He looked desperate and briefly explained that he just lost his GSD. I told him that he was welcome to pet her. He climbed out of his car and got down on the ground with her, giving her a nice long pet. After about a minute he broke down crying and darted into his car--he was so choked up he couldn't talk.

That is so sweet! It's great how dogs are in tune with peoples' moods.
KirstenS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

From a Petsmart dog trainer "what kind of dog is he"?
Attached Thumbnails
Strangest things heard about your dog-098.jpg  
charger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.