Ban on selling puppy mill dogs in pet stores in Chicago - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ban on selling puppy mill dogs in pet stores in Chicago

I am so very proud of one of my friends and I wanted to share.

She works for PAWS in Chicago and yesterday she testified at City Hall yesterday in support of the Companion Animal & Consumer Protection Ordinance. This legislation would prohibit Chicago pet stores from selling puppy mill puppies (and other "milled" animals) and would be a historic, progressive moment for the City of Chicago, dogs suffering inside inhumane puppy mills and also for shelter dogs in Chicago who are put to sleep every day just for being homeless who would now have a better chance at getting adopted. It passed the pre-lim vote and is now going to to a full vote today!

Hopefully, this could end up being trickled down into some sort of legislation/regulation on BYB's as well, but one step at a time.

Here's an article with more info: Chicago expected to ban puppy mill sales in pet stores tomorrow
katro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Fingers crossed! It seems like such an obvious thing to do, it's amazing pet stores are even selling puppy mill dogs, with all the bad press it creates.

I'd rather them have an adoption center and help local humane organizations home their animals.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

There's a pet store that I drive past every day called Happiness Is Pets and the walls are lined with tiny cages full of puppies. I've seen picketers/protesters out front a few times, but the place has been in business for years. I'm not in the City of Chicago, but if this passes there, hopefully it will spread to the suburbs. I'm all for the responsible breeding of pets, but these pet stores don't get their animals that way.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's the 'trickle down' part that worries me.

Some puppy mills are obviously cruel and unsanitary. Then there are the puppy factory farms usually run by well heeled business men who are able to meet sanitary standards but really aren't breeding for genetic health or quality of life of the poor females that pump out litter after litter.

This sort of thing often leads to regulatory capture where only the big boys can meet the bar but still flaunt the principle behind 'bans' like this.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

At this point, the "trickle down" isn't part of the plan. Who knows if it ever will be?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Two things: 1) you wrote 'hopefully' there will be more legislation trickle down. I think that's a be careful what you wish for type thing

2) There already exists legislation regarding puppy mills that may well impact reputable small breeders but not change a thing wrt general welfare of dogs or BYBs. So the 'trickle down' is already happening.

There was a long discussion about the recent changes at the Federal level regarding breeding practices.

I'll try to find it and link here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katro View Post
At this point, the "trickle down" isn't part of the plan. Who knows if it ever will be?
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

New laws passed regarding breeders
Old 03-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

make some laws, people will find a way to stretch them, work around them, or just break them when it concerns a dollar. I used to get excited about this stuff, now I don't so much.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair View Post
Two things: 1) you wrote 'hopefully' there will be more legislation trickle down. I think that's a be careful what you wish for type thing

2) There already exists legislation regarding puppy mills that may well impact reputable small breeders but not change a thing wrt general welfare of dogs or BYBs. So the 'trickle down' is already happening.

There was a long discussion about the recent changes at the Federal level regarding breeding practices.

I'll try to find it and link here.
Sometimes I just enjoy being hopeful. I can dream of a "perfect" world where nothing ever goes wrong, and everything is rainbows, unicorns and candy can't I? I'm well aware that's completely unrealistic.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Well...it's not that it's 'unrealistic' but rather that these type of bans aren't addressing the underlying problems.

In my world, which admittedly swings from hopeful to cynical, I'm wondering how anyone could not be aware of the problems with pet store puppies now a days? It seems like most people should know better and not be buying puppies from pet stores, no demand would solve the problem. But still there are pet stores selling puppies and people buying.

That's what leaves me shaking my head.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by katro View Post
Sometimes I just enjoy being hopeful. I can dream of a "perfect" world where nothing ever goes wrong, and everything is rainbows, unicorns and candy can't I? I'm well aware that's completely unrealistic.

Last edited by Gwenhwyfair; 03-05-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Gwenhwyfair is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.