German Shepherds Forum banner

Nice walk. Approached by a stray dog .

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  shilorio 
#1 ·
Okay so I went on a walk with Elios and everything was good.
But all of a sudden this rottie/healer mix just pops up out of no where!
He had a harness and choke chain on. No tags. He was wet .
And very dominant! Hackles raised, tail high. Very stick body language.
Me and Elios walk passed him quickly, and Elios doesn't bark or stare.
But the dog kept fallowing us trying to sniff elios. So Elios turns his head a little and growls.
Then turns around and growls and tells the dog to get the **** away. And the dog runs. Then comes back. And at this point I don't know what the **** happened but Elios went after him.
And I yell "Elios leave it!" And he stops right in his tracks.

He is so leash aggressive.
And I feel like we have gone backwards with training because of a stray.
It's frustrating.
I can't walk anywhere with havin issues!
This is the first issue in a while too. I had been training on
vest for the last couple weeks and he only barked at a few people near our home.
And now this :/
Why do you think he does this?
Because the leash?
Because he is scared?
Protecting me?
Or agression?
I dont think it's agression.. I think it's the fact he is on a little leash.
Because he plays with dogs and has play dates with my friends all the time.
What do you think?
Here is a picture of my boy.
And the stray I tried to take a picture of behind us

See less See more
#3 ·
I can never tell..
Ugh. I know I have anxiety, but I feel calm at most parts..
I feel super confident walking him.
And then I'm always thinking when I'm walking, about life and what not.
Do you think that would be the only reason he react that way?

#4 ·
I do know that our own emotions and actions will influence our dogs. So when you're walking confidently and ignoring other things, you can teach your dog to do the same. If you're nervous and drawing attention to other things, you can put your dog in a heightened state of arousal - then he's not calm anymore, he's on alert. Maybe it's just that simple, and this is the problem. Maybe not - but if you can try to act like you own the world and everything you see is just a background then you might get different results. Next time you're out, try it :)

#8 ·
Thank you, I know I really wanted your guys opinion on his body language and so it wasn't just me thinking this!

#9 ·
My knee jerk reaction ...."And I yell "Elios leave it!" And he stops right in his tracks."...command and control was reestablished...perhaps your mentality at that moment changed as well as Elios's.

I agree with Gwenhwyfair...all and all it was reasonable considering the circumstances.

SuperG

#11 ·
Okay thank you guys! I feel much better now.
He seems to only have problems when they approach like that, or they are romping around and he is not and just sitting there staring at their fun
I feel better now. Thank you guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.