German Shepherds Forum banner

Very quick story...

893 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  A girl and her dog 
#1 ·
So, I've had a Chi since he was two weeks. I bottle fed him and all that good stuff. Even before I got my GSDmix, the Chi was a challenge at times. By challenge- I mean the things that come with small breeds. They can be little jerks.

Now that I have Nonny, and I see his personality (pretty laid back for a GSD, even a mix), I can really see the difference in the two. It's making me even more frustrated with the Chi. I actually like him even less and find myself favoring Nonny b/c he's so easy going and laid back. He doesn't challenge me like the Chi does. He actually wants to please me, not challenge me.

When we train, it's easy to reset and try again without him trying too hard to take control over the lesson like the Chi does. Granted, Nonny is still a baby and I know his challenges lie ahead. But for now, I feel sort of guilty that the contrast in demeanor and personality is making me dislike my Chi. The Chi is a brat! Not for lack of training or effort on my part; he has been treated like a "dog" from day one, not a little delicate baby. He just really stands out now that I have one so different.

#2 ·
Well Chihuahua's and German Shepherds are VASTLY different dogs, I have had 2 Chihuahua's, my current one is 12, they are bred to be companions, nothing more, nothing less, so to expect them to be as biddable as a German Shepherd is not really being fair. I know that Chi's are next to impossible to potty train, they are bossy, opinionated and live to rule the household, German Shepherds love to please and love to train, enjoy the differences in your dogs, don't dislike one because he's not the other. I have German Shepherds, a Chihuahua, Cairn Terriers and a JRT, I love each and every one of them and love the differences that make each one who they are, I love taking my little Chihuahua on errands, yes, dressed in little sweaters :), and I love having him cuddle under the covers with me at night, he is my little living stuffed animal and provides me several pleasures my German Shepherds can't. :)

#4 ·
Well Chihuahua's and German Shepherds are VASTLY different dogs, I have had 2 Chihuahua's, my current one is 12, they are bred to be companions, nothing more, nothing less, so to expect them to be as biddable as a German Shepherd is not really being fair. I know that Chi's are next to impossible to potty train, they are bossy, opinionated and live to rule the household, German Shepherds love to please and love to train, enjoy the differences in your dogs, don't dislike one because he's not the other. I have German Shepherds, a Chihuahua, Cairn Terriers and a JRT, I love each and every one of them and love the differences that make each one who they are, I love taking my little Chihuahua on errands, yes, dressed in little sweaters :), and I love having him cuddle under the covers with me at night, he is my little living stuffed animal and provides me several pleasures my German Shepherds can't. :)
Thanks for the perspective :) I do love the little guy, it's just that the ruler of the house issue gets to me at times.

How do you find balance and not get too irritated with the Chi?

#3 ·
I too have small dogs with a GSD. My rescue maltipoo is the devil wrapped in a sweet candy and chocolate package. My GSD is very laid back. Most nights they will play..GSD has one half of the tug, laying on his back, legs in the air while my maltipoo is like the Tasmanian devil on the other end of the tug, flipping around , growling. They are so cute together. Having the maltipoo makes me appreciate the laid back one more and I take the GSD more places because he is well behaved. But hes still great because unlike the GSD he loves cuddles anytime, The little stinker.

#5 ·
Oh, so true! They are hilariously adorable to watch playing! I admittedly get a kick out of watching the GS grow up and gain strength over the Chi who doesn't yet realize that this guy is going to out weigh him 10 times over, while he still thinks he's the boss.

I do know that the little one will likely try to maintain some leverage with the GS; he'll have to b/c of his size.

#7 ·
I see what you mean. Don't get me wrong - I love my Chi :) I'm just not in a situation to let him do whatever he wants. He could hurt himself. I wish I had a big area like you described to let my Chi have more run of things.
And just so no one gets the wrong idea - I will not let the GS hurt the little dog. That's not cool at all! It's cute when they're about evenly matched, but when that changes (like today or tomorrow), they won't be allowed to play alone until the GS is grown up more and has learned to be gentle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.