German Shepherds Forum banner

Jailbreak!!!

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Neko 
#1 ·
Wow. Okay, so our "puppy," Yogi is six months old. I took our other dog to the pet store because I never take her anywhere and left Yogi home in his wire crate. Locked. WITH ZIP TIES on the top where the lock mechanism is because he has pushed it to the unlock position before (without actually getting out).
I come home and the first thing I see when I walk in is a shredded paper towel. I inch inside and BOOM! Bombarded by the cutest, most imaginative puppy ever... And didn't he just look so happy.
Wire crate is ruined. Like, he chewed the zip ties off, pushed the door all the way open then proceeded to rip the whole **** thing off it's hinges and bent it beyond repair.
"WHAT DID YOU DO?!!" I yelled at him (that crate was $159.00!) and he walks over to his now door-less crate lays down and proceeds to SMILE AT ME. Full tongue to the side smile.
I'm not mad anymore but really?!! I had no idea he could accomplish that. No potty spots or broken things... I called the pet store and the owner laughed and said, "Well, I'll replace it for free because that was such an amazing feat and because well... He's adorable." *sigh* Time to go back to the pet store. That was the sturdiest one I've seen.

*-*Summer*-*

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Lucky Duck. I had to switch to crates like the frame welded crate...my beasties destroyed the wire/plastic and perfectly lovely (and horribly expensive) wooden crate that looked like furniture.

Jelpy

#9 ·
My parents had a lab mix that destroyed a wire crate; they ended up using multiple padlocks and zip ties. I mean this thing was Fort Knox and looked like Hannibal Lector's prison by the time they were ready to leave but she wasn't a bit trustworthy while out. She had massive SA and would literally eat books, kleenex, cushions, you name it while you were gone.

Either secure that crate completely or buy a new type, plastic may or may not work, or go straight to an aluminum crate like this one:

Leerburg | Full Ventilation Aluminum Dog Crate

#11 ·
Oh but he's a cute little crate smith.

Once they figure out they can get out, they'll keep doing it. At 5 months old, Venus figured out how to pull the back down. She also figured out how to poke her toes into the latch of a plastic/igloo crate and that was useless if I wasn't home.

Set her up in a thicker wire crate 42" secured with towing shackles rated for 2 tons on the back. She took down the front. Secured that, she started working on the welds. With her face, that was some explaining at the vet.

She completely demolished this first crate beyond what could ever be shackled back together. That was a good crate too, served me well for 20+ years! Fat Tony picked it off the curb for scrap metal.

So I got her the supposedly strongest crate until you start getting into those leerburg strong box type crates. She's bent the bars, analyzed and isolated a weak spot...

She still doesn't like it and we can't call it a crate, it's Venus' Cadillac. The Goddess must have her peanut butter Kong if she's going to be in there more than 10 minutes. There may not be anything ontop of her Cadillac. Or within arm's length because she has long legs and tiny feet that she can use like a hand without a thumb!

The only other thing that helped with crating was letting her sleep outside the box at night. She had a crate in my bedroom. There were a couple of freaky nights where she wouldn't stop playing and at some point she ate the coax to the cable but letting her sleep out has helped almost as much as the kong soother.

I wish you better luck with your crate smithy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.