German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Jailbreak!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/413778-jailbreak.html)

SummerGSDLover 02-20-2014 02:49 PM

Jailbreak!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Wow. Okay, so our "puppy," Yogi is six months old. I took our other dog to the pet store because I never take her anywhere and left Yogi home in his wire crate. Locked. WITH ZIP TIES on the top where the lock mechanism is because he has pushed it to the unlock position before (without actually getting out).
I come home and the first thing I see when I walk in is a shredded paper towel. I inch inside and BOOM! Bombarded by the cutest, most imaginative puppy ever... And didn't he just look so happy.
Wire crate is ruined. Like, he chewed the zip ties off, pushed the door all the way open then proceeded to rip the whole **** thing off it's hinges and bent it beyond repair.
"WHAT DID YOU DO?!!" I yelled at him (that crate was $159.00!) and he walks over to his now door-less crate lays down and proceeds to SMILE AT ME. Full tongue to the side smile.
I'm not mad anymore but really?!! I had no idea he could accomplish that. No potty spots or broken things... I called the pet store and the owner laughed and said, "Well, I'll replace it for free because that was such an amazing feat and because well... He's adorable." *sigh* Time to go back to the pet store. That was the sturdiest one I've seen.

*-*Summer*-*

SuperG 02-20-2014 03:24 PM

Great story....made me laugh...funny how they can win you over so quickly after they have laid ruin to a particular object....

SuperG

Michele Maxcy 02-20-2014 03:27 PM

HA! Love it :)

Okin 02-20-2014 03:28 PM

Wow that does not seem like an easy thing to accomplish. I got one where the door lifts up and then drops down in to a lock, then also has the traditional lock.

Athena'sMom 02-20-2014 04:09 PM

I had the same experience except my puppy damaged the house and so I made the switch to plastic crates! That put a stop to that...

Jelpy 02-20-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athena'sMom (Post 5056866)
I had the same experience except my puppy damaged the house and so I made the switch to plastic crates! That put a stop to that...

Lucky Duck. I had to switch to crates like the frame welded crate...my beasties destroyed the wire/plastic and perfectly lovely (and horribly expensive) wooden crate that looked like furniture.

Jelpy

SummerGSDLover 03-12-2014 01:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
He ruined another one. Help. :( I don't know how he's even doing this. The metal is so hard that I can't even bend it back.

*-*Summer*-*

K9POPPY 03-12-2014 02:32 PM

Jail bars?

YEP, looks like a mighty strong pup. you are indeed going to have to look into 1 of the welded crate models, Petedge.com sells them, good luck!:) Bob

Shade 03-12-2014 02:42 PM

My parents had a lab mix that destroyed a wire crate; they ended up using multiple padlocks and zip ties. I mean this thing was Fort Knox and looked like Hannibal Lector's prison by the time they were ready to leave but she wasn't a bit trustworthy while out. She had massive SA and would literally eat books, kleenex, cushions, you name it while you were gone.

Either secure that crate completely or buy a new type, plastic may or may not work, or go straight to an aluminum crate like this one:

Leerburg | Full Ventilation Aluminum Dog Crate

SummerGSDLover 03-12-2014 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the second one. I'm going to look into those reinforced steel or aluminum ones. Thanks. The thing is I can't even be mad about it. He's so darn cute it's not fair. Attachment 190362

*-*Summer*-*