German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Hey, guess who is channeling Houdini now? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/413354-hey-guess-who-channeling-houdini-now.html)

brembo 02-19-2014 05:38 PM

Hey, guess who is channeling Houdini now?

It would be my female, Allie. Seems she's taught herself to scale and jump chain-link. She does not really go anywhere once out of the yard but it still makes me nervous. She is an intact female and right at a year old...don't need any puppies, don't want any puppies.

Guess I'm going to fast-track that privacy fence I've been contemplating for awhile. Tho, I have a suspicion that a 6' privacy will just slow her down rather than stop her, she is pretty athletic and devastatingly intelligent.

Might try an electric strand on top of the existing for a quick-fix, but after watching her EASILY clear the 4' fence it is sorta like peeing into the wind.

What is the average leap height for a really compact and over=powered GSD. Allie weighs about 50 pounds, maybe less and has the leg muscles of a horse.

SuperG 02-19-2014 06:42 PM

Something else to consider....a friend of mine had two Malamutes....giant dogs...I think the two he had were abnormally large...130 and 145 pounds...and fit. His kennel for the two dogs was made out of sheep fencing two panels high...so 8 foot if my memory serves but certainly over my head...the gaps in the sheep fencing were 4X4 inches. He told me one day both his dogs had pulled the "Houdini act" and he found them outside the kennel causing no trouble of any sorts but he was scratching his head as to how they escaped....he said the only possibility is they crawled out over the top....well, this just seemed impossible but there was no other signs how they escaped as the structure was staked to the ground quite firmly. Anyway, one afternoon I am over at his place and happen to be looking out a window which overlooks the kennel and sure enough....I see Sitka the big male, climbing the sheep fencing...at one point Sitka has all four legs off the ground, climbing the fence....he got to the top and more or less threw his body over the top and voila...was on the other side...it was amazing to see this since I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own two eyes.....needless to say...the fix was placing a roof of sorts on top of the kennel.....no more Houdini....

For what it is worth...I have seen fencing which incorporates an inward angled portion at the top which does keep a climbing dog contained....my biggest concern would be a having the dog getting stuck at the top while trying to get over...it might end up horribly......

I wonder if they might make an "invisible fence" of sorts which could be incorporated in a normal fence which would act as a deterrent to fence scaling dogs???

SuperG

brembo 02-26-2014 10:16 AM

I did the electric fence thing. Boy what a flop at first.

I bought 20 or so fiberglass poles that I strapped to the fence posts and extended the height of the fence by 3 feet. Ran 3 strands of electric wire around the fence and thought smugly to myself "let's see you get outta that". Well, it took her all of NO time to compromise that new feature.

I ran one more strand right along the top bar of the fence, where she puts her paws to make the leap and that strand finally popped her. I got real lucky with that too, as she sniffed the insulator right before getting zapped, and now associates the yellow insulators with the shock. I think I could simply put up insulators and she'd avoid that area.

3 days now with no outside exploration from Allie. I feel a little bad for shocking her but a simple shock is a lot better than squealing tires and flat dog in my book.