One scary moment - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Default One scary moment

Just wanted to share this incident:

Yesterday we were walking our year old at a little park downtown, high traffic area, the park is actually the traffic circle with a good amount of pedestrian and canine traffic, and surrounded by shops, restaurants, theaters, etc. Our GSD got loose, the leash had somehow slipped off his collar and before we could grab him, he raced away, there was a lot of distraction, people, kids, other dogs, squirrels and tons of birds, and worse constant stream of cars on all sides. He ran to a man about 50,60 feet away wagging his tail and sniffing. Heart in my mouth, I called him and he raced back to me happy, wagging his tail. He probably heard the desperation in my voice. I gave him a bunch of treats and lots of praise. Although later I was happy that his recall which I had never tested this way(amongst this much distraction!) before was this good, I am never repeating this experience again!
Sri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 01:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Wow, glad that worked out okay! I would be terrified too. Good boy for coming right back to you when you called him!
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Wow, glad that worked out okay! I would be terrified too. Good boy for coming right back to you when you called him!
Debbie, yes, I was in tears when those moments ended . And ofcourse very proud of him.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That is my worse fear. My one dog is a pro at slipping out of her collar. She now has a martingale collar. I'm glad he came back to you without incident.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 01:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Very scary! I had a leash "somehow" come off a collar a couple of times with my previous girl when she was a pup. It prompted me to figure out how that could happen. Turns out the collar D ring that the leash is clipped on to was not round but more square meaning it could slip thru a leash clip that was not really really tight, which most are not. I loved the collar but not the D-ring so I quit using it. The leash was a good quality leash, the collar a pet collar.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

hmm.. yes, i am still wondering how it could have happened. I've been using leash and collar for months and this is the first time.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I know my heart would have been in my throat during all that. So glad you got the little fellow back without harm. It's always great when that training works out and the recall makes them turn and return immediately. A good thrill that your training paid off and the fact that your dog was safe. Glad everything worked out. Just curious, how did that guy your dog run up to react?

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratemom View Post
I know my heart would have been in my throat during all that. So glad you got the little fellow back without harm. It's always great when that training works out and the recall makes them turn and return immediately. A good thrill that your training paid off and the fact that your dog was safe. Glad everything worked out. Just curious, how did that guy your dog run up to react?

He was not too comfortable(from his body posture he looked wary), but not scared either. Luckily he just stood there and then continued walking once our dog started back toward us. I think we crossed paths with him again on our rounds around the circle, and if it was him(?), this time he laughed and reached out to pet the dog and waved to us.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Sri
Master Member

This is him, he actually looks smaller, thinner and more puppyish when he is standing, but I was thinking yesterday that I would be wary of a big dog like this running up to me

Last edited by Sri; 02-17-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
He was not too comfortable(from his body posture he looked wary), but not scared either. Luckily he just stood there and then continued walking once our dog started back toward us. I think we crossed paths with him again on our rounds around the circle, and if it was him(?), this time he laughed and reached out to pet the dog and waved to us.
Glad he was able to take it well. Sounds like he handled it pretty good since he was able to laugh and reach out afterwards. I can only imagine what it looked like to him with a GSD running towards him and the owner screaming calling it back. He was smart enough to stand still at least. Good job.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.