Opossum - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Default Opossum

Jumped out of shower to Fiona and Gilda barking like nuts. Opossum like to run across the back fence. I hear my mom yelling in the backyard. So I grab a towel and a robe. Dumb opossum is on the ground hiding behind the rose bushes. I tell my mom keep the dogs to the right and I try and drive it to the left. Gilda runs in there and grabs the opossum with her teeth and runs to the dark corner. Fiona joins her and it gets quiet. Gilda comes out of the dark corner behind Fiona's kennel. No Fiona. So I call her. She comes trotting out of the dark with the opossum in her mouth. I run screaming.

My mom gets the shovel and thinking it is dead, going to put it in the dumpster. Dogs won't let her. So I tiptoe outside ready to run screaming again and hand her a trash can to put over it. Fiona lays down beside it, guarding it. I try to keep the dogs away so mom can scoop. 10 minutes go by and an avocado falls from the tree. Dogs go after it. Perfect! "Mom scoop it up". " it is standing up!" I run screaming into the house again. Dogs scratch at garbage can and opossum is scratching to get out.

It is too much for me. I run in the house, close the blinds and turn up the tv. Gilda comes in the house and tries to give me a tongue bath ... With the same tongue that touched the opossum. I am having convulsions over the stupid opossum tongue of Gilda ... My mom is laughing so hard she cannot breathe.

Ok, so I am scared of opossum. They are ugly and gross. Now I need someone to get it out of the backyard, because it really is dead this time. Mom does not think it is a good idea to feed it to the dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

thanks for the big laugh.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

An opossum is one tough animal and I would NOT feed it to the dogs. They are dirty animals and I'd be worried about parasites. They are tough to kill that's for sure. My neighbours husky got a hold of one and ripped it's spine right out and the thing was still alive for a bit. Crazy. I also ran one over with the Jeep accidentally and it just got up and ran off.
GreenCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

recently we have had a lot of opposums here , Ontario ! , at the front door , at the garage -- they are harmless, beneficial , awesome biology , high immune system to most bacteria and even rabies -- something worthy of study.

They play dead , and will emit "dead" smelling scents , which inhibit prey on the dogs. Yes one of my dogs found one in the garage and picked it up , ran the victory loop then brought it to me . I held her collar , she released, I flipped her outside of the garage door while I was inches away absolutely fascinated by this primitive living creature . Put in on the grain shovel , and marched it to the tree line . Watched it wander off .

They don't dig, or destroy wiring -- will catch and eat roof rats --

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had no idea what a opossum was so had to google it. I think they are sooo cute. Are they some kind of pest?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
tottie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Pretty cool animals. They are immune to snake venom. They don't dig to create dens so they aren't destructive, at least around my house. We see them quite often. A dog will snap one up from time to time, but they spit them out pretty quickly.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with you, Cheyanna, about opossumes being ugly and gross. Sadly, I could not keep myself from giggling a little because I can picture my mom and I responding the way you did, while my dad would be trying to kill it with Gypsy trying to be of assistance to him.
3GSD92_00_12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

Years back our gsd mix dog and our gsd were hunting in the woods out back and when they came it we didn't notice the mix had brought us a gift, doing her part for the pack. She dropped the opossum on the kitchen floor thinking it was dead. It quickly came back to life and ran into the dining room under the hutch. Getting it into the garbage can to release it was interesting to say the least. Opossums are nasty but very cool little creatures.
SPOTACUS MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

they are immune to snake venom !
nasty - not at all --

Carmspack
carmspack is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Thats too funny. I was chased my one once, not my favorite animal on earth either

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
TommyB681 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.