German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Opossum (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/411658-opossum.html)

Cheyanna 02-16-2014 12:30 AM

Opossum

Jumped out of shower to Fiona and Gilda barking like nuts. Opossum like to run across the back fence. I hear my mom yelling in the backyard. So I grab a towel and a robe. Dumb opossum is on the ground hiding behind the rose bushes. I tell my mom keep the dogs to the right and I try and drive it to the left. Gilda runs in there and grabs the opossum with her teeth and runs to the dark corner. Fiona joins her and it gets quiet. Gilda comes out of the dark corner behind Fiona's kennel. No Fiona. So I call her. She comes trotting out of the dark with the opossum in her mouth. I run screaming.

My mom gets the shovel and thinking it is dead, going to put it in the dumpster. Dogs won't let her. So I tiptoe outside ready to run screaming again and hand her a trash can to put over it. Fiona lays down beside it, guarding it. I try to keep the dogs away so mom can scoop. 10 minutes go by and an avocado falls from the tree. Dogs go after it. Perfect! "Mom scoop it up". " it is standing up!" I run screaming into the house again. Dogs scratch at garbage can and opossum is scratching to get out.

It is too much for me. I run in the house, close the blinds and turn up the tv. Gilda comes in the house and tries to give me a tongue bath ... With the same tongue that touched the opossum. I am having convulsions over the stupid opossum tongue of Gilda ... My mom is laughing so hard she cannot breathe.

Ok, so I am scared of opossum. They are ugly and gross. Now I need someone to get it out of the backyard, because it really is dead this time. Mom does not think it is a good idea to feed it to the dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

doggiedad 02-16-2014 12:36 AM

thanks for the big laugh.

GreenCo 02-16-2014 12:45 AM

An opossum is one tough animal and I would NOT feed it to the dogs. They are dirty animals and I'd be worried about parasites. They are tough to kill that's for sure. My neighbours husky got a hold of one and ripped it's spine right out and the thing was still alive for a bit. Crazy. I also ran one over with the Jeep accidentally and it just got up and ran off.

carmspack 02-16-2014 12:51 AM

recently we have had a lot of opposums here , Ontario ! , at the front door , at the garage -- they are harmless, beneficial , awesome biology , high immune system to most bacteria and even rabies -- something worthy of study.

They play dead , and will emit "dead" smelling scents , which inhibit prey on the dogs. Yes one of my dogs found one in the garage and picked it up , ran the victory loop then brought it to me . I held her collar , she released, I flipped her outside of the garage door while I was inches away absolutely fascinated by this primitive living creature . Put in on the grain shovel , and marched it to the tree line . Watched it wander off .

They don't dig, or destroy wiring -- will catch and eat roof rats --

tottie86 02-16-2014 01:10 AM

I had no idea what a opossum was so had to google it. I think they are sooo cute. Are they some kind of pest?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

David Winners 02-16-2014 01:15 AM

Pretty cool animals. They are immune to snake venom. They don't dig to create dens so they aren't destructive, at least around my house. We see them quite often. A dog will snap one up from time to time, but they spit them out pretty quickly.

3GSD92_00_12 02-16-2014 01:15 AM

I agree with you, Cheyanna, about opossumes being ugly and gross. Sadly, I could not keep myself from giggling a little because I can picture my mom and I responding the way you did, while my dad would be trying to kill it with Gypsy trying to be of assistance to him.

SPOTACUS MAXIMUS 02-16-2014 01:29 AM

Years back our gsd mix dog and our gsd were hunting in the woods out back and when they came it we didn't notice the mix had brought us a gift, doing her part for the pack. She dropped the opossum on the kitchen floor thinking it was dead. It quickly came back to life and ran into the dining room under the hutch. Getting it into the garbage can to release it was interesting to say the least. Opossums are nasty but very cool little creatures.

carmspack 02-16-2014 01:37 AM

they are immune to snake venom !
nasty - not at all --

TommyB681 02-16-2014 07:38 AM

Thats too funny. I was chased my one once, not my favorite animal on earth either