German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Driving from Florida to Ohio with 3 dogs, 1 is my 110lb GSD (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/408722-driving-florida-ohio-3-dogs-1-my-110lb-gsd.html)

panchovilla 02-09-2014 11:55 AM

Driving from Florida to Ohio with 3 dogs, 1 is my 110lb GSD

Good morning to all!! I will be moving from Fort Lauderdale to Cincinnati this Tuesday and am driving all the way up with my 3 dogs. One is a black lab mix, my chihuahua mix and my GSD. I have never done such a drive in my life let alone with 3 dogs. Any advice??

Thank you :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

pyratemom 02-09-2014 01:14 PM

Take your time. Give yourself plenty of time for potty breaks. The interstates and the turnpike have great rest areas. I drove up to Michigan from Florida a couple years ago with just me and my dog. We had a great time. I took a cooler for me and one for my dog. I also took lots of water from home and when that ran out used only bottled water to avoid the runs caused by changes in water. Antlers are great chew sticks while in the car as they don't make a mess on the dog or the car. Days Inns, Motel 8's and La Quinta's usually all allow dogs. Smaller places may allow dogs if you offer to pay a security fee to cover any damage. By the way Luv's Truck Stops are great to stop at if you see one and most have Arby's attached. They are very roomy and all the employees I dealt with are really honest - honest enough to return my credit card I dropped on the ground. Do you plan to crate or seat belt your fur kids? Make sure either way they are contained when you stop to let one out so they don't all dash out. Have fun and drive safe.

doggiedad 02-09-2014 02:44 PM

the morning of the long drive i take the dog out for
a long walk and ball play. i throw his ball and he brings it
back. i feed him an hour or 2 before we leave. i take
enough food and snacks for all of us. i bring enough
spring water for all of us. i take an extra leash just in case
i lose one. knowing where the E-Vets are located near your
route is helpful. i stop for a break every hour or 2. let a few
people know your route. maybe they can track you via your phone,
GPS or some other device. give yourself plenty of time for
travel and breaks. enjoy the trip.

panchovilla 02-09-2014 09:49 PM

thank you both for your tips!!! Will definitely take all advice into consideration. This will be interesting to say the least. We will be stopping in Atlanta hopefully by Tuesday night for rest, then Wednesday to Cinci straight. Oh boy!!!

marbury 02-10-2014 01:13 AM

I took all five of mine to work and back 2 hrs each way 5 days a week for months. Three GSDs (one a pup), an 80lb mixed breed and a 25lb grumpy old man. The first few trips everybody was looking out the windows, expecting a trip to the park or something... Then they just accepted it was snooze time. Get 'em used to it and they're likely to sleep the whole way.
If your dogs go potty at home every 8 hours there's no need to stop every 4 to potty. Just remember to offer water.

GSKnight 02-10-2014 09:20 AM

I drove to Ft. Myers from Pittsburgh and back with Viktor. As others have said, the rest stops all have dog walk areas. Some are better than others. The only other thing i did was to get a CB radio to talk to the truckers along the way... Viktor is a good listener, but not very engaging.

For a laugh while planning your trip, read this link to a blog where a girl talks about moving with her dogs... it is very funny:

Hyperbole and a Half: Dogs Don't Understand Basic Concepts Like Moving

shepherdmom 02-10-2014 09:36 AM

Moved states with 5 dogs and 2 unhappy teenagers. It was not fun. My biggest problem was my dogs who were used to my 10 acres would not pee or poo for hours. One dog held it for almost 12 hours. I was beside myself worried about him. We had done stuff off our property they had been obedience trained etc. I guess we just never noticed that when we were out they didn't pee and waited until we got home.

I brought their crates and that was a lifesaver. Stopping for the night and once we were in the new place it gave each of them their own space to feel safe.

TexasCrane 02-10-2014 11:13 AM

FWIW, I would take 95 up to 26 to 40 and then 75, going through Asheville rather than 75 the whole way up. 75 will be a little shorter distance wise, but driving through Atlanta sucks and if you get caught in traffic that could easily add an hour or two to the drive. I also really like that section of road in between Asheville and Knoxville.

Baileysowner 02-11-2014 11:25 AM

I drove from cincinnnti to arizona in a couple days only stopped to stay the night on witchita falls texas one night and the next in san antonio.. then to tucson.. the first stretch was like 15 hours lol my advise is to make ur rests short and sweet and drive fast lol florida to cinci is pretty much 75 so 7 dont gotta worry about directions.. and u can fly on 75.. good luck!

Baileysowner 02-11-2014 11:27 AM

Also.benadryl is ur best friend! Vet said my gsd can take 3 cuz dogs can take more then humans and not fall asleep.. also my vet sold sum sedative type treats that worked pretty well