(Update) Our one on one with a trainer! (moved from general info) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default (Update) Our one on one with a trainer! (moved from general info)

So I thought since my other 2 threads... Was this Aggression, and/or is it fixable? (moved from Gen Info) and Should I continue training? had me going to a one on one.. I would update by starting a new thread instead of updating both seperately.. if you haven't read my others above, and are confused.. read those first (if interested as always )

We had our first ever one on one with a trainer. I really really liked her and she seemed to know her stuff. She has a lot of certifications and success stories and my SAR team lead used to teach with her and spoke very highly of her. Anyways, I was very surprised when she said I did very well training him.. and he was a very very good boy. BUT we just needed to tighten things up a bit. As discussed here I talked about my getting lax with him and not enforcing things as much as I should, she said she could notice a bit. She also corrected me on some habits she noticed when observing us work, which I was thankful for. You do so many things you don't realize when working with your dog.

She sent us home for 2 weeks working on a handful of things. The first is his sit/down-stay with distractions, has a sit/down-stay with no distractions perfect. Working up to an emergency down. We are going to work on his recall as well. Since "come" is spoiled for him, and I use "here" in place of "heel," we are going to introduce "fuss." We got him fitted with a prong collar to enforce his already decent loose leash walking. 75% loose 25% medium tension.. so she thought it would be good for him.. We used it the whole session and it was a miracle worker I tell ya!

We are also going to work on his vocals/protection when people come over/into "his" place (this case it was the training room). This was something that struck me as odd, only because I have never heard of it before but she uses vinegar.. Like in a bottle to spray at them. That's her negative. She basically wants us to use it only in this situation. She said that because he gets so intense when someone comes in the house that he needs something to break that focus and treats/distraction aren't working for us. SO she showed us there, actually, when someone came in the room that Titan wasn't expecting. He started barking and she sprayed him with the vinegar and said "enough!" and he stopped, let out one more bark, she sprayed again said "enough!" and he stopped and didn't do it again.. so it's effective. She told me to research vinegar use in training if I'm uncomfortable with it, so I thought I would ask you guys what you thought. It seemed to work but it's just new to me. I have read that it won't hurt them in any way they just don't like it. I suppose like bitter apple or something?

We did some stay work tonight with distraction and it went VERY well. I had him in a sit-stay and was bouncing a ball all around the room (for those of you unfamiliar... this is Titan's vice... seriously I think would DIE for the ball) but he did fantastic.. staring intently but didn't move. She also said this training will help him when i have guests over and he is too hyper, I can put him in a sit-stay and he won't come out til I release him.

Anyways.. there's my update.. I am very happy with what we talked about. She gave me her number in case I have questions or wanted some advice. Thank you all for the advice and support! It means a lot to me

Whitney

Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
Gulf Coast Search and Recovery
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

The vinegar is new for me but I see it in the context...ok....well I don't know

The obedience seems to go a long way to help tidy things up. I used to hear and argue that "too much obedience" can ruin a SAR dog but some seem to need more obedience than others. Beau is that way and he works better with more focus if we do obedience before actually starting a search or training. We usually run through the NAPWDA obedience routine.

Yes, having a good trainer is so helpful. I look forward to getting back with the one who was going to work with us. I know he still will but with a new baby and toddler twins and this week the snowfall and I know they have their own NAPWDA certs coming up in their department....it may not be on the timescale I want .

So what is her prognosis for continuing SAR?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well I certainly can't wait to read more of your experiences with a trainer they are very insightful and motivating.

As for us and SAR she sees no reason we can't continue once we get a few things solid. The 2 for us are.. the impeccable recall and the emergency down. Said she had a situation with her retriever once where she was completely going for a man and if it wasn't for the emergency down she would have gotten him. On top of that I told her that because of the incident I am less confident in his off leash time.. so I need to build that confidence up or it will transfer to him.

I'm excited to work with her.. she seems to really have a knowledge for what we specifically need to do and work on. Titan has been doing awesome with his stay this week. We have worked up to a few distractions and even tried having my BF call him over after I put him in a "Stay" wanted to go but didn't budge until I came back to him and said ok. Then ran right to dad.. lol. But it's been nice working with him on new things.. I'll admit.. The routine stuff is, well, routine and can get boring for both of us.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Whitney

Old 02-12-2014, 02:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

One thing that helped me with the emergency down (obviously ask her) was to throw the toy PAST the dog not between me and the dog for the reward. The first guy we trained with (former MWD now police dept trainer but moved away ) told us that NOT rewarding in the space between us and the dog would help with both that and with commitment to source. It was easier to me to get the down in motion (required for NAPWDA cert anyway) pegged first the apply the down command while he was on a recall.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 04:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Sounds really good, it helps sometimes when someone can motivate you. There was a thread on here about using vinegar. I would be concerned about the vinegar getting into their eyes, even if it is watered down, wouldn't it hurt their eyes?

if your GSD is eating and eating and eating and losing weight - please consider testing for EPI.

http://www.epi4dogs.com/epiinsnapshots.htm
Harry and Lola is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

You may consider this instead of the vinegar.

Company Of Animals Pet Corrector

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RET... )
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
David Winners is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
One thing that helped me with the emergency down (obviously ask her) was to throw the toy PAST the dog not between me and the dog for the reward. The first guy we trained with (former MWD now police dept trainer but moved away ) told us that NOT rewarding in the space between us and the dog would help with both that and with commitment to source. It was easier to me to get the down in motion (required for NAPWDA cert anyway) pegged first the apply the down command while he was on a recall.
Interesting.. I will certainly look at that and ask her about it. I'm excited to get these things started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry and Lola View Post
Sounds really good, it helps sometimes when someone can motivate you. There was a thread on here about using vinegar. I would be concerned about the vinegar getting into their eyes, even if it is watered down, wouldn't it hurt their eyes?
That's what I asked but she said that it would be uncomfortable for a few minutes but it wouldn't damage their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
You may consider this instead of the vinegar.

Company Of Animals Pet Corrector
Intriguing... I'm going to have to read more on that. Sounds failry effective.

Whitney

Old 02-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did some great socialization today and he did amazing! Honestly the first time we've gone to a restaurant in some time so I was a little nervous especially with that incidents weeks ago. He even got fawned all over by everyone and was just perfect! Had the prong on in case i needed it but he was leashed to his flat for the whole time. We were sat in a high traffic area which at first made me a little nervous but it went so well. He ignored most everyone unless they asked to pet him and just focused on me.. he knew mom had his high value treats. Our doorbell bark control went well today too.

Just super proud of my boy. My confidence in him is coming back!

We also have the stay almost solid. He's amazing with almost all distractions.. The only one I can do that pulls him out of it is a sit/stay and me and the BF play catch for a minute a distance away.. he's good mostly but it's the one he eventually gets up for.

Regardless just very happy with our progress.. His listening and my growing patience and consistency.

Happy Whitney

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Whitney

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.