Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)

I have been going for walks at our local park, and it seems like every small dog that I come by with mishka tries to bite her.

The owners seem to find it so funny and I'm really fed up with it.

Yesterday a woman was walking her mini schnauzers and stopped to meet my dog. One of them growled and snapped at mishka and she started saying "it's okay" talking to her dog. Luckily I pulled my girl back as soon as I heard the growl.... I'm just so tired of untrained small dogs. Does anyone have a good, well trained one? If so... Please post a video...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Mishka&Milo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2014, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Ha! I wish I even knew someone with a small dog that had any kind of manners or training. Maybe I'm stereotyping but every small dog owner I know should own cats....
Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

We had a fantastic min-pin growing up, trained, great with kids and a fairly high threshold. Sadly, that was a good twenty years ago, I have yet to see her equal. But then, I'm not particularly attracted to small dogs...

Scout's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah, I hate going out with my dogs and having little dogs act like idiots.

I've had several Italian Greyhounds over the years, and I have a 14 year old one now, and they NEVER acted like that towards other dogs. They all went to training classes... I don't have a video of anyone doing obedience, but I have one of them being cute, LOL. (and please ignore the click clack of the toenails, they were long overdue!)

Carly ~ AKC Champion, GCh pointed, HIC
Sage ~ AKC Ch. pointed (13 pts - chasing that last major), HIC
Russell ~ the big boy
Zelda ~ 14 yo Italian Greyhound, puppymill rescue
Mimi ~ the meezer
dogfaeries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Haha, what do you consider small? My Mini Aussies are 25-30lbs and they are all well behaved I've also seen quite a few good small dogs... however, the majority are simply owned by people who fall a bit short when it comes to socializing and training :/ Actually, I think they act just like their little dogs... completely fearless... because when their little dog is charging a big dog they don't seem to consider the fact that a single well placed bite could kill their dog. So neither the little dog or the owner have any survival sense...
The birds: Dante - CAG / Nero and Sunshine - Budgies
e.rigby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Haha yay a thread for my little guy

I have a 3 year old 8lb Chinese crested who is 100% off leash trained - no matter what. He is perfect with any dog, even "aggressive" ones (I have used him in obedience classes to help socialize him) he does lure coursing, and we have taken dozens of OB classes including rally.

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875161.421672.jpg
At stay at the middle of the pet expo

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875181.740155.jpg
Down say in OB class (outside) with a dog is is fearful of other dogs

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875223.499244.jpg
Down stay at the park

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875245.331567.jpg
Stand stay

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875259.222863.jpg
Down

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875268.844488.jpg

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875279.213821.jpg
Stand stay

And some videos
http://youtu.be/ybK0-IVMsyA

http://youtu.be/h5zVFQ9Rl3Y

Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875635.680064.jpg
At work (I work at petco)

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875666.256969.jpg
Lure coursing
Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875702.389579.jpg Haha ok I'm done now I promise

Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2014, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have a 15 lb pug and as well as doing years of obedience training she also competed in agility for a short time. I would say she is well trained. As long as a Rottweiler doesn't walk next to her is just fine. For some reason she hates rotties.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

My parents have a pug that is very well behaved, though has not had any formal obedience training. Knows the basics on and off-leash and some fun tricks including "dance", "speak" and they've trained her to jump over a stick too lol.

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391875912.168465.jpg

Does ANYONE have a well trained small dog?!? (moved to stories)-imageuploadedbypg-free1391876117.914279.jpg

Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg

Well, I think it would help determine what your asking; i. e. What is a well trained small dog ?

I can answer about my Jack but is that the answer your looking for ? Is he small enough. No, he's not perfect in any way shape of form. But he is very trained in certain things. He loves to hunt for Gophers, loves digging at the campsite, (go to ground). He will jump on a 4' wall in less the two seconds when asked, if he wish's to do so. He will sit at every crosswalk on command and wait for the okay signal when the street is clear. He will jump up on the Park drinking fountain on command and stop like a cat to get a drink, although I don't allow that too often because it is not a safe practice, but he enjoys it. He will roll over and roll back upon command for a treat. He barks a lot. Very fast to see me grab my keys, a few doggie bags, put on my socks and shoes, he know's that outcome, but he's noisy. His manner's with other animals is fair at best. A very loving dog at 15" and 18.5 lbs. but he don't like chihuahua's.

Most small dogs are not controlled well because the owner thinks it's cute and sorry to say their wrong. Bad behavior needs constant - consistant attention. Nelson is wonderful with small children and they are told to hold their hand out and stand tall with their face out of reach. Children need to be instructed each and every time and the dog needs to hear the command gentle..

I would rate him a strong 5 on a 10 scale. He is not fearful of larger animals. Getting him to heel and keep his nose up is a constant. The leash goes forward and the head comes up, upon correction. Then after all the training is finished he get's playtime where were both in a more relaxed state. Nelson's Valor, JRT is Nov. 2006 (7). He loves his mommy, like chocolate cake.. No cake for the dog..

I hope at least I covered one of your questions..!!
sehrgutcsg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.