German Shepherds Forum banner

Just ranting

3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  lindadrusilla 
#1 ·
Met an annoying woman today who quizzed me about my dog!

At first I thought she was only being curious & friendly, asking me nicely if she could ask me a few questions about him.

Started off by asking if I got him locally, how old is he, gender blah blah. Fairly innocent questions.

Then asked if he was fixed & that I should do it now or he'll be sexually attracted to me, why would I have "such a vicious breed" around children & people in the compound, I should have him trained so that he is not distracted by anything, and that he is aggressive towards!!

I agree that he should be fixed but I want to do it when he is about 3 years old, and I know he should be trained but I couldn't find a professional trainer here! I am training him by myself & he can heal reasonably well, shakes my hand, high-five, rolls over etc but he barks at cats & stray dogs & wary of humans.

But its not like I let him go off-leash & run around terrorising people and kids??!! He normally just minds his own business as long as no one pays any attention to us.. But the kids are usually the one chasing him & provoking him!

Then she said "trust me, i've raised dogs for 35 years" but she had to ask if mine was a gsd??! Bleah!!

Magick's mum

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh well.....everyone has an opinion..including me.

Certain breeds and larger dogs usually get a reputation of sorts by many and unfortunately the reputation might not always be correct.

When I get that routine from some folks I will try and interject some humor and/or sarcasm. One of my favorites is when some ask if my GSD is vicious...I like to say "of course not' and then have her give me a kiss or lick my hand...followed by .."well, I think so or she could just be tasting me before she attacks and eats me".

There are many crazy notions out there mixed in with the good ideas...I have yet to hear the one about fixing a dog lest they become sexually attracted to you....that's a good one. I think I might have replied.." oh, no worries, as long as I eat garlic once a day, it wards off all sexual advances...."

As soon as I meet a crazy dog person, I immediately decide to just roll with their comments and perhaps humor them in a subtle fashion.

We are all dog experts....including me ;)

SuperG

#14 ·
Took place in our living area. I dont know what made her speak to me either??

I was walking my dog & she arrived to her building in a cab behind us, alighted and immediately called out to me, "Excuse me, may I ask you a few questions about your dog?"

So I thought she was just being curious, being a muslim and all. We get that a lot here, they're just curious and wanna have a closer look at the dog.. Some just want to touch him.

#9 ·
Some people. *sigh* I brought my GSD puppy to meet my cousins for the first time and my 12 year old cousin asked "aren't they aggressive dogs? Why would you want a vicious dog?" I was speechless. She was just misinformed so I gave her a little gsd/bully breed education. People have misconceptions. The woman you spoke to obviously has A LOT of them. It's hard to change an adults ideology so I would just say in sorry you feel that way, they are great dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#20 ·
Sounds like your living situation could get stressful, so of course you wanted to be polite. I hope you can avoid this person as much as possible so they don't spread their fear to others in the compound.

At least you have the internet to vent!
Are GSDs popular in Saudi Arabia? and what do you think a more "acceptable" breed would be to the woman who made the comment to you?

#21 ·
Then asked if he was fixed & that I should do it now or he'll be sexually attracted to me, why would I have "such a vicious breed" around children & people in the compound, I should have him trained so that he is not distracted by anything, and that he is aggressive towards!!
The proper response to the sexual advance comment is, "I've been hit on by uglier men that do less around the house."

#23 ·
this is nice "I am training him by myself & he can heal reasonably well, shakes my hand, high-five, rolls over " (but useless parlor tricks)

this is where he will be judged and impressions made of his character and your ability "but he barks at cats & stray dogs & wary of humans" . Concentrate on good social manners , good control, unfailing recall and an emergency stop . You said kids are chasing and provoking him ? Prevent an incident .

#26 ·
Like I said, I thought she was just being friendly & engaging in casual chat when she asked about the dog and "what can he do".

I posted on another thread about not knowing how to train him on good social manners for he seems to choose who to make friends with. I can't find a trainer here to work with, so if anyone has any suggestions on how I can train him by myself, please kindly share.

I am already trying to stop him from chasing cats by shortening the leash & calming him down making him sit then reward him when he does so. There is a slight improvement but I really dont know how I can stop it totally. And the stray dogs! They're everywhere & very territorial. I just fell into a drain the other night trying to pull Magick back from them.

And kids, yes they chase & provoke him, throw little stones too. I try to prevent but its just not possible because when I get down from our apartment and there they are. Or they see him from afar and start screaming & running towards us. I dont even know whose kids are those and parents are nowhere in sight! >.<

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.