German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Not even safe in my house anymore... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/405810-not-even-safe-my-house-anymore.html)

Sarah~ 02-03-2014 06:10 AM

Not even safe in my house anymore...

There are so many off leash dogs here, it's really ridiculous... Eko is DA and has to wear a muzzle outside we are in training to get him to ignore other dogs, he has made some progress but it is slow.

When I went to answer the door earlier today Eko came with me as usual, when I opened the door there was a woman there and a little pit mix who immediately charged into my house and into Eko's face. I'm shocked I reacted so quickly but I managed to grab the little dog's and Eko's collar, one in each hand and I yanked both dogs up off of their front feet on reflex just as Eko's jaws were snapping shut where the other dog's head was... I don't think I handled it the best way but I tossed the dog back through the door at the lady (the dog didn't get hurt I didn't do it hard just to get the dog out) and wrestled Eko back inside. He didn't bite me but his teeth scraped my knuckles and scratched me and drew blood a little bit.

The lady was screaming at me for throwing her dog, I was trying to figure out what she was even doing at my house in the first place and why the heck she just let her dog run in my house, I think she was on drugs or looking for some, she says she was looking for someone who apparently used to live in my house but I've lived there for a few years now so I don't know what she was thinking. The whole time we are arguing her dog is just running amuk in the neighborhood, I guess she just walks around with the dog off leash wherever she goes. I don't think she was in her right mind because after a while she calmed down and started asking me for like a soda or some food and if she could sleep on my couch. I said **** no get out of here before I call the cops, and she just walked off, didn't even call her dog just started walking and the dog was just running from one side of the street to the other following her.

A weird, scary experience, I feel bad for her dog, mostly I'm angry, though. I hope if Eko had hurt her dog and the cops showed up they would see she was totally in the wrong, but wouldn't they still have to report the bite? Would I have had to pay for the vet bills for the other dog? Sorry for the long read, just been stewing about this all day... The more I think about it the angrier I get.

SuperG 02-03-2014 09:12 AM

My junior woodchuck attorney response would be ....no way on paying the other dog's vet bill as the other dog entered your premises uninvited with owner at hand...end of story.

Wow, the whole story sounds crazy...much like the other lady.

Good thing you have quick reflexes and separated the two.

Personally, I would like to think I would have done exactly the same.

I assume there is only a single door...no outer screen or glass door...otherwise I would never open the outer door until I surveyed the situation and was confident no situations might take place by opening the door.

Feel bad for you and the other dog......sounds like the other lady is having some considerable difficulties of her own.

F. Lee. SuperG

MichaelE 02-03-2014 09:17 AM

It sounds as though you almost experienced a passive home invasion.

I would have called the police and given them a full report of this incident and a description of this woman. You don't know how many other people she has tried this on. She may also be casing your house for herself or someone else to report vulnerabilities.

Definitely report this.

Kaimeju 02-03-2014 09:20 AM

No, he dog was trespassing on your property, you did nothing wrong. You would have to check local ordinances because they vary. This is a strange enough incident that you should report it. I would be livid if this happened to me. But I guess you know now that Eko can't answer the door. :(

Regarding off-leash dogs, I have recently started driving to a nearby baseball field instead of walking through the neighborhood because we got attacked. It has lowered my stress levels SO much. I hate feeling like I'm walking through a minefield whenever I leave the house. It's much better to play fetch in a big empty field, and we can practice off-leash obedience besides.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

KathrynApril 02-03-2014 09:23 AM

Yikes! So sorry that happened. :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

ken k 02-03-2014 09:30 AM

well, you did the right thing, you were protecting your pup, I'm sure your training has been setback because of this,

Twyla 02-03-2014 09:36 AM

File a report to get it on record.

Years ago, in a previous home; there was a man who didn't like to take his meds as he was supposed to. It began with off the wall singing and yelling as he walked down the street and progressively got worse including threats to various neighbors. The last incident got very ugly. He terrorized our next door neighbor, actually broke her front door, then headed to our house. Began with banging on the house, put his hand through the window of the front door, yelling he was going to kill. I was on the phone with 911, they were hearing all this as it happened; other half was standing at the front door holding it closed - then of course had to go all macho and go outside <sigh> . Police arrived and it went down hill from there. When all the excitement was over, they told us that if there had been reports of this guy all along, there could have been action taken before it got so bad.

File a report.

Okin 02-03-2014 09:37 AM

Sorry that happened. My last dog got attacked 3 times by pits off leash in the park (not a dog park and leash laws applied). All 3 times luckily it was broken up before real damage happened and my dog never had any wounds. Usually the pits had bloody faces/tongues from my dog defensively biting at them when they tried to lock down on her. No one ever tried to sue or report it.

Gwenhwyfair 02-03-2014 10:50 AM

On the bright side your dog being aggressive may have just had your house crossed off the 'easy mark' list.

My parent's house was broken into last year. Just prior to that break in a lady had been wandering the neighborhood, not acting quite normal. When she was asked 'what are you doing here', she responded looking for house cleaning work.More then likely she was casing houses.

Often women are the ones sent to do that as women are not perceived as much of a threat as men who are or look out of place.

katdog5911 02-03-2014 11:12 AM

i agree...report it.

And don't know the laws in your area but I cannot imagine that you would be responsible for any injuries to the other dog. This past summer a neighbor's dog came running onto my property. My dog went for the dog. My neighbor came running to grab her dog and unfortunately got bit (not badly) by my girl when my dog was fighting with the other dog. She wound up going to the hospital as a precaution so a report was made to AC. I was so worried that my girl (who has NO human aggression) would be in trouble. I called AC and was told the other dog was roaming and trespassing on my property. As far as the bite...don't stick your hand in the middle of a dog fight. So no bad marks against my dog.
And that was just on my property not a dog charging into my house!