German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   You need to train your dog!!!! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/405082-you-need-train-your-dog.html)

HOBY 02-01-2014 11:32 AM

You need to train your dog!!!!

This was recently said to me about my boy pup Hoby by a person that has never owned a dog. I found myself a little offended by it as I have owned, trained, help people train many dogs. I am sure this type of thing has happened to most of us at least once. Allow me to explain.

I have a 20'W x 40'L X 6'H pen with various agility equipment. A great place for a pup to train and play. There is a young boy, 12 years of age that comes over to play with Hoby quite often. The two are all over each other playing hard, both making happy play time noise. It is nice to watch them in the kennel as my kids are grown and away from home. The boys father who has watched me work with Hoby was all in favor of the set up. In the early visits the father would go in and watch and even participate in the action, although he didn't know what he was doing. This had been going on for months. Hoby was nutz to see the young man. The boy enjoys Hoby so much he has asked if Hoby and I could come over for dinner. "I gotta ask my Mom first." Cute I thought.

Hoby has gotten bigger, stronger with a good off button and has been doing fine in advanced obedience and novice rally. A while back we had a January thaw. The ground was muddy every where. Timmy showed up at my door and asked if he could play with Hoby. I told Timmy the way you two play you will be full of mud in no time. Timmy didn't care. I would always go out and ask Timmy if he had enough, he always wanted to stay. They played for over an hour and yes they were both covered in mud. Holy mud bath I thought. In the mean time the father came over to get Timmy. The father who looked stunned at the sight of Timmy would not go in the pen.

He was obviously perturbed so I had Hoby WAIT as I opened the gate and let Timmy out. As Dad grabbed his son he said to me "YOU NEED TO TRAIN YOUR DOG!!!". Totally surprised by this comment my reply, "your son and my dog have a connection you don't get". As they walked away Timmy turned to say "Bye Hoby". As they made distance from me I heard the father say " you are not getting in my car like that, did you step in dog poop", bla bla bla bla bla [my pen is clean as a whistle]. I have not seen them since. They are good neighbors and a fine family. I am sure the parents let Timmy come over not realizing the ground conditions. I feel Hoby loses as the relationship with Timmy was good for the both of them.

Chip18 02-01-2014 11:48 AM

Aww I'm sorry, you and Hoby did nothing wrong, Some people are just anal! Hopefully dad will calm the heck down. Obviously his car is more important then his sons happiness!

But on a good note you most likely made a future GSD owner out of the young man! :)

Springbrz 02-01-2014 12:05 PM

Aww...poor Hoby and Timmy. What ever happened to the days the parents sent their kids out to play knowing they would come home dirty.
When my kids went out to play, if they didn't come home dirty, I asked what went wrong....lol!
Today's germ-a-phobes....jeez!

havery 02-02-2014 12:54 AM

Poor kids :-/

Dirt never hurt anything! It drives me nuts that people don't let their kids play outside anymore :-(

~*~*~*~
Furbabies:
Sofie Rose born 08/2012
Yann von Erzengel born 02/2006

Harry and Lola 02-02-2014 01:19 AM

How sad for both Hoby and Timmy, poor Timmy imagine growing up and not being allowed to play in the mud, gosh when I was a kid in New Zealand we were waist high in mud and swamp, was so much fun (I was a bit of a tomboy, not a girly girl)

If you feel it is good for Hoby, take the high ground and go around and see the parents and Timmy, maybe you could say something like you haven't seen Timmy for a while and was wondering if everything was ok? If dirt and mud are an issue for them, then they should explain this to you so that you can not put Timmy in this position - you are not a mind reader after all.

Otherwise, with Timmy being 12, come 13/14 he will be busy with his friends and girls etc, so it might not be such a bad thing to break off their interaction now.

mcdanfam 02-02-2014 07:42 AM

So sorry to hear this story...:-( So sad! My mother in law....is like this kids dad. She never understood why I allowed my kids to get dirty and never understood why I would take pictures of them filthy and display them. :-/ my girls are now teens and LOVE rolling around with our two GSD puppy's....none of us are clean when we hike, swim with the dogs....my girls love reflecting back on the pics as kids with messy hair, dirty faces and big smiles.....I can't imagine kids not having memories like that. I don't want it in my car or house....but that is why I carry blankets and extra clothes in the floor compartment of the honda pilot so we are always prepared and they can change if they get to wet or muddy. :-)

Maybe the parents will wake up and see the damage they are doing by keeping the kid away from your dog! Dogs are better therapy for kids and adults a like! Hopefully your pup is not to sad....:-(
People need to learn to enjoy the all things in life! They are not kids forever.....:-/

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

carmspack 02-02-2014 08:09 AM

you may want to reconsider this altogether.

You could be setting yourself up for grief and suffer losses.
I don\'t think it is a good idea to have a 12 year old and a dog , that is not his, engage in rambunctious play because the dog can go over the top .
All it takes is one accidental knockdown, one accidental scratch, grabbing of clothing , a grip on the hand, a nip -- and there you go , trouble for you and your dog.

The father now has it in his mind that your dog needs training.
The experience is no longer the same.

A boy in a pen with an adult dog playing roughly , without someone to in control of the dog is just a recipe for disaster.

Even just having the young child "alone" at the house , is giving potential for allegations. Every teacher knows they have to be careful .

Berkshires , UK? You know you have some severe legislation on "aggressive" breeds.

Your neighbour is of the impression that the dog needs training -- hope this doesn\'t ferment into some bad neighbour relation.

doggiedad 02-02-2014 08:13 AM

i don\'t think it\'s a good idea to let a child play with your
dog in it\'s kennel unsupervised. the father probably thinks
your dog needs training because it jumped on his son and his
son got muddy. if your friends with the father go and have a
talk with him.

i\'m not sure what good you see in loss of friendship with the father
and the between the boy and your dog playing together or was
that a defensive statement on your behave?

[QUOTE=HOBY;4945490]This was recently said to me about my boy pup Hoby by a person that has never owned a dog. I found myself a little offended by it as I have owned, trained, help people train many dogs. I am sure this type of thing has happened to most of us at least once. Allow me to explain.

I have a 20\'W x 40\'L X 6\'H pen with various agility equipment. A great place for a pup to train and play. There is a young boy, 12 years of age that comes over to play with Hoby quite often. The two are all over each other playing hard, both making happy play time noise. It is nice to watch them in the kennel as my kids are grown and away from home. The boys father who has watched me work with Hoby was all in favor of the set up. In the early visits the father would go in and watch and even participate in the action, although he didn\'t know what he was doing. This had been going on for months. Hoby was nutz to see the young man. The boy enjoys Hoby so much he has asked if Hoby and I could come over for dinner. "I gotta ask my Mom first." Cute I thought.

Hoby has gotten bigger, stronger with a good off button and has been doing fine in advanced obedience and novice rally. A while back we had a January thaw. The ground was muddy every where. Timmy showed up at my door and asked if he could play with Hoby. I told Timmy the way you two play you will be full of mud in no time. Timmy didn\'t care. I would always go out and ask Timmy if he had enough, he always wanted to stay. They played for over an hour and yes they were both covered in mud. Holy mud bath I thought. In the mean time the father came over to get Timmy. The father who looked stunned at the sight of Timmy would not go in the pen.

He was obviously perturbed so I had Hoby WAIT as I opened the gate and let Timmy out. As Dad grabbed his son he said to me "YOU NEED TO TRAIN YOUR DOG!!!". Totally surprised by this comment my reply, "your son and my dog have a connection you don\'t get". As they walked away Timmy turned to say "Bye Hoby". As they made distance from me I heard the father say " you are not getting in my car like that, did you step in dog poop", bla bla bla bla bla [my pen is clean as a whistle]. I have not seen them since. They are good neighbors and a fine family. I am sure the parents let Timmy come over not realizing the ground conditions.

>>>>> I feel Hoby loses as the relationship with Timmy was good for the both of them.<<<<< [/QUOTE]

Sp00ks 02-02-2014 08:16 AM

I\'d be willing to bet the mother was the issue. They probably both got in trouble for the boy coming home all muddy. Why else would the father come up with this statement out of the blue? I would imagine the boy is just as upset.

I\'d also be willing to bet they don\'t have a dog for this reason.

Harry and Lola are probably correct in saying that he will likely get caught up in friends and girls in the coming years and not be around as much if at all.

The way the parents acted, I\'m not sure they should be around each other anymore. What would happen if the boy got a scratch or cut. If they over reacted to mud..... However, I would consider going to check on the boy, but thats just me.

carmspack 02-02-2014 08:22 AM

would you let your kid go over to a neighbours\' by themselves with no other children accompanying your child , and no children at the house to visit. distance requiring a car ride . Just this .

then to add to it , to be "locked" into a pen with a wild play session with an adult dog , that is not responsive to controls by the child .

a bit Christians to the Lions .