German Shepherds Forum banner

Oh my lord...

2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  CelticGlory 
#1 ·
I just took Yogi to the pet store with my kids and in walks this sad GSD female. Her owner comments on him skinny Yogi is (he actually looks fine!). She proudly says her 8 month old just came back from the vet after getting spayed and she had to pick up a cone and she weighed in at 109lbs. This is a dog that should probably be around 65-70 at the most. She only stood maybe three inches taller than my boy who is probably around 45 lbs now. Morbidly obese dog. She waddled! Poor thing. Sorry. Just had to share. :eek:

*-*Summer*-*

#3 ·
I guess it just goes to show 90 percent of us think we have the best looking animals..I know I do..lol

but seriously, when ever someone comments on how skinny Dexter is I tell them I used to think the same way (even though I didnt, I just dont like them feeling as Im putting them down ), but since coming to this site I have found out differently and how much healthier it is to be leaner. Its only happened a few times but each time it has happened weve had really good conversations and they noted they would like their dog to be leaner and how they will check out the site, so who knows maybe they will.

#8 ·
I can never understand why people let their dogs get fat. You shorten their life span and cause major heath issues. Well he/she looks at you with those eyes! DON'T LOOK AT THEM. Stop feeding them junk. My dad did that with his English bulldogs. Overfed them. And they are a breed you have to be extra careful with. The over weightness of one literaly broke his back. Then he did it again with the next one./sigh

#9 ·
Before I'd learned more about dogs, I thought they needed to be a bit heavier then they should be as well, though not obese. Now that I know better, I keep all my dogs at a nice lean weight (cats too) and any other pets I get, I research to see what they should be like in ideal condition. I'm much pickier about what shape my animals are in than I am about me.

#10 ·
Thinking

This is a good thread as it caused me to start thinking about my Zeus' weight. He's 102 now at 16 months.

His father tipped the scales at 135 and his mother at 108 when he was conceived.

Now, these are not your average U.S. GSD working line dogs. They're bred specifically for impressive size. And, they are enormously physically strong animals.

But I can see how they could get overweight quickly. So, no more treats but during training.

LF

#12 ·
I have family who are proud to "fatten up" all of their pets because it "makes them happy".
But at the same time comment on how they're having a hard time breathing/health issues and say it must just be old age.

Seriously can't stand the attitude that it's good to feed them whatever they want just because it makes them happy in that moment (or multiple moments I guess when you feed them junk non stop)

#13 ·
It's tough to change people's minds on this topic. I still try. In a roundabout (and probably manipulative) way. When people comment that my dogs are skinny, I flash a Huge Grin, and say "Thank you!! I like to keep them Fit!" and add that's cause I love them so much and want them to live as Long as Possible!!! They are certainly not underfed, lol. But it would break my heart to own an obese dog :( I want every year I can get with mine. It really hurts when they pass too soon :(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#15 ·
While I have learned to be careful about rendering opinions on this forum, I have to say one thing. It has been my experience that dogs do not necessarily get fat from eating too much. They get fat from eating the wrong things. Too much cheap food laden with carbs that turn into sugar will make your dogs fat. Next time you see an obese dog, ask the owner what they feed. See if I am right. I feed my 3 over 50 lbs of raw meat/bone/organ per week and they are as lean as greyhounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.