German Shepherds Forum banner

Do not get a german shepherd!

15K views 115 replies 56 participants last post by  Freestep 
#1 ·
:mad: This is a rant: It is not directed to you, this is what I am screaming in my head as I try and steer the folks at work and other acquaintances that know me as “The German Shepherd Guy” away from my beloved breed. They are thinking about a dog for the family, a companion, a protector for the family etc etc. They don’t have dogs or if they do they are an afterthought beyond their puppyhood.
DO NOT GET A GERMAN SHEPHERD!!!!!!!
You will not train it! You will not exercise it! You will not care for it! You will come to me with stories of how at three months old, it is the smartest, most best behaved dog you have ever known. Then six months later when I ask you how it’s going I find out you had to “give it to your uncle in the country” or you “gave it away” because it went crazy at seven months old and you couldn’t control it.
I have had this happen several times through the years and I will do everything I can to keep it from happening again. Every time I see that noble animal in a back yard next to its overturned food bowl staring out beyond the fence, its fur matted with dirt I cringe.
Yeah, you wanted a German Shepherd.
Sorry, but I feel better now.

Let me say I am not a breeder, competitor or veterinarian. I am simply an owner of German Shepherds and have been around the breed all my life. I dearly love dogs and German Shepherds especially. I have often lamented pet overpopulation and mistreatment, and have taken steps to assist with the problem. I use my ability to donate to shelters as a primary activity.
As for casual acquaintances and co-workers I am known as the German Shepherd guy. I have a German Shepherd wall calendar and pictures on my computer desk top. Several times a year, I am approached by one of these folks as they express their desire to have a German Shepherd and their intention to obtain one. They inevitably ask for breeder recommendations. I always try and dissuade them from getting a German Shepherd. I do not trash the breed, but simply point out the time and effort required and encourage them to get something else.

See less See more
#2 ·
They are a HUGE responsibility. People tend to look at getting a dog like they look at buying a new pair of shoes. They expect them to look perfect, and then when they get tired of them.... Just to be able to lock them away in a closet and get them out when it pleases THEM. People don't realize the years of training, and the hours of work it has taken to make a dog be like the ones they see on tv. They're a part of the family, not a robot with no needs or emotions.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#3 ·
:mad: They don’t have dogs or if they do they are an afterthought beyond their puppyhood.
You will not train it! You will not exercise it! You will not care for it!
I hear you. Perhaps tell your friend/coworker to substitute "child" for "GSD" in their conversation? No one would casually say "so I've been wanting a child to keep me company when the spouse is working late..." Or at least they shouldn't :rolleyes: I love my fur children and my human kids - but they're BOTH a lot of work!

Feel better and rant as needed!

#7 ·
I hear you. Perhaps tell your friend/coworker to substitute "child" for "GSD" in their conversation? No one would casually say "so I've been wanting a child to keep me company when the spouse is working late..." Or at least they shouldn't :rolleyes: I love my fur children and my human kids - but they're BOTH a lot of work!

Feel better and rant as needed!
Sadly I have seen similar as justification for having an actual child. Having had other dogs I would say a GSD is one of the most time/energy intensive pets I have ever owned.

#4 ·
Working with a rescue i am always wary of people wanting puppies or older dogs (i am a little jaded). I have to remind myself alot that great people exist everywere, people that will not give up and discard their once beloved pets. Its a pretty sad scene. If you can make someone go "no thats not the dog for me" simply by telling them what they truly require then you are doing a service to the breed.

#5 ·
I am a breeder and I do the same thing! Quite a few people have called/written me in the last month wanting puppies. I have two litters coming. At least 4 of these, I spent 30 to 45 minutes with exploring their experience, lifestyle etc....one young man was recommended to rescue a greyhound...the others I have tried to steer to an older settled rescue dog or a showline or no pup at all....

This is NOT a breed for everyone. It is way too popular. It is way too easily purchased. Even Amish puppy mill litters are extolled via cute websites giving each pup a name and a photo set up like a little yearbook sucking people in - someone is making a mint with setting these up for them I am sure! I cringe and my heart breaks for those poor pups who are bred for nothing but commercial gain and know many people are taken in by the cute photos.

I cringe every time I hear "I just want a pet". I try to educate. I try to explain the quality of a well bred dog, the pitfalls of a BYB, the financial commitment a good breeder has in their dogs (for example $8,000 invested and lost in a breeding female, only to have her retired due to a litter on the third attempt of only 4 - 2 of whom were dwarfs, 1 born dead, lost stud fees when breedings did not 'take' both in Germany and here) that the price of pups in this one litter does not mean greed or 95% profit! Doing this right is expensive. If their biggest concern about a puppy is the price or open papers & breeding rights - right off the bat, they are not good candidates for a puppy.

Lee

#8 ·
@Wolfstraum

How do you go about picking people that want to purchase then?
Just curious, my next GSD will come from a reputable breeder, i did luck out with Tyson and Shiloh though they are wonderful dogs. What qualifies a person? I always have a little bit of anxiety about that sort of stuff. I have 3 happy healthy dogs and i would not even consider adding to my collection, but in 12 or 15 years i will be.

#9 ·
What do I recomend?

Of course not all folks are in the bad owner catagory. I have assisted those that I know already have dogs and have discussed proper care and training. Most folks I don't recomend any dog. I don't want to be responsible for another neglected animal. I may be protecting my self, but I am very carefull. As to how? The same as anybody else. You ask questions and get a sense of them the best you can.

#10 ·
Every time I see that noble animal in a back yard next to its overturned food bowl staring out beyond the fence, its fur matted with dirt I cringe.
People who keep dogs relegated to a solitary life in the back yard shouldn't have dogs of any breed or age. All dogs need companionship, mental stimulation, physical activity, training, grooming, affection & commitment. There are people who have the wrong breed & can be directed to a more suitable breed. Too often I see people who should not have a dog at all. Some of em would do all right with cats. All too many are barely suited to pet rocks. Way, way, waaay too many are serial owner/dumpers who acquire a dog, blame the poor beast for being too big, furry, untrained, active etc, dump it & get a 'better' dog, which almost invariably suffers the same fate.

#11 ·
As my pup has settled a bit in public (faking it for the fans ;) ), people often gush over him, his beauty, calm (ha!), good temperament, expressing their own love/want for GSDs. What they don't get is how HARD it is to raise a puppy, particularly this one. I work full time and constantly have guilt over the time my pup has to be crated, my first and last thought of the day are about him and I fret over him while I'm at work. I spend an inordinate amount of time with him in mind. I'm exhausted! :)

#13 ·
IT'S TRUE!! I work full time also and no matter how tired I am the FIRST thing I do when I get home is grab Anna's leash- her ball- a training lead hahah a treat pouch (I look like Rambo) and head out! Rain, or shine, 3 degrees outside?? We're still going. I owe it to her.

I've been around dogs all my life I've been training for a while (with my other dog Sam) and I think it all the time how easy it would be to mess Anna up. She is a bit Barky right now when approaching other dogs outside- I'm convinced she will out grow it and I will never let her be in a bad situation where harm could come to her and scar her. I know how easy it would be for a "less educated" person to react poorly to this behavior and make it worse or turn it in to aggression. I say to myself every time we begin to train and I can see her intensity how "this breed is NOT for most people"

I would discourage almost everyone I know from getting one. Unless you are extremely dedicated and active it's NOT a good choice at all.

#12 ·
I hate when co-workes ask me how 'protective' is my GSD? I normally reply saying, "Well, this morning I was about to stuff a donut into my mouth and he snatched it away and ate it. He knows I'm dieting."

#15 ·
I don't know, I really like talking about GSDs and most people are just un-informed and don't know any better. A friend I re-connected with after years of losing touch, contacted me because of pics of my pups and IPO work on FB. She asked me about a few breeders she was looking at (all "over-sized, old fashion" breeders). I just told her about working vs showlines, the different traits, why I chose what I did for our second. Explained what I believed a "reputable" breeder is, traits she needs to look for if she wants a sport/IPO dog, etc. It was fun chatting with her, I gave her some places to read and things to check out. She's now waiting until she's better prepared, looking at some strong breeders, and taking her time/waiting until she's ready for the right pup for her.

Shepherds are supposed to be the utility family dog that everyone can handle, are they not? Sure they require obedience and exercise, I'm of the opinion most dogs need that anyway. We've just bred to so many extremes that it's hard to find that, but I believe it's still out there. I just try and educate on how to get that and who I think they should talk to. If someone wants to chain a dog up outside, isolate it, or any other extreme, I wouldn't recommend any dog.....maybe a rabbit in a rabbit cage and a good alarm system. I'm not talking about extremes or bad people wanting GSDs, I'm talking about the average joe with wife and kiddos that wants a GSD, but is clueless beyond cute ears and big dog.

I know a lot of people don't want to take the time, or don't have the time to "educate," I enjoy it, and find that usually when you tell someone not to do something, they'll give you an "uh, huh...sure thing." Then they go do what they want anyway(most of the time more determined than ever), only they still don't know how to do it or what to look for. There is a reason 90% of the people on here, myself included, had a poorly bred, byb first GSD, and learned a lot of hard lessons. We just didn't know any better. I (hopefully) saved my friend from that by having a fun conversation and pointing her to good resources and people.

How many here, when they first started looking at GSDs, probably could have been told (because they had no idea what they were getting into) not to get a GSD and move on to another breed. I bet a lot, but it would have made most of them try all the harder to get one. I know I would lol.

Side note, I'm still in the beginning years of "save the breed and inform/educate everyone" I know a lot burn out from that. I haven't yet, but I understand it.

#17 ·
I got my first GSD as a pet for my son. Had no idea what I was doing or what I was getting.

25 years later I still have them and compete with them. I am a great owner and not really bragging, just have learned through trial and error and education.

25 years a go you might have told me a GSD was not for me. Who are you to decide?

I see the point you are making and I agree we need to educate and help people understand dogs take care, training, exercise and a big commitment of time and resources. Some will hear, some will not. I don't think it matters whether the dog in question is a poodle or a GSD. If they can't or won't take the time to care for and socialize and train it, they don't need a dog at all.

I could start on my neighbors with the border collie tossed in the yard going crazy...... they surely do not need that dog so I really see what you are saying.

#24 ·
I got my first GSD as a pet for my son. Had no idea what I was doing or what I was getting.

25 years later I still have them and compete with them. I am a great owner and not really bragging, just have learned through trial and error and education.

25 years a go you might have told me a GSD was not for me. Who are you to decide?

I see the point you are making and I agree we need to educate and help people understand dogs take care, training, exercise and a big commitment of time and resources. Some will hear, some will not. I don't think it matters whether the dog in question is a poodle or a GSD. If they can't or won't take the time to care for and socialize and train it, they don't need a dog at all.

I could start on my neighbors with the border collie tossed in the yard going crazy...... they surely do not need that dog so I really see what you are saying.
:thumbup::thumbup:

#19 ·
Thanks DWP for the thread, I never really thought about that before. I am new to the breed but it seems that everywhere I go with my GSD everyone comments on her, asks where I got her, has questions,and wants one. I now refer them to this forum since I am nowhere close to a spokesperson for the breed.

All I know is that I have had lots of dogs throughout my life, really good dogs of various breeds. MY GSD has been the most "high maintenance" dog I have ever had. There were many times, especially 3-7 months where I wondered if I could make it with her. Is that bad to say? Finally I realized I needed more training than my dog before I could even begin to teach her anything. Luckily, I have lots of time and she is with me almost constantly and we have finally gotten into a "groove". I cannot imagine someone owning a dog like mine and having her chained in the backyard or kept in a dog yard all the time. It would destroy her.

#20 ·
Good post DaniFani.

I do think it's important to educate people on the need to work and train their GSD, but I disagree with the thinking that a GSD isn't a good choice for someone wanting a companion.

That's why I got mine. I'm single and live in the country, so I wanted a dog who was going to be vigilant about alerting to strangers approaching the house and as it turns out, I've ended up really enjoying working my dog, more than I ever thought I would. I wanted the companionship.

They are supposed to be a good family dog, albeit an active one. Prospective owners should be prepared to invest time and training into a GSD, and they should be prepared to research breeders and what bloodlines they want. At the end of the day, you can read about GSD's all you want, but you will never know what it is to have one and work with one unless you take the plunge. Everyone has had their first GSD, and I'm sure everyone has learned a lot with each dog.

I'm a novice handler and have a lot to learn, my dog has a low threshold and gets overstimulated pretty easily. But I think we are both happy to be in one anothers lives. I adore my dog, and I know she adores me too. I can't wait to get home from work to see her, she's one of the best things I have in my life. There are things I've learned with her that I hope will make my next GSD a bit easier, but I don't regret the decision to take her home for a minute, and I'm glad her breeder didn't refuse to sell to a pet home.

#25 ·
I'm guess you mean not a fan. Darn phones lol. I didn't say I put them in the yard... I said I went outside with them and threw kongs, and kicked basketballs. Watched while they played with each other and me. They have access to their pen but they are never allowed out in the full yard without one of us.

#27 ·
Also, if I remember correctly, shepherdmom, your dogs were adult rescues?

Big difference in getting an older dog whose temperament and energy level is already known, to a clueless person wanting a GSD puppy and not being aware of its needs or be willing to meet them as the pup matures.

#33 ·
Oh I've got a mixture. :laugh: Buddy is from a breeder and was raised from a pup. 2 were older pups from shelters (non GSD). Tasha is 7 and was from a rescue and we are getting a rescue puppy when he turns 12 weeks.

But I've also had many dogs for many year. I wouldn't recommend a German Shepherd puppy for first time dog owners who are my age. But what I'm saying is rather than discourage people how about suggesting an old rescue or a show line rather than a working line. I wish someone had pointed me at the show lines sooner. :)

#31 ·
:mad: As for casual acquaintances and co-workers I am known as the German Shepherd guy. I have a German Shepherd wall calendar and pictures on my computer desk top. Several times a year, I am approached by one of these folks as they express their desire to have a German Shepherd and their intention to obtain one. They inevitably ask for breeder recommendations. I always try and dissuade them from getting a German Shepherd. I do not trash the breed, but simply point out the time and effort required and encourage them to get something else.
AMEN!!

Been there, done that, over and over again! I am retired, and someone I used to work with just contacted me, wanting me to give her some of my GSD contacts. NEVER! I like this woman, had worked with her for years, and I am NOT going to do it! I always go into the shedding, the chewing, the energy, all the work involved--are they ready for another child in the house? Well a GSD puppy is going to be the same amount of work, if not more, than a child! And she doesn't have a fence, doesn't have anywhere for the dog to be while she's at work, etc., etc.

#32 ·
I am utterly heartbroken when I see pups that are ignored or just gotten because their child wants a dog. Before getting my dog I took several things into consideration. I wanted a high energy dog to take with me on walks and hikes. I have the time and energy to devote to raising him just as I would a child and realize he is a life long commitment. Regardless even small dogs should not be thrown outside for long periods of time... That is not exercise. All dogs should get intellectual stimulation and be trained well regardless of how large or small they are. Some people just don't deserve pets

#35 ·
I encourage people to get the breed. I think they are a pretty easy breed if you know about dogs.

#38 ·
I do as well but.........I certainly say the same .."if you know about dogs".

Sometimes, by just knowing the person and their habits and past performance I might suggest otherwise. I'll always remember this person's comments regarding a dog they had briefly..." got rid of it because it wasn't house trained in 3 weeks...."

No doubt a GSD is a project and the breed does not do so well left to their own devices but I truly believe the effort, dedication and other responsibilities involved with a GSD pup is more than worth the effort. You get "paid" back incredibly well.

Definitely not a dog for many and unfortunately all too many have GSDs.

Best breed for me however,

SuperG

#36 ·
my other 'favorite' reason for getting a pup (read not!)is when people say they are getting a pup for their existing dog?? I mean, really? Usually that means, maybe the pup will entertain the existing dog. Or at least I read it that way.

Two dogs are three times the work, IMHO.

And each deserves a huge slice of owners attention and care.

The other thing that makes me want to say, 'just don't' is the would be owner who thinks saving the $$ for the purchase price is the biggest financial hurdle.

These dogs can be over the top expensive if they have 'issues,' and just good basic care is not cheap.

Whew... now I feel better:laugh:

#39 ·
After having a jack Russell for almost 14 years...I was worried about getting GSD's....the jack Russell could not go with us to a lot of places....he was very unpredictable...he also did not care for going or doing...he seemed to relish the house to himself. The biggest adjustment we have made...is having dogs go everywhere we go. They think they have to tag along everywhere...even if is is to the grocery store.

When people ask us for info....the first thing I say....be ready to have a toddler! If you can't have a dog with you all day, almost everywhere you go, don't get a GSD....it seems the most important thing for the GSD is being a huge part of the family....if you cant dedicate a ton of quality time...get a breed that prefers some alone time. I am still shocked how much time they want to spend with us.

#41 ·
Ok, Jack Russell is a whole 'nut her thing!!

Hats off to you for having the energy:wild:

#40 ·
:mad: This is a rant: It is not directed to you, this is what I am screaming in my head as I try and steer the folks at work and other acquaintances that know me as “The German Shepherd Guy” away from my beloved breed. They are thinking about a dog for the family, a companion, a protector for the family etc etc. They don’t have dogs or if they do they are an afterthought beyond their puppyhood.
You will not train it! You will not exercise it! You will not care for it! You will come to me with stories of how at three months old, it is the smartest, most best behaved dog you have ever known. Then six months later when I ask you how it’s going I find out you had to “give it to your uncle in the country” or you “gave it away” because it went crazy at seven months old and you couldn’t control it.
I have had this happen several times through the years and I will do everything I can to keep it from happening again. Every time I see that noble animal in a back yard next to its overturned food bowl staring out beyond the fence, its fur matted with dirt I cringe.
Yeah, you wanted a German Shepherd.
Sorry, but I feel better now.

Let me say I am not a breeder, competitor or veterinarian. I am simply an owner of German Shepherds and have been around the breed all my life. I dearly love dogs and German Shepherds especially. I have often lamented pet overpopulation and mistreatment, and have taken steps to assist with the problem. I use my ability to donate to shelters as a primary activity.
As for casual acquaintances and co-workers I am known as the German Shepherd guy. I have a German Shepherd wall calendar and pictures on my computer desk top. Several times a year, I am approached by one of these folks as they express their desire to have a German Shepherd and their intention to obtain one. They inevitably ask for breeder recommendations. I always try and dissuade them from getting a German Shepherd. I do not trash the breed, but simply point out the time and effort required and encourage them to get something else.
I'm actually getting one as a puppy VERY soon and I'm SUPER excited!! If no one was willing to take the time and effort in taking care of German Shepherds and training them and such then no one would have one and there would be shelters and rescues filled with them just like they already are with other breeds. I'm not saying that you're trashing the breed but it does sound like it.

#43 · (Edited)
If no one was willing to take the time and effort in taking care of German Shepherds and training them and such then no one would have one and there would be shelters and rescues filled with them just like they already are with other breeds.
Actually, shelters and rescues are filled with them. There are more GSDs dying in shelters than can be rescued. The most common age I see is adolescence--right about the time that cute, fluffy puppy stops being cute and starts needing leadership. Rottweilers and GSDs are among the most common breeds seen in my public shelter, after bully breeds--we had 8 GSDs come into the public shelter in one week this month, and we are a small city!

Since pictures talk louder than words, the dogs in these pictures were euthanized in a public shelter this week. The little one was no more than a year old. The older one was surrendered because she was dog reactive in heat...and destroyed, while in heat because she was dog reactive...instead of just spaying her. Both were in this shelter barely a week before being euthanized--and neither was human aggressive or a biter. Don't think for a second that GSDs don't die in shelters -- they do!

RIP:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.