Do not get a german shepherd! - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

As my pup has settled a bit in public (faking it for the fans ), people often gush over him, his beauty, calm (ha!), good temperament, expressing their own love/want for GSDs. What they don't get is how HARD it is to raise a puppy, particularly this one. I work full time and constantly have guilt over the time my pup has to be crated, my first and last thought of the day are about him and I fret over him while I'm at work. I spend an inordinate amount of time with him in mind. I'm exhausted!
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hate when co-workes ask me how 'protective' is my GSD? I normally reply saying, "Well, this morning I was about to stuff a donut into my mouth and he snatched it away and ate it. He knows I'm dieting."
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
As my pup has settled a bit in public (faking it for the fans ), people often gush over him, his beauty, calm (ha!), good temperament, expressing their own love/want for GSDs. What they don't get is how HARD it is to raise a puppy, particularly this one. I work full time and constantly have guilt over the time my pup has to be crated, my first and last thought of the day are about him and I fret over him while I'm at work. I spend an inordinate amount of time with him in mind. I'm exhausted!
IT'S TRUE!! I work full time also and no matter how tired I am the FIRST thing I do when I get home is grab Anna's leash- her ball- a training lead hahah a treat pouch (I look like Rambo) and head out! Rain, or shine, 3 degrees outside?? We're still going. I owe it to her.

I've been around dogs all my life I've been training for a while (with my other dog Sam) and I think it all the time how easy it would be to mess Anna up. She is a bit Barky right now when approaching other dogs outside- I'm convinced she will out grow it and I will never let her be in a bad situation where harm could come to her and scar her. I know how easy it would be for a "less educated" person to react poorly to this behavior and make it worse or turn it in to aggression. I say to myself every time we begin to train and I can see her intensity how "this breed is NOT for most people"

I would discourage almost everyone I know from getting one. Unless you are extremely dedicated and active it's NOT a good choice at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Liz&Anna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I hate when co-workes ask me how 'protective' is my GSD? I normally reply saying, "Well, this morning I was about to stuff a donut into my mouth and he snatched it away and ate it. He knows I'm dieting."

Well trained pup you've got there. lol
Kahrg4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't know, I really like talking about GSDs and most people are just un-informed and don't know any better. A friend I re-connected with after years of losing touch, contacted me because of pics of my pups and IPO work on FB. She asked me about a few breeders she was looking at (all "over-sized, old fashion" breeders). I just told her about working vs showlines, the different traits, why I chose what I did for our second. Explained what I believed a "reputable" breeder is, traits she needs to look for if she wants a sport/IPO dog, etc. It was fun chatting with her, I gave her some places to read and things to check out. She's now waiting until she's better prepared, looking at some strong breeders, and taking her time/waiting until she's ready for the right pup for her.

Shepherds are supposed to be the utility family dog that everyone can handle, are they not? Sure they require obedience and exercise, I'm of the opinion most dogs need that anyway. We've just bred to so many extremes that it's hard to find that, but I believe it's still out there. I just try and educate on how to get that and who I think they should talk to. If someone wants to chain a dog up outside, isolate it, or any other extreme, I wouldn't recommend any dog.....maybe a rabbit in a rabbit cage and a good alarm system. I'm not talking about extremes or bad people wanting GSDs, I'm talking about the average joe with wife and kiddos that wants a GSD, but is clueless beyond cute ears and big dog.

I know a lot of people don't want to take the time, or don't have the time to "educate," I enjoy it, and find that usually when you tell someone not to do something, they'll give you an "uh, huh...sure thing." Then they go do what they want anyway(most of the time more determined than ever), only they still don't know how to do it or what to look for. There is a reason 90% of the people on here, myself included, had a poorly bred, byb first GSD, and learned a lot of hard lessons. We just didn't know any better. I (hopefully) saved my friend from that by having a fun conversation and pointing her to good resources and people.

How many here, when they first started looking at GSDs, probably could have been told (because they had no idea what they were getting into) not to get a GSD and move on to another breed. I bet a lot, but it would have made most of them try all the harder to get one. I know I would lol.

Side note, I'm still in the beginning years of "save the breed and inform/educate everyone" I know a lot burn out from that. I haven't yet, but I understand it.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #16 (permalink)
DWP

Default Good Point

DaniFani, you made a good thoughtfull contribution. Thank you.

Philip Perkins
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got my first GSD as a pet for my son. Had no idea what I was doing or what I was getting.

25 years later I still have them and compete with them. I am a great owner and not really bragging, just have learned through trial and error and education.

25 years a go you might have told me a GSD was not for me. Who are you to decide?

I see the point you are making and I agree we need to educate and help people understand dogs take care, training, exercise and a big commitment of time and resources. Some will hear, some will not. I don't think it matters whether the dog in question is a poodle or a GSD. If they can't or won't take the time to care for and socialize and train it, they don't need a dog at all.

I could start on my neighbors with the border collie tossed in the yard going crazy...... they surely do not need that dog so I really see what you are saying.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 11:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz&Anna View Post
I say to myself every time we begin to train and I can see her intensity how "this breed is NOT for most people"

I would discourage almost everyone I know from getting one. Unless you are extremely dedicated and active it's NOT a good choice at all.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I disagree. First you are looking at a working dog. Not all people have working German Shepherds.

Second my husband and I aren't extremely active any more, but that doesn't keep us from shepherds. We have 5 acres.. & 4 soon to be 5 dogs. Just letting them play on our land. Chasing rabbits and squirrels and throwing a kong and kicking a basket ball several times a day wears out the energy and they are content to be inside with us. They have a dog door to an outside pen and often times will go lay in the sun or just chase each other around.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks DWP for the thread, I never really thought about that before. I am new to the breed but it seems that everywhere I go with my GSD everyone comments on her, asks where I got her, has questions,and wants one. I now refer them to this forum since I am nowhere close to a spokesperson for the breed.

All I know is that I have had lots of dogs throughout my life, really good dogs of various breeds. MY GSD has been the most "high maintenance" dog I have ever had. There were many times, especially 3-7 months where I wondered if I could make it with her. Is that bad to say? Finally I realized I needed more training than my dog before I could even begin to teach her anything. Luckily, I have lots of time and she is with me almost constantly and we have finally gotten into a "groove". I cannot imagine someone owning a dog like mine and having her chained in the backyard or kept in a dog yard all the time. It would destroy her.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Good post DaniFani.

I do think it's important to educate people on the need to work and train their GSD, but I disagree with the thinking that a GSD isn't a good choice for someone wanting a companion.

That's why I got mine. I'm single and live in the country, so I wanted a dog who was going to be vigilant about alerting to strangers approaching the house and as it turns out, I've ended up really enjoying working my dog, more than I ever thought I would. I wanted the companionship.

They are supposed to be a good family dog, albeit an active one. Prospective owners should be prepared to invest time and training into a GSD, and they should be prepared to research breeders and what bloodlines they want. At the end of the day, you can read about GSD's all you want, but you will never know what it is to have one and work with one unless you take the plunge. Everyone has had their first GSD, and I'm sure everyone has learned a lot with each dog.

I'm a novice handler and have a lot to learn, my dog has a low threshold and gets overstimulated pretty easily. But I think we are both happy to be in one anothers lives. I adore my dog, and I know she adores me too. I can't wait to get home from work to see her, she's one of the best things I have in my life. There are things I've learned with her that I hope will make my next GSD a bit easier, but I don't regret the decision to take her home for a minute, and I'm glad her breeder didn't refuse to sell to a pet home.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.