German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why does everyone hate my dog?

18K views 53 replies 36 participants last post by  Fodder 
#1 ·
This thread is really just me venting....

I'm getting tired of people around me don't like my dog. My friend and her boy friend just got a puppy corgi. I visited them and he said by the way thank you if I didn't see your Lincoln I would probably get a big dog. He kept making comment like oh you can't take him anywhere with you because he's too big for me to travel with. My other friend with two collie mix made comment at puppy party at my house that she never want a German shepherd because gsd are devious. She poor water in Lincoln's bowl for her dog. Lincoln run over to check it out. Then she said Lincoln is food aggressive. She said Lincoln doesn't play nice with other dog but didn't say anything ant her dog constantly showing teeth when Lincoln get close to them.

Lincoln is one year old gsd. He is still hyper and his obedience is not top notch. But he doesn't hurt anybody. He never show teeth to any other dogs or human. He just wants to play. Yeah he's not the cutest dog like collie. He may not be very cuddly. He's heavy big strong dog so he hurts you when he jump on your lap unlike the corgi. But he is a good dog.

It's bad enough never get good reaction from people on the street. Parent pull their kids away when they walk pass us at the park. Vet nurse doesn't go crazy when they see him like they were when he was a puppy. Some Other dogs in class wouldn't pair up with him to do activities. Let me say it again that Lincoln has never hurt any of the people mention above. They are people that only see him at the party or puppy play date so they only see him as a hyper dog with power and teeth.

There is only one friend that I believe she likes Lincoln. Not only acting like they do and behind my back tell ppl my dog is a monster. This friend has a lab. So she understand most of what I'm going through. Except that her dog looks friendly so stranger doesn't run away from him as fast as they would from mine

Again, I'm just venting. I just came back from visiting the puppy corgi and kinda depressed. :(

See less See more
#30 ·
No,no, your not! I lost a life long friend becasue he treated my Boxer with disrespect. She'd sit and wiggle her butt at him (Boxer thing) and he'd constantly ignore her!
Screw him!

In general I have no use for herder dogs myself (present company excluded) :) they tend to be high energy, pushy dogs that "most " people who own them are to lazy to train!

You would be well advised to keep your dog away from your friends dog! He's already showing attitude and there is a very high probability that he will bite your dog!

Then you'll be here starting a "my dog hates little dog thread!' My dogs never had play dates with any of my friends dogs because all of my friends dogs were ill behaved A Holes! Your first job is to protect your dog! You should not be putting him in harms way! :)

For the record... I was able to work for two weeks on training my friends Queensland and Border collie while they were on vacation. Took some work but they were quick learners!

Course as soon as the friends got home..there dogs were back to chasing cars, jumping on cars, chasing wild horses, not coming when called,bolting out the door etc etc. Herders just seem to be a magnet for lazy people these days..go figure.

#52 ·
Though some people may be “jealous,” most people fear this unpredictable breed, and for good reason! They are large, with strong jaw-bite power, and are completely neurotic! I’ve NEVER met a pure breed adult who wasn’t completely on edge, because they are so scared, aggressive, and defensive ALL OF THE TIME. Only mixed GSD’s can sometime be ok, though I would NEVER 100% trust them either.

I work with all breeds of dogs, and GSD’s, then Husky’s, are THE MOST DANGEROUS & UNPREDICTABLE OF ALL BREEDS IMO! NOT FOR PETS - WORKING DOGS - YES!

#4 ·
a gsd can do everything a corgi can but a corgi cant do everything a gsd can. throw a frisbee for your dog to catch mid air and then turn to the corgi and say your turn! then throw a ball in the lake and when your dog brings it back turn and say your turn! now if your gsd cant do basic "big dog" things like that then i guess you'll have to accept all the jabs towards your dog. btw pretty dog!

no matter what kind of dog you have, nothing shuts up people quicker than a well trained dog.

#26 ·
You can train a GSD to a ridiculous level, even on your own. It can impress everyone when they see how much control you have just over commands or hand signals. My entire neighbourhood knows Jake and kids come running out of the house to see him on our walks. They love him to death and know he would protect them. Some people do just not like large dogs, and for a good reason. A GSD can be fatal to smaller breads or even a person. So its really understandable why someone wouldn't like a GSD...

#7 ·
Hey don't bother abt what other say. .I have 8 month old gsd and he has energy level like crazy...jumping, pulling at leash while going out....eagerness to inquire everyone by sniffing...well that's just Germany shepherd. ..u can't help it...people who r afraid of him..well it's their problem...my dog does not go out to bite them..I love him like crazy and he loves me the same...I don't give a **** to what other say...my gsd (storm) loves my 4 month old daughter..so that's it...be happy with ur baby...Over the period of time he would be mature and more obedient Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

My storm pic

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
What jerks! Just don't get involve with those people making your life miserable. It is so easy to be dog sensitive, your not alone with similar situations like that. A family member thinks my dog is aggressive and went to extreme that my Riley would've killed her German shepherd. This was a few years back it is ridiculous even to this day. Dogs need to have fun too they love it. It's sad when people out there don't let their dogs have fun at all. People are silly dogs needs, fun, etc.

#9 · (Edited)
I think all my neighbors thought my GSD was aggressive. I didn't mind mostly, they just didn't know her.
I've also had people say "wow I thought all GSDs were aggressive!" when they met her and she was friendly. The staff at my vet also said they didn't think she was friendly, when I asked them to give her some pets/treats so that she would associate the vet with good things they said they didn't know she was ok with people until I told them she loved getting attention.
My next door neighbor asked what happened after my dog passed away... I told her it was cancer, and she said maybe that made her aggressive. I said no, she was very friendly and loved people. She just did not like when someone came on our property without permission, and I think she thought my neighbor was always trespassing because their walkway is right up next to our house. I did try to introduce them properly, but my neighbor didn't cooperate.

#12 ·
When discussed getting one with some people....they "warned" us with all the horror story's. Our old vet said they were dangerous and would not be safe with al the kids we have in and out of the house. Our recently deceased 13 1/2 year old jack Russell was far more dangerous. He nipped at my niece and our daughter....we had to train him to avoid kids. The last 6 months he was alive he got to bite each one of us in the household. They said he was suffering from doggie dementia...I never trusted him and would supervise our own kids with him.

I don't know why your friend thinks your dog can't travel with you. That is one of the purposes of our dogs. Since we got them a year ago, they have traveled to the keys, Orlando, cocoa beach, Edisto island, Beaufort, savannah, Arkansas, North Carolina, they go to Resturant with outdoor seating, outdoor movies and out door plays....we have never left them behind when they can go with. They travel better than our small dog ever did. Some people are nervous, but the second they see how well behaved they are...they warm up to them. People are more nerved by the idea of them. The same stories people "warned" us about. Example...a huge group of family's were staying down the beach from us in the keys...large number of kids...newborn to 17. The parents warned all the kids to avoid the dogs (6 months old at the time)...they were the same kind if dog as military and police dogs...they are unpredictable, and you can't pet them. We were throwing the ball in the water, they would get them and bring them back...i guess the parents were not paying attention and a few of the younger kids come running our way....the dogs were so happy to see toddlers (they were raised with three toddlers in and out of our house on a daily basis).... They adore that age group and are soooooo patient and gentle....as the kids made their way to the dogs, the parents come running, to prevent the kids from interacting with the dogs. By the time the parents made their way to the dogs... The kids had snatched tennis balls from their mouths, thrown them and researched the balls! The parents we floored the dogs allowed the kids to take them balls from their mouth. They stated talking and watching the kids interact. When the youngest of two came up, miles belly crawled to greet the smaller one. He laid neck deep in water to allow the smallest to pet and love on him. Everyday for the rest of the week, we would get knocks on our apartment door, it was the kids asking if the dogs could come out and play ball and chase!
Once the parents saw hold mannered they were, gentle and relaxed they were around the kids....they had no concern. They were put off by their intimidating looks, dark coloring, the idea people have because of the jobs and past horror story's....:-/ Can't change people's minds or ideas until they see it for themselves. Train your baby like crazy, teach manners and gentleness...some people will still have their opinions, but that is the world and why politicians push breed legislation. They don't blame the "responsible" owners (the people who make certain dogs mean or fighting dogs)...They blame the breeds...I personally think people should have to take a test before owning animals....but we are In a free country and can be thankful for rescue centers.

The first time we went to our new vets office (did not want to take them to a vet that had such biased opinions of GSD)...the nurse told the vet outside of the door, it was a shepherd, there were two inside, to enter cautiously and to avoid sudden jerky movement....I was inside just giggling.....they have no idea the amount if sudden moments, loud bangs and noises we have in our home. Anyway....they came in, I introduced them and ask her if it was okay for them to greet her like they do our close friends. She said yes, they mauled her with kisses and hugs.... The tech got in on the love, both dogs flipped over for belly rubs....when I said all done, they got up, assumed their sitz position and did whatever the vet asked... Stand for exam, scales, never flinched or twitched durning the exam. They were floored. She never stops telling us how well behaved they are, she has asked for our trainers info for her dogs...! Because they know our dogs allow the hugs and kisses.....they lavish the pups with attention...even at a year old....I think your vet and techs will behave differently when they know they can trust your dog accepts them. Our dogs love being the center of attention. They had to love it with so many kids in and out of the house....I think with all of the holding, cuddling and love it has lead our dogs to believe they can be lap dogs. It makes it worse that the kids that come in and hang our allow the dogs to continue being lap dogs.

My suggestion would be train, train, train....teach manners and forget the comments and attitudes of others. When you dog is doing what it should the right people will find you :)

Good luck....sometimes people ignorance can be annoying....but life will be way to long if you allow others opinions to shape your day!

#16 ·
Don't ever let anyone make you feel depressed about your puppy. You have one of the most amazing dogs ever (if not THE most)!! This is the most difficult stage (age) and I know at times it is overwhelming, even seemingly hopeless. But it is not. Just stay focused on training and loving your GSD. As he matures and you see the fruits of your labor with him, not only will everyone then be jealous of your GSD, but you will enter the point of no return in GSD addiction (like the rest of us), as you experience the love, loyalty, intelligence, obedience and complete wonderfulness that they are. Stay positive and show him off.

#20 · (Edited)
Don't play the victim. If you want your dog to be a great breed ambassador then up the training as others have said and work on what you're complaining about. Take the negative comments and channel them into motivation for you. My male Doberman is a certified therapy dog. He was a calm puppy and has never once mouthed me or been unruly in public. He is typically the best behaved and most under control dog when I am out at public events with friends and their dogs. So many people compliment on how fantastic he is and so obedient. Looks awesome for his breed and I get people who own other breeds saying they would love a big dog like him. I just traveled to North Carolina with him and he was in the car with 3 other dogs. Not a peep from him. He also rode a horse and was able to be off leash on a mountain and near waterfalls and do what I asked of him. I have also put a hellacious amount of time into socializing and working with him.

#21 ·
People can be strange and many tend to rationalize their choices/purchases/lifestyles etc. at the expense of others. I wouldn't let others opinions and comments get under your skin, just accept much of their critiquing words as their own insecurities. Too many folks this day and age are too caught up in their own preferences and due to this, they can be conceited and blinded by their own prejudices and they are unable to see the joy others derive from their personal choices....unless of course it agrees with their choices.

I am probably just as guilty as the folks I criticize at times. Dog owners ( many of them ) are really stuck on particular breeds and believe the dog which they own is the only dog for everyone. I would not choose to own a smaller dog but every dog I ever come across I have nothing but smiles for and always try and make friends.....all dogs are wonderful is my base mentality and I start with that.

Who has the nicest most expensive car, house, clothing, vacations, etc. seems to have run amok in this country and led all too many folks on a never ending superficial journey to discontentment. I understand many of us want others to "appreciate" our choices but when it comes to dog, nobody should be able to sway your choice....how could it? It is of absolutely no consequence what someone else thinks about your furry companion unless it manifests itself in harm to your dog.

Yeah, parents pulling their kids away from your dog is a bit annoying but try and look at it from their side of the fence. I do not believe their motivation has anything to do with what I previously wrote, it's just their maternal/paternal instincts or insecurities.....either way it is their choice and it's no big deal. I have most always found that many younger kids ( without parents around ) are very receptive to the GSDs I have had and most always ask amusing questions and of course want to pet them.

Anyway, as someone mentioned earlier......we are ambassadors to a certain degree for the creatures we own, so take it seriously and understand there is gains to be had by your dedication and efforts in shaping a well behaved dog......the victory of watching someone who is scared of larger dogs become at ease with your pooch is worth the price of admission.

SuperG

#23 ·
Hey Linck, you think you're frustrated now....just wait until your pup is mature! Ugh, every yahoo and their uncle will be pestering you about: where you got him, if he's fixed and can mate to their female, tell you now they want a GSD 'cause yours is perfect, etc...just wait!

#24 ·
Blanketback IS right!

They (puppies) are crazy energetic, totally full of it, enthused about life. They act out of control for the first year or two.

When I lived in Wyoming, I got Barker the Elder as a pup. She was a wild thing. But by the time she was two my reputation had changed (as my dog matured). My dogs were considered amazing. I remember a woman coming into the vets office with her young GSD who was everywhere. She was clearly concerned about her energetic pup "Why can't you be like those dogs?" she asked her pup. I put mine in a down stay & went over to reassure her -- "Mine were like that as pups. They do outgrow it and become sane dogs!" I like to think that helped.

Bottom line - you really (despite what you may think) want an energetic nutsy pup. I'd guess in a few months you will find ways to channel that drive and the pup will begin to show some faint glimmer of maturity. By the time he's two, the person with the Corgi will be envious and your friends will have forgotten about the PIA period. You may want to write down their statements to be able to hand them back in a couple of years. ;)

#25 ·
When we got Ruger everyone told us horror stories about GSDs. How he will chew on everything, couldn't bring them around kids, etc. We found him at the Humane Society and fell in love! They are extremely intelligent dogs and are loving! Ruger may not be the cuddliest pup but he definitely makes sure we are safe. He's a real 'threat', yea right. More like a big baby!

Attachments

#27 ·
Agree with the training comments....

Funnily enough, one of the WORST dogs at our training club is a corgi... barks and snarls and just super annoying. I like corgis actually, just making the point that breed stereotypes are pointless.

#31 ·
lol you guys have to be extremely sensitive or insecure if you lose friends because they make fun of your dog. my friends make ugly jokes about my dark sable all the time. some of them just flat out say no to play dates because i feed mine raw and it turns them vicious. so? who cares? your dog isnt a human kid. its not going to get its feelings hurt

if you cant train your dog well enough to break the stereotype and shut everybody up then you shouldnt complain

#32 ·
lol you guys have to be extremely sensitive or insecure if you lose friends because they make fun of your dog. my friends make ugly jokes about my dark sable all the time. some of them just flat out say no to play dates because i feed mine raw and it turns them vicious. so? who cares? your dog isnt a human kid. its not going to get its feelings hurt

if you cant train your dog well enough to break the stereotype and shut everybody up then
:D I'll accept! that! Boxer,people are like there dogs..kinda goofy! Struddell loved everyone! And was very well behaved, until folks started giggling and laughing at her and with her! She never understood that not "everyone" has to like her! So yeah, kinda touchy where she was concerned!

Rocky Blk GSD could careless about anyone accept his pack, if someone falls over dead in front of him...just don't fall on me on your way down is his take! I'm good with that ,with him.

First person that ever was allowed to pet him was a GSD guy. He wanted to see him and Roc was Ok with it! I get complements on him on walks, he's well behaved and I step aside to let people by but few people wanted to get close to him. He just makes most folks nervous.

Just different dogs so different attitudes! :p

#33 ·
I take it that no matter what the "friends" say about Lincoln, he pretty much goes his own way and ignores the people doing the talking.

Maybe you should do the same.

I think it would be a good idea for you and Lincoln to work together on the obedience and practice. It will be good for you both. And it is fun. Just be patient and loving and I'm sure Lincoln will keep working with you until you get better at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.