Why does everyone hate my dog?? :( (moved to stories) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

How on earth can someone say german shepherds are devious? I've never heard that one before! Ignore them, and focus on making your dog the best-trained of the bunch
Sookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

When discussed getting one with some people....they "warned" us with all the horror story's. Our old vet said they were dangerous and would not be safe with al the kids we have in and out of the house. Our recently deceased 13 1/2 year old jack Russell was far more dangerous. He nipped at my niece and our daughter....we had to train him to avoid kids. The last 6 months he was alive he got to bite each one of us in the household. They said he was suffering from doggie dementia...I never trusted him and would supervise our own kids with him.

I don't know why your friend thinks your dog can't travel with you. That is one of the purposes of our dogs. Since we got them a year ago, they have traveled to the keys, Orlando, cocoa beach, Edisto island, Beaufort, savannah, Arkansas, North Carolina, they go to Resturant with outdoor seating, outdoor movies and out door plays....we have never left them behind when they can go with. They travel better than our small dog ever did. Some people are nervous, but the second they see how well behaved they are...they warm up to them. People are more nerved by the idea of them. The same stories people "warned" us about. Example...a huge group of family's were staying down the beach from us in the keys...large number of kids...newborn to 17. The parents warned all the kids to avoid the dogs (6 months old at the time)...they were the same kind if dog as military and police dogs...they are unpredictable, and you can't pet them. We were throwing the ball in the water, they would get them and bring them back...i guess the parents were not paying attention and a few of the younger kids come running our way....the dogs were so happy to see toddlers (they were raised with three toddlers in and out of our house on a daily basis).... They adore that age group and are soooooo patient and gentle....as the kids made their way to the dogs, the parents come running, to prevent the kids from interacting with the dogs. By the time the parents made their way to the dogs... The kids had snatched tennis balls from their mouths, thrown them and researched the balls! The parents we floored the dogs allowed the kids to take them balls from their mouth. They stated talking and watching the kids interact. When the youngest of two came up, miles belly crawled to greet the smaller one. He laid neck deep in water to allow the smallest to pet and love on him. Everyday for the rest of the week, we would get knocks on our apartment door, it was the kids asking if the dogs could come out and play ball and chase!
Once the parents saw hold mannered they were, gentle and relaxed they were around the kids....they had no concern. They were put off by their intimidating looks, dark coloring, the idea people have because of the jobs and past horror story's....:-/ Can't change people's minds or ideas until they see it for themselves. Train your baby like crazy, teach manners and gentleness...some people will still have their opinions, but that is the world and why politicians push breed legislation. They don't blame the "responsible" owners (the people who make certain dogs mean or fighting dogs)...They blame the breeds...I personally think people should have to take a test before owning animals....but we are In a free country and can be thankful for rescue centers.

The first time we went to our new vets office (did not want to take them to a vet that had such biased opinions of GSD)...the nurse told the vet outside of the door, it was a shepherd, there were two inside, to enter cautiously and to avoid sudden jerky movement....I was inside just giggling.....they have no idea the amount if sudden moments, loud bangs and noises we have in our home. Anyway....they came in, I introduced them and ask her if it was okay for them to greet her like they do our close friends. She said yes, they mauled her with kisses and hugs.... The tech got in on the love, both dogs flipped over for belly rubs....when I said all done, they got up, assumed their sitz position and did whatever the vet asked... Stand for exam, scales, never flinched or twitched durning the exam. They were floored. She never stops telling us how well behaved they are, she has asked for our trainers info for her dogs...! Because they know our dogs allow the hugs and kisses.....they lavish the pups with attention...even at a year old....I think your vet and techs will behave differently when they know they can trust your dog accepts them. Our dogs love being the center of attention. They had to love it with so many kids in and out of the house....I think with all of the holding, cuddling and love it has lead our dogs to believe they can be lap dogs. It makes it worse that the kids that come in and hang our allow the dogs to continue being lap dogs.

My suggestion would be train, train, train....teach manners and forget the comments and attitudes of others. When you dog is doing what it should the right people will find you :-)

Good luck....sometimes people ignorance can be annoying....but life will be way to long if you allow others opinions to shape your day!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
mcdanfam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanfam View Post
When discussed getting one with some people....they "warned" us with all the horror story's. Our old vet said they were dangerous and would not be safe with al the kids we have in and out of the house. Our recently deceased 13 1/2 year old jack Russell was far more dangerous. He nipped at my niece and our daughter....we had to train him to avoid kids. The last 6 months he was alive he got to bite each one of us in the household. They said he was suffering from doggie dementia...I never trusted him and would supervise our own kids with him.

I don't know why your friend thinks your dog can't travel with you. That is one of the purposes of our dogs. Since we got them a year ago, they have traveled to the keys, Orlando, cocoa beach, Edisto island, Beaufort, savannah, Arkansas, North Carolina, they go to Resturant with outdoor seating, outdoor movies and out door plays....we have never left them behind when they can go with. They travel better than our small dog ever did. Some people are nervous, but the second they see how well behaved they are...they warm up to them. People are more nerved by the idea of them. The same stories people "warned" us about. Example...a huge group of family's were staying down the beach from us in the keys...large number of kids...newborn to 17. The parents warned all the kids to avoid the dogs (6 months old at the time)...they were the same kind if dog as military and police dogs...they are unpredictable, and you can't pet them. We were throwing the ball in the water, they would get them and bring them back...i guess the parents were not paying attention and a few of the younger kids come running our way....the dogs were so happy to see toddlers (they were raised with three toddlers in and out of our house on a daily basis).... They adore that age group and are soooooo patient and gentle....as the kids made their way to the dogs, the parents come running, to prevent the kids from interacting with the dogs. By the time the parents made their way to the dogs... The kids had snatched tennis balls from their mouths, thrown them and researched the balls! The parents we floored the dogs allowed the kids to take them balls from their mouth. They stated talking and watching the kids interact. When the youngest of two came up, miles belly crawled to greet the smaller one. He laid neck deep in water to allow the smallest to pet and love on him. Everyday for the rest of the week, we would get knocks on our apartment door, it was the kids asking if the dogs could come out and play ball and chase!
Once the parents saw hold mannered they were, gentle and relaxed they were around the kids....they had no concern. They were put off by their intimidating looks, dark coloring, the idea people have because of the jobs and past horror story's....:-/ Can't change people's minds or ideas until they see it for themselves. Train your baby like crazy, teach manners and gentleness...some people will still have their opinions, but that is the world and why politicians push breed legislation. They don't blame the "responsible" owners (the people who make certain dogs mean or fighting dogs)...They blame the breeds...I personally think people should have to take a test before owning animals....but we are In a free country and can be thankful for rescue centers.

The first time we went to our new vets office (did not want to take them to a vet that had such biased opinions of GSD)...the nurse told the vet outside of the door, it was a shepherd, there were two inside, to enter cautiously and to avoid sudden jerky movement....I was inside just giggling.....they have no idea the amount if sudden moments, loud bangs and noises we have in our home. Anyway....they came in, I introduced them and ask her if it was okay for them to greet her like they do our close friends. She said yes, they mauled her with kisses and hugs.... The tech got in on the love, both dogs flipped over for belly rubs....when I said all done, they got up, assumed their sitz position and did whatever the vet asked... Stand for exam, scales, never flinched or twitched durning the exam. They were floored. She never stops telling us how well behaved they are, she has asked for our trainers info for her dogs...! Because they know our dogs allow the hugs and kisses.....they lavish the pups with attention...even at a year old....I think your vet and techs will behave differently when they know they can trust your dog accepts them. Our dogs love being the center of attention. They had to love it with so many kids in and out of the house....I think with all of the holding, cuddling and love it has lead our dogs to believe they can be lap dogs. It makes it worse that the kids that come in and hang our allow the dogs to continue being lap dogs.

My suggestion would be train, train, train....teach manners and forget the comments and attitudes of others. When you dog is doing what it should the right people will find you :-)

Good luck....sometimes people ignorance can be annoying....but life will be way to long if you allow others opinions to shape your day!

Sorry.....misspells abundant! I am on my phone..hard to type on it and...I hate auto correct, it thinks it knows what I want to say better than I do!

Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

It's just ignorance. Plain and simple. I get little jabs no and again. But I know how awesome Baron is. So I ignore the unlearned folk.
RiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 07:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverDan View Post
It's just ignorance. Plain and simple. I get little jabs no and again. But I know how awesome Baron is. So I ignore the unlearned folk.
:-))

Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't ever let anyone make you feel depressed about your puppy. You have one of the most amazing dogs ever (if not THE most)!! This is the most difficult stage (age) and I know at times it is overwhelming, even seemingly hopeless. But it is not. Just stay focused on training and loving your GSD. As he matures and you see the fruits of your labor with him, not only will everyone then be jealous of your GSD, but you will enter the point of no return in GSD addiction (like the rest of us), as you experience the love, loyalty, intelligence, obedience and complete wonderfulness that they are. Stay positive and show him off.

Lucky (cat) ~ Beauty (cat) ~ MuMu (cat)
Angelina03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Ignorance of the breed.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Up your obedience...just because it's good for you dog and for you.

Find new friends...just because these people don't sound like very good friends.

And get used to the reactions from strangers. I get it all the time. Whatever...

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wait until that sweet little corgi puppy starts barking and herding 24/7........... Corgi's shed worse than GSD,if that's possible.
Ignore folks like that. Just smile and nod your head and let it go.
wyominggrandma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't play the victim. If you want your dog to be a great breed ambassador then up the training as others have said and work on what you're complaining about. Take the negative comments and channel them into motivation for you. My male Doberman is a certified therapy dog. He was a calm puppy and has never once mouthed me or been unruly in public. He is typically the best behaved and most under control dog when I am out at public events with friends and their dogs. So many people compliment on how fantastic he is and so obedient. Looks awesome for his breed and I get people who own other breeds saying they would love a big dog like him. I just traveled to North Carolina with him and he was in the car with 3 other dogs. Not a peep from him. He also rode a horse and was able to be off leash on a mountain and near waterfalls and do what I asked of him. I have also put a hellacious amount of time into socializing and working with him.

Last edited by MustLoveGSDs; 01-18-2014 at 10:00 AM.
MustLoveGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.