German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   My Dog Park Experience (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/396353-my-dog-park-experience.html)

ZoeandMoe 01-15-2014 09:07 AM

My Dog Park Experience

I have read a lot of stories on this board about people not advising or even going to a dog park for a number of reasons. Just wanted to share my experience yesterday. I took Moe. to a local park with the hopes of introducing him to other dogs/pups. Moe. is 15 months old. When arriving, He was barking playfully at the other dogs but I wanted to take him to the section "under 20lb" dogs because no one was in there. We weren't in there 2 minutes when a woman came over to me and said what a beautiful GSD, can I bring my Shepherd over to that side? Her's was about a month older and running around with the bigger dogs. I said, sure, why not. Moe. and her dog began playing together for a minute, then her's began chasing Moe. Every time she caught him, she would knock him down. Playfully, not aggressively. this went on for about ten minutes until one time her dog knocked Moe. down and they began barking/snarling at each other. I quickly separated Moe. and thought, OK, time to leave. The woman said to me, Oh, it's OK, they will be fine. I let Moe. go after making him calm down and he stayed at my feet until her dog came running and plowing him over again. This time it was a full on puppy fight. I broke it up immediately, put on Moe's. leash and began to leave. She said to me like nothing had happened, "Nice meeting you, see you next time". I thought to myself, No you won't. Maybe I was over reacting but I wanted him to socialize, Not learn how to fight or defend himself.

doggiedad 01-15-2014 09:18 AM

a dog park can be fine. i go to the dog park. there's a section
in the woods near my house where people gather with their dogs.
somtimes there's 25 dogs running around, in out of the creek.
the creek is low in this section of the woods. people riding their horses
cross there. lots of times they stop to watch the dogs play. i used
the dog park as a training aid.

my got in a fight at the dog park. the next time he saw the dog there
they played like nothing ever happened. if you don't feel comfortable
about the other dog leave the park when they show up.

set up some play dates with some dogs that are friendly.

halo2013 01-15-2014 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoeandMoe (Post 4836737)
I have read a lot of stories on this board about people not advising or even going to a dog park for a number of reasons. Just wanted to share my experience yesterday. I took Moe. to a local park with the hopes of introducing him to other dogs/pups. Moe. is 15 months old. When arriving, He was barking playfully at the other dogs but I wanted to take him to the section "under 20lb" dogs because no one was in there. We weren't in there 2 minutes when a woman came over to me and said what a beautiful GSD, can I bring my Shepherd over to that side? Her's was about a month older and running around with the bigger dogs. I said, sure, why not. Moe. and her dog began playing together for a minute, then her's began chasing Moe. Every time she caught him, she would knock him down. Playfully, not aggressively. this went on for about ten minutes until one time her dog knocked Moe. down and they began barking/snarling at each other. I quickly separated Moe. and thought, OK, time to leave. The woman said to me, Oh, it's OK, they will be fine. I let Moe. go after making him calm down and he stayed at my feet until her dog came running and plowing him over again. This time it was a full on puppy fight. I broke it up immediately, put on Moe's. leash and began to leave. She said to me like nothing had happened, "Nice meeting you, see you next time". I thought to myself, No you won't. Maybe I was over reacting but I wanted him to socialize, Not learn how to fight or defend himself.

I don't take my dog to dog parks. Never have. I'm not above at all correcting someone else's dog to defend mine. And if I get "oh they're fine as an answer" I'm usually rude enough to say something. I can't stand people that let their animals be bullies and just brush it off.

When I worked at my old job in Mech. A jack Russell was brought in tore up by a gsd. The jack Russell took off and was found a local and brought in it took that little guy 15 stitches. When the owner got there she said the lady that was responsible for the gsd said the same nothing oh hes just a puppy hes just playing

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sunflowers 01-15-2014 09:51 AM

Can I say "We told you so"? :D

Chip18 01-15-2014 10:09 AM

My dogs have never gone to a dog park. They are civil around people and civil around other dogs but they don't play with other dogs

Lots of people are idiots why were their dogs be any different?

Sp00ks 01-15-2014 10:10 AM

It isn't the dogs I dislike about dog parks......

ken k 01-15-2014 10:30 AM

your not over reacting, dog parks are fine, till there not, you found real quick there not

LaRen616 01-15-2014 10:45 AM

Are you sure it was a real fight and not just rough play?

My GSD and my Dalmatian get really loud and make terrible noises when they are playing, they look like they are really fighting but they are not. My GSD literally sounds like an angry bear when they wrestle.

ZoeandMoe 01-15-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 4837305)

My GSD and my Dalmatian get really loud and make terrible noises when they are playing, they look like they are really fighting but they are not. My GSD literally sounds like an angry bear when they wrestle.

I'm pretty sure it was a fight. I have two others at home he play fights with everyday. This time though, It was different. I seen every tooth in both dogs mouths and they were going for each others throats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunflowers (Post 4836889)
Can I say "We told you so"? :D

Haha, yes you can http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...xM_f3u022S.gif

halo2013 01-15-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaRen616 (Post 4837305)

My sister n law has a redbone coon hound named luke him and halo play all the time they draw a lot of attention. And sometimes they get a little carried away with themselves we have to separate them sometimes..but here in Pa all the dog parks are nothing to brag about. All dogs gang up on the new kid.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App