German Shepherds Forum banner

Shandy got hit by a Car!!!! :(

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Neko 
#1 ·
My 8 month old pup who I love dearly got hit in a parking lot Saturday when she jumped right out when I open the door! It was the most terrifying thing ever to happen to me! At first I thought that was it! Then she was yelling crying hysterically! I got her and I thought her leg and or pelvis was broken! Rushed her right to the animal hospital and she was in good spirits! They took an x ray and no broken bone but maybe a hairline fracture in her back leg! I have slept on the floor side by side with her since! Spoiled her to death! She is on pain pills but still in so much pain! I feel terrible for her. Doc ordered 4-5 weeks cage rest only to go out when she pees! So I carry her out a number of times a day and she hobbles around 3 legged wanting to play! I love her to death! She is one lucky pup!!!! Here's pics since the accident! Just wish I could take all her pain away

Dog breed Dog Canidae Carnivore Companion dog
Vertebrate Dog breed Dog Mammal Canidae
Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae Mammal
Face Hair Selfie Nose Head

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm glad she's okay - it could have been so much worse. Now that you know she'll jump out of the car, I'd be working on teaching her to stay in place until released. You can also work on this around the house at doorways. I do it off leash at the door the to garage to go out for potties and to come back in, but you can also train at the front door with her on leash, and the same with the car.

#7 ·
Glad she's on the mend..however, one should never put it past a GSD to milk their injury for all the TLC possible. I'm not saying she's not in pain but you may be seeing more drama than trauma!:)

jelpy

#8 ·
How awful. Hope your dog will be okay. Please everybody, keep them crated or harnessed in the car. It is so much safer. If you have to let them out, you can easily open the car door, wait until it is safe out there, open the crate and leash them. Teach them not to jump out until they are being released.

#13 ·
Sending wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

#15 ·
Yeah 99.9 percent of the time both my girls will not come out until command but it just so happen when I open the door her toy fell out of the car thus why she launched out!

Update: she put weight on it and is walking instead of me carrying her now! Lot more energy as well and a first FULL night of sleep for me! Keep in mind this just happen Saturday!!! Doc said cage rest for 4-5 weeks...only let her out when she needs "to go" but she's doing great!

And boy is she milking the injury she's getting so much attention and my 11 year old is really starting to get pissed haha

Mammal Vertebrate Dog Canidae Dog breed
Dog breed Canidae Dog Companion dog Carnivore

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#19 ·
Love the pics and so glad she is recuperating well!

and...what doggiedad said. After the dog knows sit/down and such the next step is to proof with all kinds of distractions. My trainer proofs sit, down by throwing toys right in front of the dogs and they learn to not move until released. Proofing is so important!

#24 ·
Glad she is better. My husbands old dog used to fake limp when he wanted attention and sometime he forgot what leg to limp on so we had to tell him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.