German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Shandy got hit by a Car!!!! :( (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/396002-shandy-got-hit-car.html)

huberm41 01-14-2014 12:23 PM

Shandy got hit by a Car!!!! :(

4 Attachment(s)
My 8 month old pup who I love dearly got hit in a parking lot Saturday when she jumped right out when I open the door! It was the most terrifying thing ever to happen to me! At first I thought that was it! Then she was yelling crying hysterically! I got her and I thought her leg and or pelvis was broken! Rushed her right to the animal hospital and she was in good spirits! They took an x ray and no broken bone but maybe a hairline fracture in her back leg! I have slept on the floor side by side with her since! Spoiled her to death! She is on pain pills but still in so much pain! I feel terrible for her. Doc ordered 4-5 weeks cage rest only to go out when she pees! So I carry her out a number of times a day and she hobbles around 3 legged wanting to play! I love her to death! She is one lucky pup!!!! Here's pics since the accident! Just wish I could take all her pain away

Attachment 164658Attachment 164666Attachment 164674Attachment 164682

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

blueangele 01-14-2014 12:28 PM

so sorry, but I love that picture of the two of you!

stmcfred 01-14-2014 12:29 PM

Poor girl! Glad she's okay

Sp00ks 01-14-2014 12:31 PM

Poor girl. Here's to a speedy recovery. I can't imagine.

I once had a dog hit a car, a couple of scars, a scared dog and driver but everything turned out ok.

Cassidy's Mom 01-14-2014 12:35 PM

I'm glad she's okay - it could have been so much worse. Now that you know she'll jump out of the car, I'd be working on teaching her to stay in place until released. You can also work on this around the house at doorways. I do it off leash at the door the to garage to go out for potties and to come back in, but you can also train at the front door with her on leash, and the same with the car.

Neko 01-14-2014 12:48 PM

So sorry and sending wishes for speedy recovery!

Jelpy 01-14-2014 01:36 PM

Glad she's on the mend..however, one should never put it past a GSD to milk their injury for all the TLC possible. I'm not saying she's not in pain but you may be seeing more drama than trauma!:)

jelpy

wolfy dog 01-14-2014 01:42 PM

How awful. Hope your dog will be okay. Please everybody, keep them crated or harnessed in the car. It is so much safer. If you have to let them out, you can easily open the car door, wait until it is safe out there, open the crate and leash them. Teach them not to jump out until they are being released.

MichaelE 01-14-2014 01:53 PM

I hope she gets better soon.

Wodinaz 01-14-2014 02:15 PM

No doubt my worst fear. Hope all turns out well.