The perfect dog (yeah right) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default The perfect dog (yeah right)

Ok this is a partial vent partial question. My sister-in-law has a chocolate lab. This dog is considered to be the "perfect dog." I am always hearing about all the great things Dixie can do and how well behaved she is. Today we are having a birthday party for my 2 year old Rayne. When we walked through the door of my mother-in-law's house Dixie started barking and growling. My sister-in-law told her to hush, which didn't work, and told my kids to pet her so she would stop. When she kept growling my SIL went and got one of her toys and gave it to her. She then my kids not to try and take it cause Dixie might bight them.

I am no expert on dogs, but I have dealt with them for way longer than my SIL. This is the 1st dog she has owned that I know of. She uses a shock collar set way to high, the theory is if you show the dog it hurts then the dog will behave to avoid it. Today she had a prong collar on very loosely around the base of the dogs neck. It is driving me nuts watching all the things she is doing wrong with this dog. She is convinced my boy Ammo is not trained as well as her dog and I don't know as much because Ammo is not cat friendly and her dog is. Her dog was raised with her cats, Ammo has never been around cats.

How do I deal with her dog growling at my kids. My SIL rewards the dog when she growls, with toys or petting. I am very worried that her dog will snap at my daughter and hurt her. I really want to be snotty but I can not, remember she is someone I have to deal with for a very long time. I can tell my older 2 kids to leave Dixie alone but my 2 year old thinks ever dog is like her Ammo. Should I just start bringing Ammo with us so Rayne has a dog to play with that won't bite her? Should I keep Ammo away so he won't attack Dixie for threatening his kids? Should I just ignore Dixie and let her owner deal with it? If it was your kids what would you do?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

That is a tough one...maybe you could speak to her about how " amazing Dixie" really is and go from there?

misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Don't allow your kids to interact with the dog. Don't bring the kids or ask to meet where their dog cannot accompany. It's not your dog and it's not worth getting into an argument over. If she notices and asks say that you're just not comfortable with the growling around your children and leave it at that. Meanwhile, delight in your awesome dog and stop comparing.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I don't really have any concrete answers but I sure as heck wouldn't keep my mouth shut and let one of my kids get bitten. That sure isn't going to help the family dynamic. The first thing I would do is remove my kids from the situation, however you have to do that.

I would definitely not introduce another dynamic into the already complicated situation by bringing my dog.

If this is SIL, I might have a talk with my bro. Tough case but let me share a little story.....

My uncle had a K9. Dog was old and my uncle being selfish refused to put the dog down. My father had been on him for quite a while to put the dog down to the point that it was causing issues in the family. One day I walked up beside the dog and next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital, 52 stitches in my neck where the dog had attacked me. I was 6 or 7 years old. This situation did not turn out well for me, the dog, or my father/uncle's relationship.

My point is, if something happens it will be worse than a little friction. However, it is definitely a touchy situation.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

When people with little kids come over I keep my dog in a different room or on a leash (for now at least). I do this because she is still a puppy in training (can get very excited) and because you don't know what the little kids might do.
I don't want to be responsible for an injury caused by the dog because the little kids were annoying her. You don't know what they might do depending on their last experience with a dog.

I'm very surprised that your SIL lets her dog around the kids if she is going to growl at them. I would tell her (nicely of course) that you value the safety of your children and that the dog should not be around them if she is going to behave like that. Don't take your dog over, it's her dog and her problem.
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

It's hard not to be around this dog. She brings Dixie to every family dinner today is my daughter's birthday party at my mother-in-law's house and she brought the dog with her. She is my husband's sister. I may see if he will talk to her.

Also I'm not trying to compare the 2 dogs. I frankly don't give a rat's backside that she thinks her dog is better than mine. I was just trying to give you all an understanding of how great they think this dog is. In the families eyes this dog walked on water next to Jesus.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUbrat79 View Post
It's hard not to be around this dog. She brings Dixie to every family dinner today is my daughter's birthday party at my mother-in-law's house and she brought the dog with her. She is my husband's sister. I may see if he will talk to her.

Also I'm not trying to compare the 2 dogs. I frankly don't give a rat's backside that she thinks her dog is better than mine. I was just trying to give you all an understanding of how great they think this dog is. In the families eyes this dog walked on water next to Jesus.
That is absolutely inappropriate, honestly. This is YOUR DAUGHTER's party and her safety is paramount. The dog needs to be kept in an area separate from your children. Sounds like she just needs some boundaries set with regards to where her dog is welcome.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury View Post

Don't allow your kids to interact with the dog. Don't bring the kids or ask to meet where their dog cannot accompany. It's not your dog and it's not worth getting into an argument over. If she notices and asks say that you're just not comfortable with the growling around your children and leave it at that. Meanwhile, delight in your awesome dog and stop comparing.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would start with having a chat with your husband. If that did not work then, I guess it would be fight night. I would not be able to keep my mouth shut, family or not. I would have to tell someone about themself and their dog.
Bman0221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 08:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

I'm the odd one out.. again

My BiL moved in with my in-laws many years ago. Brought with him a St Bernard who preferred biting to eating it seemed. There was no effort made at all to control the dog or put him away when kids were around. My son did not go over to his grandparents house again until that dog was no longer there. My priority was my son, the relationship with the in-laws was secondary.
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.