The perfect dog (yeah right) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I agree. This may create family tension but you are just going to have to stand up and say you do not want her dog around your kids. A dog growling at children is not a good sign no matter what.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
My priority was my son, the relationship with the in-laws was secondary.
Just to be clear my children are my number one priority.

Everyone thinks the dog is great. She has never actually bit anyone. Anytime someone comes in the house she will growl and bark. My SIL's reaction to it is to reward her either through petting or toys. The advice given to my kids was to pet her, while she growled, to calm her down.

I did make a big enough scene about the kids not petting a growling dog that my SIL finally put her in her crate.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Maybe you could try talking to your SIL and pointing out the things you said and explain to her that she is rewarding the behavior. I get the impression just from the tone of your OP that she is probably not the kinda person who would listen, but it may be worth a shot. MAYBE !
Bman0221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman0221 View Post
Maybe you could try talking to your SIL and pointing out the things you said and explain to her that she is rewarding the behavior. I get the impression just from the tone of your OP that she is probably not the kinda person who would listen, but it may be worth a shot. MAYBE !
She is the baby of the family, and can do no wrong. My husband, her brother, is the middle child and the black sheep of the family. I am the unwanted family member. They are all nice to me but it is clear by both sisters that I am not well liked. On more than one occasion the little sister (the one with the dog) has reprimanded me on my parenting, she has no children.

I firmly believe that if I keep my mouth shut karma will eventually bite her in the you know what. I have told my older 2 to never ever pet a dog that is growling no matter who says it's ok. From now on when the dog is there and growling I will have my children far away from her.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUbrat79 View Post
She is the baby of the family, and can do no wrong. My husband, her brother, is the middle child and the black sheep of the family. I am the unwanted family member. They are all nice to me but it is clear by both sisters that I am not well liked. On more than one occasion the little sister (the one with the dog) has reprimanded me on my parenting, she has no children.

I firmly believe that if I keep my mouth shut karma will eventually bite her in the you know what. I have told my older 2 to never ever pet a dog that is growling no matter who says it's ok. From now on when the dog is there and growling I will have my children far away from her.

Hey, it's hard to be an in-law and try to break into a family. They're nice to you, but you are not a sibling. They have a shared history that you don't have. It may not be that they dislike you, they just are familiar enough with you to be as comfortable with you as they are with each other.

As for the younger one reprimanding your parenting -- she doesn't have children. This is NORMAL. People who don't have children have plenty of time to think about how they would do if they DID have children. They have a very romantic idea of the whole thing. I would NEVER __________! Fill in the blank.

My little brother is 38. He does not have kids. My little sister is 34, she has two: 4 and almost 3. My brother -- her sibling, tells her what she is doing wrong. I am 11 years older than she is, and don't have any kids. I sometimes tell her a thing or two too. It is normal. People who have never had children 24/7 are still kind of in la la land when it comes to what everyone else should do with their kids.

Oh, BTW, before my little sister had kids, she used to tell my older sister what she should or shouldn't do.

Families, ya just got to love them. You don't have to like them.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:

And you want to be a part of this? Honestly? Let alone your kids?

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, Bh, CGC (HOT)... And now Oberon v. Wildhaus ~ the obnoxious puppy..
G-burg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
I'm the odd one out.. again

My BiL moved in with my in-laws many years ago. Brought with him a St Bernard who preferred biting to eating it seemed. There was no effort made at all to control the dog or put him away when kids were around. My son did not go over to his grandparents house again until that dog was no longer there. My priority was my son, the relationship with the in-laws was secondary.
I out there with you. I wouldn't have my children around a dog that I wasn't comfortable with. Anyone who doesn't understand will just have to get over it.
ksotto333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A growl is a warning. Plain and simple. Do not under any circumstances allow your kids around that dog. Especially since some dimwit is encouraging people to pet the growling dog until she calms down. THAT is a horrible idea. It comes down to protecting your kids or ticking off clueless family members, protect your kids. Especially since you have a young one that is at the age where all dogs are just as great and loving as their own. It doesn't work that way and we know that but they don't.

Protect your kids and whatever you do, don't bring Ammo into the mix. That could create further problems. The growling dog could be a huge threat in Ammo's eyes and could result in massive vet bills. Nobody wants that.

Even if it means no longer attending family functions unless you can be certain the growling spoiled brat isn't there... OR start having the functions at your house and restrict your SIL from bringing the growler. They'll either see your dog behaves or they wont, doesn't really matter. You know your kids are safe with your dog.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CAA, RATI 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 01:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm the one in my family that always has to bring her dog along, so I can relate. But I feel terrible seeing her side of it, because wow, what a nutter! Yikes! I'm glad she was finally able to crate her dog and keep your children safe, and I really hope she keeps that up! Otherwise, I'd just stay away. Go pet the growling dog?! Worst advice ever. Poor you to have to put up with her.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-burg View Post
And you want to be a part of this? Honestly? Let alone your kids?
This is what I was thinking.

If his family doesn't like you then why keep trying? Who wants to be around negativity?

If a dog growled at my kids and I felt that he could/would bite them then my kids would never be around that dog again. I am the kind of person that tells it like it is, I would let my SIL know that she doesn't know how to properly use dog training equipment nor does she know how to properly train a dog. I would also let her know that her dog is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If she doesn't like you and you don't really like her and your kids being around her dog is dangerous then who cares what she thinks/says, tell her she's in the wrong!

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Draven ~ male Dalmatian 6.30.13
LaRen616 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.