German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Teeth brushing! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/388866-teeth-brushing.html)

misslesleedavis1 12-30-2013 10:14 PM

Teeth brushing!

I decided to start brushing the dogs teeth tonight, i started with tyson, I put PB smelling toothpaste on a very new lovely tooth brush and he fought me the whole way, swinging his head around and rolling from side to side until he got fed up with the ordeal and totally ripped the blue side cleaners off and chewed the thing till it looked like it was 20+ years old :)...lol on to the cleaner that goes over your finger, which he was alot better with when he realized it was my finger...it was a scene, dog tooth paste all over his nose, my pants and shirt lol. On the flip side my big mix pup fell asleep during her tooth cleaning and started snoring.

TAR HEEL MOM 12-30-2013 10:19 PM

LOL. I can just see that scene in my mind. I'm afraid it would be much the same at my house. Funny thing...I have absolutely never brushed my dogs' teeth and my et always comments on how great their teeth look and says.."Keep doing whatever you're doing."

marbury 12-30-2013 10:57 PM

Just feed raw bones or appropriate chews. Way more effective and fun!

misslesleedavis1 12-30-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marbury (Post 4746674)
Just feed raw bones or appropriate chews. Way more effective and fun!

I will most likely be doing this in the future, but i had a moment in the pet store were i thought it was a good plan :) it was a funny messy plan and i am sure tyson would agree.

LifeofRiley 12-30-2013 11:33 PM

I think that some dogs have better teeth than others and it is a genetic issue. My last dog, a mutt, had perfect teeth for 10+ years. At 11, I took him in for special dental cleaning at the vet... and, they were shocked that 1) he was 11 and, 2) had never had professional cleaning before [because his teeth were in such good shape].

My current dog, Riley, is 4.5 years old and I do have to stay on top of his dental hygiene. In fact, at the last vet visit, my vet scraped a lot of tartar off of his teeth. The vet was super impressed that Riley let her do that with no fuss... I was too! But, I was even more surprised that he needed to have that done given his age.

I think I will add some raw bones to his rotation as there seems to be a consensus that they are better for dental hygiene than other types of bones... right?

marbury 12-31-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeofRiley (Post 4746858)
I think I will add some raw bones to his rotation as there seems to be a consensus that they are better for dental hygiene than other types of bones... right?

Yep! Think of tiny, delicious squeegees! :laugh:

Darth_Ariel 12-31-2013 03:26 AM

I'd stick to the bones as hilarious as that scene probably looked!

With Vader I'd probably come away with holes in my hand, he would try chewing on me like a toy since he still hasn't grasped mom's hand = don't chew
My older dog probably would have been like your mix pup though, I'd be surprised if he didn't smile for it so he could get the peanut butter flavoring easier.

stephyjohnson4 01-04-2014 04:01 PM

Most of the time for me I used bones. But once in a while I would take him in the vet to do deep cleaning, but that can be costly.

Sunflowers 01-04-2014 04:16 PM

I stick to femur bones and antlers. More fun for both of us.

David Taggart 01-04-2014 04:21 PM

Are you intended to do it every day to the rest of his life? I don't think so. Dogs clean their teeth by gnawing the bones they cannot chew. They chew the cartilage of the joint and continue to work on the bone. It also is a calcium source, a growing dog needs it. Consult your butcher which beef bone part to feed your puppy and provide often with raw bones including pork ribs.
Dogs work on the bone differently and it is not necessarily he will remove all the scale. I use a dental tool to scrape it time to time on Lucy's fangs.