Are people scared of your German shepherd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Are people scared of your German shepherd?

Where I am, German shepherd dogs are feared. A lot- I am assuming. Out in public, are people scared of your GSD?

What happens to me::

1. One time when Dakota was FOUR MONTHS old, someone said she was creepy.
2. When walking, some people will look at me funny or Dakota. Or nasty looks, when looking at Dakota.
3. One time I was at the beach and a little girl walked up to Dakota. Dakota just stood there and didn't jump, and the mother called the little girl with a panicked voice and scared look and the little girl went back. Two minutes later, someone with a Golden Retriever showed up that was pulling, yipping and running around and the little girl walked up to that dog and the mother went and started talking with the person and petting the dog.
DakotaOfNorthK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 12:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

It's funny that someone said she/he was creepy. I was out with my 12 week old pup yesterday and a little boy said, "your dog is creepy." I said, "well, he's very nice, would you like to pet him." And he came over, very VERY timidly, and my little guy sat back and let him pet him so nicely. Little boy thought it was great. I couldn't believe he thought he was creepy, he's a puppy! lol

I love changing people's perception of the GSD, especially kids. I don't care as much about adults, but I'll stop what I'm doing to let a little kid see that they aren't all mean, scary, dogs.
"An excess of size is an unserviceable feature for breeding, his powers of endurance, his speed and the smartness of his movements suffer in all circumstances. Giants are never nimble."-Creator of GSD
DaniFani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sometimes. By looks only & not behavior.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

i mean what do you expect? people see german shepherds used by police and military. they see videos of shepherds biting bad guys. there is a certain intimidation factor and i dont know about you but my dog sure wouldnt win any beauty contests.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When they were puppies no, adolescent age yes, more mature no. I find that now that they are older people are intrigued by them. I have more people approach me and they are thrilled to be able to pet a German Shepherd. My dogs don't go out of their way to approach people, but they automatically sit when people approach them, which makes them very approachable. Kids are a whole other ball game, both my GSD's adore kids and seem to prefer them over adults.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound

Last edited by llombardo; 12-29-2013 at 01:20 AM.
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kids seem to be the most afraid of my GSD... I've had a mixed bag of results with adults from people acting outright afraid to people gushing over him and taking photos.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

When people with little kids come over they assume when we say our dog is a puppy that it will be small. When they actually see Xena they get freaked out and don't want their kid anywhere near her even if it's on the other side of a fence.
Xena9012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

My current one: not really, but he's a goofy looking long coat. My previous one: alll the time. He was very tall, mostly black and quite intimidating looking. I'm not really fussed either way though. On a side note - do you have two accounts, or are there just two new people who both have GSDs called Dakota from NorthK9?

My dogs life story
Vagus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 03:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sometimes

David Winners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

People will almost always cross the street before approaching us so I'd say yes.

You'd have to know the neighborhood though to appreciate that. They're also afraid of the po-leece.

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.