German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Why can't people mind their own business? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/387410-why-cant-people-mind-their-own-business.html)

vicky2200 12-27-2013 06:16 PM

Why can't people mind their own business?

At the family Christmas party my mom was talking to her sisters about our animals and of course they had to voice their opinions about how we shouldn't get more animals. My mom said "I'm not getting more birds or fish" (she doesn't like them, they are mine). Her sisters replied with "And no more dogs!" My mom continued to tell them that when she finishes school (she is going back) and gets a job, she will get another dog. They went on to tell her how crazy she is and four dogs (what we have now) is way too many.

I just really can never understand their need to tell my mom, and me, how to lead our lives. If we want to use all of our money on our animals, what is it to them? I just cant wrap my mind around it.

huntergreen 12-27-2013 07:31 PM

its hard with family. they are her sisters so let her deal with it.

Ava_Shepsky 12-27-2013 09:07 PM

My family stopped visiting because we have "too many" too. It's two dogs two birds and a cat -______- some people just don't get it.

onyx'girl 12-27-2013 09:37 PM

my sister has 24 chickens, she is causing the local ordinance to be reviewed. I didn't voice my opinion on the numbers she hoards...but would have liked to. I know, 24 chickens is nothing to some people, and 4(like we have) is too many for others. My grandmother use to rehab critters all the time, and I know the neighbors looked down on her. "Why rehab a raccoon or opposum, just off those nasty vermits" yet we loved them and nutured them until they could be released.

It is all in the eye of the beholder, but when it comes down to neglect/hoarding or possibly abuse, then I'll step in and ignore the judgements.

MyHans-someBoy 12-27-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ava_Shepsky (Post 4731818)
My family stopped visiting because we have "too many" too. It's two dogs two birds and a cat -______- some people just don't get it.

Priceless! They won't want to visit me either, then. We currently have two dogs and five cats.

Years ago, when we did not have dogs, we had 12 cats and I saw one at the shelter that I HAD to have. He went on to become my heart cat :)

The shelter I went to required several pages of info ( and that is great) and asked me how I was going to care for a 13th. I explained exactly how and told them they could call my vet for a reference.

They called and after only a minute or so, said "He gave you an excellent reference, so you can adopt him."

I know that seems like a lot of animals, but if can truly take care of X number of animals, with attention and vet care, then who cares what anyone thinks!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Galathiel 12-27-2013 10:02 PM

I don't think they care what anyone thinks .. it's just annoying to have people tell you what THEY think is an appropriate number of pets for another person to have. I have run into that with family members in the past. I also have someone in the family that has wayyy too many dogs that don't get to be family members. They are used for various forms of hunting so I do get it ... but eh .. not when someone can care for the number they have and those have a quality life.

selzer 12-27-2013 10:10 PM

Families are so distant nowadays. One would think that sisters ought to be able to voice their opinion about a sister's choices. It is just an opinion. Maybe it would indicate that someone cares.

And there are people out there that have too many dogs or cats. Maybe if someone important to them, did care enough to discuss it, it wouldn't get blown so far out of hand. And then, maybe there is nothing one can do that will make that problem better until the person who has the problem is ready to try and change.

I dunno. I think people have to choose their battles and try to figure out what is being interfering, and what is in the best interest of all the parties involved.

doggiedad 12-27-2013 10:32 PM

your mother was engaged in a conversation with her sisters
about animals. they expressed their opinons to your mother.
you weren't a part of the conversation. it seems like you
were minding their business. you overheard a conversation.

Betty 12-27-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4732170)

That seems like a pretty big assumption on a couple different fronts.

doggiedad 12-27-2013 10:54 PM

assumption??

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicky2200 (Post 4731106)

>>>>> At the family Christmas party >>>>my mom was talking to her sisters<<<<< about our animals and of course they had to voice their opinions about how we shouldn't get more animals.

My mom said "I'm not getting more birds or fish" (she doesn't like them, they are mine). Her sisters replied with "And no more dogs!"

>>>>> My mom continued to tell them<<<<<

that when she finishes school (she is going back) and gets a job, she will get another dog. They went on to tell her how crazy she is and four dogs (what we have now) is way too many.

>>>>> I just really can never understand their need to tell my mom,<<<<

and me, how to lead our lives. If we want to use all of our money on our animals, what is it to them? I just cant wrap my mind around it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiedad (Post 4732170)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty (Post 4732210)
That seems like a pretty

>>>>>big assumption<<<<<

on a couple different fronts.