Pesky Relatives - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pesky Relatives

My relatives came in for the holidays and the Relatives vs. My Training battle started. For the majority my relatives follow my wishes, an uncle who is a yank and crank trainer wasn't here this time (thankfully) so I didn't have to hear about all the things I'm doing wrong. This did however leave room for my aunt to come (they don't come at the same time) and she is one of those bleeding heart animal lovers who think they should eat whatever they want, do whatever they want and behave however they want so long as it makes the animal happy.

Any time this woman comes the second she steps in the door the problems start, and she can't be asked to not come due to her needing a full time caregiver which means my grandmother couldn't come for the holidays. Poor Vader has to spend a large quantity of the time she's around in his crate so that she doesn't enforce his jumping, swallowing things that aren't food and her feeding him table food to "fatten him up", apparently I starve him. Him being in the crate has also left me with numerous comments about how I had "better let him out right now".

Anyone else have fun with the relatives and their dogs?
Darth_Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh, yes.

My Mother is just about the best person I know but...

When I first adopted my adult GSD, he had to have a prong collar to help with several training issues. I thought she was going to start crying the minute she saw it, lol. She thinks they are barbaric, even though I explained that fitted properly and utilized properly, they can be a great training tool, especially for a big, rough, unmannered, under socialized dog who was just as likely to blow off a known command as listen to it (at least in the beginning. )

She also thinks animals should be free to run around and does not approve of the fact that our Cowdog is in a kennel when we are at work. So, I asked her if it would be best to come home and find that the Cowdog went to the neighbors, ran their bull through the fence, letting all of their cows on the road to be hit by a car, causing injury to both animals and humans??

Her answer? "Well, I just hate to see her pacing like that."
My reply ? "At least she has a kennel plenty big enough to pace and burn off a little energy and a well trained human who will come home, play tug or ball, and let her work OUR cows in a controlled environment."

Might as well be talking to the wall, lol.
Ugh!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
MyHans-someBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't even attempt it anymore.

I'm a dog trainer for crying out loud, and my family doesn't believe a single word I say.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I think I am the pesky relative.

I've gotten better at keeping my mouth shut, though. A little. A very little.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merciel View Post
I think I am the pesky relative.

I've gotten better at keeping my mouth shut, though. A little. A very little.
Oh, I just see you as being a great advocate for animals, and along with that comes speaking up, if an animal is truly being neglected and/or abused.

However, sometimes tough love has to be used for the safety of a particular animal or the humans with which it interacts. For example, my Mom kept frowning whenever I'd correct Hans (in the early days) for jumping on people. This did not involve anything but a flat collar, telling him "off" and tugging his leash back towards planet earth, with tons of praise and petting for sitting nicely.

So I explained that while a few adults might be able to take an 80 lb hit from a GSD, what if he knocked a small child to the pavement, causing them to hit their head? She conceded that might be true.

But I feel like I'm swimming against the tide, so to speak...

Old 12-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can talk about dogs all day and all night. I don't have brats, so I can mostly just listen to those conversations. Two of my brothers are computer geeks -- they make a living off of it, but that doesn't prevent them from talking about it whenever, wherever, and forever.

I have learned to sit in my corner and type on my dog forum, however rude that might be, while keeping one half an ear on the kid-conversations, and one half and eye on the kids. But, I have also learned that the tolerance for non-believers to appear interested in the conversation in the name of of hospitality, when it comes to dogs is almost nil.

And an appropriate present is always pictures of kids. But I don't think that would be true if I were to present a photo of my group to them.

Ah well. In my opinion, being a dog fanatic can't possibly be as boring to outsiders as computer geeks. And at least the kids love me.

I do not bring my dogs to the insanity. Just too many people all over the place, and my folks used to have a siezure dog, so they didn't want me bringing the girls over to get him riled up. Now that he is gone, dad does most of the cleaning, and Mom's eye's been infected for a couple of years now, and she is waiting for yet another surgery, until that is taken care of, I want to keep my critters out of here.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My mom is always on me for dexters weight, he is 43 lbs and a BC, she says cruel things about him starving all the time, and everytime he goes to visit she shoves tons of kibble down his throat and cheese on top of that. Dexter gets 1 cup in the morning and 1 1/2 cups at dinner. I dont feed him table scraps, he eats only his kibble. He will get high quality moist food sometimes. My fiance slips him a hot dog at times but for the most part he understands i dont want a obese, unhealthy collie. She is on me about Tysons weight aswell...moms lol they tend to think things are too skinny alot.
misslesleedavis1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misslesleedavis1 View Post
My mom is always on me for dexters weight, he is 43 lbs and a BC, she says cruel things about him starving all the time, and everytime he goes to visit she shoves tons of kibble down his throat and cheese on top of that. Dexter gets 1 cup in the morning and 1 1/2 cups at dinner. I dont feed him table scraps, he eats only his kibble. He will get high quality moist food sometimes. My fiance slips him a hot dog at times but for the most part he understands i dont want a obese, unhealthy collie. She is on me about Tysons weight aswell...moms lol they tend to think things are too skinny alot.
Geez, yeah, did I leave that part out?

The "Isn't he kinda skinny. I think I might have seen his ribs when he twisted around!"

Yes, I do keep him on the lean side since he has a bad right hip. More tough love I guess, lol.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ah, the forum must love me. It decided to cut out everything I typed right before the send.

Selzer- My older sister gets to be the odd one out, my little sister and I are the ones with dogs so she is forced to listen to us 24/7 while we drown out her talking about her kiddos.

The "Off!" is the worst, because no matter how many times you explain he cannot jump on people with SAR so allowing him to jump is unacceptable just falls on deaf ears.

My grandmother was bad with the secret table feeding until he ninja'ed a donut out of her hand and almost got the hand in the process. Then she saw why table feeding is a no. Vader looks thin, but not for lack of feeding. The never ending comments about how I should be feeding him more leaves a dent from me banging my head against the metaphorical wall. 4 and a half cups a day is plenty!

Merciel- I wouldn't mind your opinion since I think as a seasoned board-goer you have healthy well behaved dogs. I'm sure I'm a reverse Pesky Relative to her since I remind her that her dogs pee in the house and are so overweight they have fat rolls in their tail.
Darth_Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

My GSD is about 2 years now and he hates for me to leave the house without him. If he notices that I'm getting ready to leave the house, he will sneak off out of sight and wait for me to open the front door. Then he will sprint to the car, lay down, and won't move till I actually have to pick him up sometimes. He is very determined.
Pesky Relatives-imageuploadedbypg-free1388188217.495305.jpg

Pick1Nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.