Rant -- people who say that their going to take the dog to the pound if... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Rant -- people who say that their going to take the dog to the pound if...

Not sure if this is the most appropriate place for this post, so feel free to move it if there is a better place.

Today's rant is about those people who say that the dog has to be gone by a day, or they will take it to the pound; or who tell you that if you do not take it they will take it to the pound.

This so infuriated me when reading about the 7 year old with hip x-ray, protection trained, but is chasing foals, so has to go. With going after livestock and having PPT, yes the dog probably wouldn't make it out of a shelter because of the liability.

But that's not the thing. The thing is how manipulative people are. Dog lovers have a giant KICK ME sign on their back, or an aura of a sucker floating around their heads. It makes me want to make a general rule, if someone is going to make threats, the conversation, the deal, the possibility that I will do anything for them is over. Unfortunately, that means the dog too.

No one should feel compelled to take a dog, or the owner will take it to be euthanized, or the owner will shoot it, or the owner will dump it at the pound.

Breeders do this too. If the dog has a problem, call the breeder, and they tell you to put it down, and they will send you a replacement when it comes available. Well, darn! You weren't thinking the dog would be put down. now you have to think about whether or not you are going to do that. The puppy's problem isn't that critical.

And shelters sometimes do this too. They will tell you that if a dog comes back, the dog will be put down. Yes, maybe it makes you work harder to make it work out. But, sometimes the match just isn't right and by having such a rule, the shelter is making people keep a dog that isn't a good match or the dog will be put down.

People shouldn't be under that sort of pressure.

When Arwen was lost, I was called by some people in the nearby city who had found a puppy. It wasn't Arwen. I was going to leave. They asked if I would take the puppy. I didn't want the puppy. But they told me their landlord wouldn't allow them to have the puppy, if I didn't take it, they would drive it out and dump it. I asked why they did not take it to the shelter. They said they couldn't do that.

I took it, got it a set of shots, and turned it over to the shelter and explained what the women told me. I took it because they were going to push the puppy out and abandon it.

I just don't understand how people can threaten total strangers about the disposition of their dog. If you do not take my dog, I will take it to the shelter. And we are suckered into that.

It is manipulative, uncaring, and yes, the dog is better off without scumbag owners like that.

I wonder what they would say if we said, "Fine, I will save you the bother, I will drop the dog off at the shelter for you." If we call their bluff, are they going to turn the dog over to us?
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm right there with you. I'm ready to just ask animal control to go visit the people in order to help get the dog to the shelter. Here they allow anyone to relinquish any dog to the animal control officers as a public service, so it might make the whole situation easier.

I think breeders and rescuers both get this manipulation from people who think we can't say no. I get threatened at least twice a week that if I don't take some dog, it will go to the shelter.

I'm out at the shelter once a week, I know all the staff there, and I pull all my rescue's dogs from there -- it's simply not a threat to me. If it's an adoptable dog, I'll have better access to it at the shelter, can get it vaxxed, speutered, and HW tested -- and I will have time to find an appropriate foster home without the urgency of manufactured manipulation.

The latest scam we've been seeing here is people who put a dog on a chain, post it on CL with a horrible, sad picture saying the dog needs to go "right now"-- then when rescues offer to help, these clowns demand that rescues pay a few hundred dollars to be "allowed" to save the dog from the life on a chain. I'm 100% sure it's a scam designed to pull at the heart-strings of tender-hearted rescuers who would do anything to help a dog in need. I will not participate in supporting those creeps financially.

Last edited by Magwart; 12-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
I wonder what they would say if we said, "Fine, I will save you the bother, I will drop the dog off at the shelter for you." If we call their bluff, are they going to turn the dog over to us?
Probably. Because at that point, they are so done and frustrated with the dog that they don't care who gets it or what happens to it.
If they did, they would take their time to place the dog in a good home.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Personally unless giving your dog up for your own health issues or cause too old to cope or bitten and out of control no animal should end up in shelters I take dogs on for the duration of there life no matter what the issues they live out there lives with me majority of past 30 years I rescued gsd originally with intention of getting them better and find good home trouble is I got so attached they stayed and lived there lives out with me but never ceases to amaze me what people do or think with dogs too many buy as new toy then grows goes through chew stage and then oh let's get rid there the type people who shouldn't even own a dog and those who can't be bothered to try and work with the dog sad to see so many dogs euthenised so unnecessarily when could be avoided

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
sarah1366 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1366 View Post
Personally unless giving your dog up for your own health issues or cause too old to cope or bitten and out of control no animal should end up in shelters I take dogs on for the duration of there life no matter what the issues they live out there lives with me majority of past 30 years I rescued gsd originally with intention of getting them better and find good home trouble is I got so attached they stayed and lived there lives out with me but never ceases to amaze me what people do or think with dogs too many buy as new toy then grows goes through chew stage and then oh let's get rid there the type people who shouldn't even own a dog and those who can't be bothered to try and work with the dog sad to see so many dogs euthenised so unnecessarily when could be avoided

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Biggest run-on sentence award!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I learned a long time ago to try and disregard the other person in these type of situations and just concentrate on what is best for the dog in question.

Am I manipulated sometimes? Sure. but I can live with that.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You know...I have a very hard time with the "no kill" thing. Mostly because I know there just aren't enough homes out there for all the unwanted dogs in this world. The more you dwell on the fact that there are all those dogs out there, the more upset you'll get. I kind of came to the conclusion that I will do everything possible for MY dogs, and I will certainly help out any friend that needs help with their dog, but it would almost be unfair to my dogs if I ran around worried about how everyone else was treating their dogs.

I really respect the rescue people in this world, but there's only so much you can do. It sucks, big time, that perfectly good/healthy dogs get put down because there just isn't someone that's willing to take them in, but sadly that's the reality of the world we live in. I see it as...for every dog you rescue from a person threatening to take it to the shelter...there's one lined up going into the shelter anyways that you would've probably pulled if you hadn't been swayed by the threat straight from the person doing the dumping. No matter how hard we try, shelters are always going to be filled to the rim.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't really have a problem with them putting down dogs in shelters. I think it better for them to put down dogs that are seriously injured or sick, or aggressive, and give the other dogs a shot if at all problem. But my problem in the thread is people who manipulate or use or try and guilt people into taking their dog off of their hands.

A dog that comes into a home as an anticipated and wanted critter, whether puppy or adult, with all members of the family on board, and when the people feel the dog is going to be a good fit, and have things in place for another dog, the dog is coming in with no negative connotations, resentment, etc.

Dogs who an individual feels compelled to save, even though the dog is the same age or sex as a dog they have, even though it has a bite history and they have kids, even though it is 9 or 10 years old and they have no funds for veterinary care or training, etc, etc. Maybe the new owners will not resent the new dog. I would hope they would be able to overcome anger at the critter, when they know its the previous owner that helped them get strapped with this dog. But the dog is a visible reminder, and if it does have problems, behavioral or health that made it difficult for the first owner to manage, it can easily become a point of irritation in the home.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

People with big hearts always end up getting manipulated into something.
misslesleedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The fact is, you can't save them all. I try and help out when I can but that's all I can do. The sympathy card is played everywhere and it frustrates me to. Just look on many rescue/shelter sites. All you see are the sad stories of the deathly ill, crippled, or whatever dog. Everyone is so quick to give money to save them or adopt them, all the while taking a home away from a perfectly healthy dog. If the dogs not healthy, put it down. Yes I know that's not a popular opinion here but oh well, I think the Spartans had the right idea with human children as well.

I'm trying to work with a lady right now who has had her "dream" dog for the last six plus years. She imported the dog titled and blah blah blah, is now moving and can't take her dog. Really? Okay well it's a beautiful dog I'm sure I can find it a nice retirement home, but I just don't understand it.
mycobraracr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.