My dogs life story! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My dogs life story!

DAKOTA- FOUR-FIVE MONTHS

When I first got my puppy, Dakota, I seriously had no clue what the working German shepherd dogs were about. We got her at four months old. I tell you, although I loved puppies, she drove me nuts. Me and my family had no idea how to train dogs, especially breeds like German shepherds. Around five months old, my mom announced she had enough of the barking, high prey driven, excited, intense dog that destroyed stuff. I was sad, because, Dakota was a good puppy at times. She would cuddle with you and sleep right beside you. With me, she would get sad when I left for school. I tried convincing my mom, but she said "No!" I was so depressed.
The next day she called up the breeder. She told him Dakota was an unruly puppy, that 'attacked' my little sister(we never knew it was prey drive. It wasn't even an 'attack!')
The breeder went quiet for a second. Hearing a sign on the other side he said; "Anna, did you do any training with Dakota at all?" She said no, and he just chuckled. "If you're sure you don't want her, drop her off. I accept my puppis- but, why don't you give her a try? I owned German shepherd dogs for fifteen years and they are the best with children. Extremely smart, strong willed and protective."
My mom agreed to the free Obedience sessions from the Police dog trainer and breeder. That Saturday, we went. Of course; Dakota was dog aggressive and tried to eat the other puppies(some other puppies(dakota's littermates were there too) and the breeder told us what to do. We did what he said.
That same day, we had all the dogs laying down in a circle, while the trainer talked with us about training, German shepherd dogs and laughed with us.

I remember teaching Dakota heel. She was floppy when she ran, and had almost no attention span. I struggled with it at first, but succeeded. After a while of starting on Heel, sit and down the breeder got the puppies a drink. Dakota and her sister, Sawyer, were drinking from the same bowl. Everything went well until Dakota nipped the puppies ear. Luckily, the owner of Sawyer had her on a leash. Dakota RAN so fast, the leash slipped from my grip.
Now I tell you- she is a fast dog. As a puppy, she was impossible to catch. She ran in circles, and the breeder got the owner of Bob to calm Sawyer down. The other puppies were kind of excited, but not as much.

Finally Dakota stopped running and came back. The breeder just told us not to say 'come' because, of course, she didn't know the command. By that time, the training session was over.
__________________________________________________ ______________

DAKOTA- TEN MONTHS-TWELVE MONTHS

We still went to training. Dakota improved. But, the funny thing was, Sawyer did not forgive Dakota. Long time, right? For a puppy to remember that incident? Dakota could heel, I learned more about German shepherd dogs. Now the breeder brought out his dogs, Crush and Cloud. They were both a year and a half, basically trained, but Crush was kind of 'lay down stubborn.'
Dakota and Sawyer almost got in a fight, but thankful to my quick thinking, I could pull Dakota back in time.
Crush, the breeders male German shepherd, was always interested in Dakota. Whenever she came, he would lay down to her and they would have a little 'make out session' xD
After the rest of the dogs left, we told the breeder about our problem with Dakotas 'drop it.' She wouldn't drop her balls for nobody- when I say nobody, NO ONE. It's tough getting her ball back, unless she is feeling geneorious, shell give it to you.
He managed to get her to drop the ball once, but nope, she wouldn't give it to him. We have been working on drop it since, but no luck. LOL.
__________________________________________________ ______________
DAKOTA- ONE YEAR AND TWO MONTHS

I stopped going to NK9 around one year and two months with my mom. Dakota was basically fully trained. We still keep in contact with the breeder. Throughout the time, we still had problems with drop it. She learned so quickly but with 'drop it,' impossible. Dakota and Sawyer never became good friends, they seemed to keep away. Sometimes when Dakota would try to be friendly, they got close a few times until Sawyer got attacked by two dogs. She was aggressive again, but with every dog. The breeder corrected it, but she was always tense since. Once Sawyer was finally fine, Sawyers owner got another dog named Wyatt. A black sable, tough, male that was MASSIVE.
Dakota did agility there, obedience and soon we started on tracking. The breeder told us she was a 'natural' at it. We figured that, she has an epic sense of smell.
We left when winter started. Dakota is basically fully trained now. We're going back to NK9 soon with her, just to talk with the breeder again, and pick up a new puppy and leashes. Maybe some agility.
__________________________________________________ _______-

Hope you enjoyed the story xD

northern k9
GSD_Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Great story. Interesting how a dog can hold a grudge against another dog. If you try using 2 balls, Dakota may give up her ball easier
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.