German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   Freedom! Run run run! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/378953-freedom-run-run-run.html)

brembo 12-09-2013 08:33 PM

Freedom! Run run run!

Dogs did something very very odd today. So unlike either of them.

I got home from work. Decided to grab a handful of firewood before going in the house. Opened screen door and right as I opened the main door both dogs bolted. I mean they hit the bricks at full clip with a mission in mind. Zipped down my road(private), crossed the main road(small heart attack there) and went out of sight. I had, by this point, dropped the firewood and was half sprinting/jogging to catch up. There might be a few olympic runners that can hang with a dog for a few hundred meters, and I am 100% sure I am not one of them.

As the sight lines straighten up I see them, still in overdrive, both with head down and pumping as hard as they can. They reached a random (to me) house about a 1/4 mile from my place and both hit the brakes and begin to investigate the yard. Not the "ohhh, found something neat here" kind of finding something but a more "FOUND IT, KNEW IT WAS HERE!" sort of sniffing around. I had no issue calling them to me once I arrived in the yard, de-belted myself, looped that around Cable's neck and grabbed Allie by the scruff.

I started to return home, hunched over and breathing heavily and the homeowner kinda materialized out of nowhere. "Hey, pretty dogs there".

Me: "Uhhh, yeah, sorry about this. They just beelined it here, really weird. I'll get the out of your hair now."
Him: "Can I pet them?"
Me: "Uhhh, I really outta be going now, long walk home and I'm short a leash. Been up all night, I'm tired and sort of P.O.ed at the dogs."
Him: "Pretty dogs, hope to see you again."

WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD.

I cannot figure out why or what made the dogs so helllbent on sniffing that dudes yard. The guys reaction to a pair of GSDs investigating his yard and an out of breath grown man schleping about in his front yard was WEIRD.

I am seriously considering asking my niece to stay here at my house a night or two while I am at work too see if anything odd is going on.

BellaLuna 12-09-2013 08:41 PM

Bella did that the other day I was pissed she made me run after her normally she stays close to me and listens very well but not that day.

My hubby had to chase her down with the car after he watched me struggle for about 5 minutes, I wanted to hurt him lol

I think she was looking for diesel he's my neighbors gsd but when she couldn't find him she was like I'm free ha-ha..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Kahrg4 12-10-2013 12:00 AM

Don't suppose either of your dogs are trained in cadaver detection? :eek:;):D

Just kidding! It does seem a bit odd that they knew something was there though...

Kayos and Havoc 12-10-2013 08:54 AM

That is strange. Glad you got the dogs back tho.

Shade 12-10-2013 08:56 AM

I would be really creeped out personally :crazy:

pyratemom 12-10-2013 08:59 AM

Maybe a female in heat had visited that area? I know your female wouldn't care and maybe it was just the feeling of freedom that got them going but anything is possible. Glad you caught up with them.

Lilie 12-10-2013 09:22 AM

I'm in the (continued) process of training a tracking dog. The number one rule that is drilled into your head during tracking is to trust your dog. Trust your dog. Trust your dog. In order to trust your dog, you have to learn to read your dog.

If my dog behaved in the same manner as your dogs did, my very first thought would be that someone from that house was at your house. Their visit had to have been very recent as your dogs were still excited. Because they made a bee-line to a single location and didn't race around and play during their new found freedom, tells me that they were on a mission, they were following a specific scent.

BUT because they didn't react to the person, would make me think that that person wasn't the specific scent they were following. Perhaps he had a dog with him on his visit. Perhaps it was just the dog. Perhaps it was wildlife that was at your house and then wandered straight down to his house.

If it were me...I'd get a game cam and set it up. See what is poking around while you aren't home.

Sp00ks 12-10-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilie (Post 4647201)
I'm in the (continued) process of training a tracking dog. The number one rule that is drilled into your head during tracking is to trust your dog. Trust your dog. Trust your dog. In order to trust your dog, you have to learn to read your dog.

If my dog behaved in the same manner as your dogs did, my very first thought would be that someone from that house was at your house. Their visit had to have been very recent as your dogs were still excited. Because they made a bee-line to a single location and didn't race around and play during their new found freedom, tells me that they were on a mission, they were following a specific scent.

BUT because they didn't react to the person, would make me think that that person wasn't the specific scent they were following. Perhaps he had a dog with him on his visit. Perhaps it was just the dog. Perhaps it was wildlife that was at your house and then wandered straight down to his house.

If it were me...I'd get a game cam and set it up. See what is poking around while you aren't home.

Exactly what I was thinking. I would not have let him pet the dogs either so as not to become familiar. Did the right thing there. Also, i would not be letting my "niece" stay there to see if anything weird happens. (unless she is a Navy seal or something). Trail cam seems like a great idea.

Dog in heat does sound logical though, based on their reactions.

brembo 12-10-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp00ks (Post 4647593)
Exactly what I was thinking. I would not have let him pet the dogs either so as not to become familiar. Did the right thing there. Also, i would not be letting my "niece" stay there to see if anything weird happens. (unless she is a Navy seal or something). Trail cam seems like a great idea.

Dog in heat does sound logical though, based on their reactions.

My niece. Yeah, she is an odd one. 3rd degree black-belt in some Asian hand-to-hand I can't pronounce. Many awards for marksmanship with pistol, rifle and of all things a compound bow. Now a very scary stay-at-home mom with a little time on her hands. She'd get a kick out of a little stake-out action I'd think.

Lillie-

Allie, my young one, was doing the same excited sniffing routine as Cable, my male. I don't think it was chasing a female in heat. They were criss-crossing the front yard and when I got a hold of them they both sorta pulled towards the porch. I didn't go that way, when I scruffed Allie and had Cable on a make-shift lead I kneeled down and spoke softly and rubbed them both for a few seconds and their attention was towards the house/porch. My mind was racing, a combo of relief for having caught them and wondering what the heck caused the bolt. On a mission is putting it lightly, they both were in full gallop, tail straight, head low and pumping their legs as hard as they could. When they reached the yard it was full stop and nose down, full concentration on whatever they scented.

Can't call the cops, what would I say? "Oh, hi. Yes my dogs ran off and smelled something funny in someones yard". A K-9 cop might think it was interesting but again, I can't call em up and ask for the Canine Unit, they'd send the rubber-walled paddy wagon out for ME.

*sigh* Going to Lowes and getting some motion-lights I guess.

Suka 12-12-2013 11:24 AM

My first thought was a jokey "body in yard" too. :D Seriously though I would have just asked him!