German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Stories (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/)
-   -   For the first time since Dax came home... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/stories/375713-first-time-since-dax-came-home.html)

KZoppa 12-03-2013 09:32 PM

For the first time since Dax came home...

We got that look. You know the one. Forgetting you exist because they're too busy watching the dog to make sure they're not going to get eaten. Took Dax with me out to Checker's this afternoon before picking up the kids from the bus. I wanted some fries! Dax was in the backseat, window down halfway in the truck. Total angel. Absolutely perfect. No barking, not a peep. Didn't even stick more than his nose out the window the whole time.

The freaking cashier gave me the dirtiest look. I mean I haven't had a dirty look like that thrown my way in a very long time and I've been known to tick a few people off pretty good. Even when she wasn't having to reach out of the building, she was watching him. He was sitting in the backseat with the 'di da di' attitude going on.

The cashier kept the dirty look on her face the whole time and any time she had to reach toward the truck to give me something or give me my card back, she's reaching as far as she can to the front of the truck. At one point, she reached so far forward, she was trying to pass my drink to me through my windshield. Yeah.... it was bad.

I guess we've reached that point where Dax is with the big dogs now.

I wonder how dirty the looks would be if I rolled up with BOTH dogs in the backseat. Big black Tundra with two German Shepherds in the backseat waiting for some French fries noses out the window. . .

I mean... does THIS look like the face of a vicious dog to you? A man-eater?

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...90979290_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...88531093_n.jpg

On second thought.... if I were a bubble, I'd be terrified!

But seriously...

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...08769093_n.jpg

I think I may take both dogs back tomorrow.... just for kicks. Because darnit! I'm gonna fully earn that dirty look! :wild:

Baillif 12-03-2013 09:41 PM

Yup there is a not so subtle transition from "oh he's soooooooo cute can I pet him?" To "is he people aggressive? he doesn't bite does he?"

DaniFani 12-03-2013 09:42 PM

Maybe she'd been bit horribly by a dog...or maybe her "dirty look" wasn't a dirty look at all...people like you make me roll my eyes...yep...take your big bad dogs back to McDonalds to get your double size and show off to the "terrified" cashier...whatever gets your rocks off....lol

Maybe it would have been better to strike up a conversation about the dog...something like, "oh he looks way scarier than he is...don't worry."....But nope...just bask is the glory and go back with two to make it even better...

Twyla 12-03-2013 09:43 PM

It may be time for counter-conditioning for the cashier.

boomer11 12-03-2013 09:54 PM

haahah i LOVE going through the drive thru. especially when i take the 2 door car and my hand and his face are in the same window. i like watching their range of reactions from very scared to trying to grab your dog out the car to take home with them. once i had a lady tell her coworker to give me my food because she didnt wanna do it. when they are scared i always try to get them to pet him and some do/some dont. every time we go to grandys they always give him fried chicken liver so every time we go to any drive thru he is hopeful he'll get a treat but no one gives anything except grandys. sometimes they'll give me a whole bag.

DaniFani 12-03-2013 09:58 PM

Sorry, my post didn't contribute much and was more as a rant...I just look at situations like what you described (if she was actually afraid) as an opportunity to educate and try and un-sully the GSD name. I would have said something like, "oh he's really friendly. I have children in my family, he is best buds with them...German Shepherds aren't crazy biting machines, and neither is he." I used to do this at the park all the time.

I had a rottie with me one time at the park, and a little girl (7/8 years old) came over and asked if the dog was friendly. I said, "absolutely, you can pet her if you like." She sat there for ten minutes petting the dog. Afterwords she said, "ya know...everyone says these kinds of dogs are really REALLY mean....I guess they are really REALLY wrong!!" I told her she should always ask permission to pet any dog, like she did....and it made my day. I don't want people to think the breed is some manic biting crazed nutcase....That's how breed bans and housing banned breed lists come to fruition. I hate it when people tend to bask in the glow of people being terrified of their (fill in the blank) dog....pitbull, rottie, dobie, GSD....it does a dis-service to the breed...and your OP drips with sarcasm, pride, and even the thought of going back and "earning" that look....gross OP....gross....

KZoppa 12-03-2013 09:59 PM

Dani, I'm a regular customer there. I see this woman all the time. The dirty look was not normal.

Like I said, I have been known to tick a few people off before.

If you knew ANYTHING about me, you'd know I don't view my dogs as "big bad dogs". Yes, I have them for a reason besides the fact I love them. They're not a status symbol for me. And while I'm at it, she's seen Shasta before. Never reacted that way to her and she's got a good 20lbs on Dax currently.

People like me. You don't know me. I'm not as much of a jerk as you seem to think I am. It's a joke. This prejudice is something we deal with having the breed we have. If we don't joke about it, we'll spend an awful lot of time ticked off about other peoples ignorance.

Admittedly, I like animals more than most people but I'm not going to intentionally scare someone. Now if they're acting like a freaking idiot about it, I'm sorry but I have no sympathy. When MY dog(s) are sitting calmly and quietly in MY vehicle not acting like fools like I've seen a lot do, THAT should be a clue to people that maybe the dog is under control.

Dare I even tell you about the woman in Petsmart who started screaming like a bloody banshee simply because Shasta and I walked in? Or how about the fact she practically climbed onto a total strangers shoulders still screaming even though we were on the other side of the store? NO sympathy for people who act like fools about things like that. I understand fear but to behave that ridiculously over us simply coming into the store was beyond overkill.

ETA: I do obedience training. I'm not a fan of Akita's. Those dogs scare the heck out of me. I've been bitten by a great dane. I've had rottweilers come at me full charge, slobber and teeth all you can see, etc. I educate when I'm approached. Otherwise, far as I'm concerned, they want to view my dogs as scary biting beasts, they don't need to know they're really wimps who would welcome you in the door with a tail wag and a "wheres my treat?" sniff down. For me, that's one less person I'm concerned about deciding to follow me home. After my husband being at a week of training and someone breaking in through my backdoor after I'd put my 6 month old daughter to bed for the night, no, I'm less than trusting with that experience tacked onto many other. I'll work on the breed image when I'm not starving and making bad food choices.

Yes, I'm touchy. I apologize.

DaniFani 12-03-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomer11 (Post 4608105)
haahah i LOVE going through the drive thru. especially when i take the 2 door car and my hand and his face are in the same window. i like watching their range of reactions from very scared to trying to grab your dog out the car to take home with them. once i had a lady tell her coworker to give me my food because she didnt wanna do it. when they are scared i always try to get them to pet him and some do/some dont. every time we go to grandys they always give him fried chicken liver so every time we go to any drive thru he is hopeful he'll get a treat but no one gives anything except grandys. sometimes they'll give me a whole bag.

This! I love it when people try and convert people that are scared of a breed, into liking the breed! My husband was horribly attacked by two GSD's when he was four (has scars on one side of his face)....I am so happy he was open to changing his views on the breed....

DaniFani 12-03-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KZoppa (Post 4608169)
Dani, I'm a regular customer there. I see this woman all the time. The dirty look was not normal.

If you knew ANYTHING about me, you'd know I don't view my dogs as "big bad dogs". Yes, I have them for a reason besides the fact I love them. They're not a status symbol for me. And while I'm at it, she's seen Shasta before. Never reacted that way to her and she's got a good 20lbs on Dax currently.

People like me. You don't know me. I'm not as much of a jerk as you seem to think I am. It's a joke. This prejudice is something we deal with having the breed we have. If we don't joke about it, we'll spend an awful lot of time ticked off about other peoples ignorance.

Admittedly, I like animals more than most people but I'm not going to intentionally scare someone. Now if they're acting like a freaking idiot about it, I'm sorry but I have no sympathy. When MY dog(s) are sitting calmly and quietly in MY vehicle not acting like fools like I've seen a lot do, THAT should be a clue to people that maybe the dog is under control.

Dare I even tell you about the woman in Petsmart who started screaming like a bloody banshee simply because Shasta and I walked in? Or how about the fact she practically climbed onto a total strangers shoulders still screaming even though we were on the other side of the store? NO sympathy for people who act like fools about things like that. I understand fear but to behave that ridiculously over us simply coming into the store was beyond overkill.

You're telling me that your initial OP was one of complete humble attitude? You have no idea why she gave the look she did, you selfishly decided it had everything to do with YOU. SO what people are scared, they have every right to be...there are LOTS of out of control dogs in this country, and most people have stories of being bitten as a child...There is a reason most insurances won't cover you if you have our breed and most housing won't allow our breed....I guess I'm just one that tries to look deeper than the initial reaction and give people the benefit of the doubt. You can tell me all you want that you aren't the type that enjoys this type of reactions...but your entire OP and the comment about going back and "Earning" the look, right down to your signature about liking dogs more than people...well...it contradicts your entire "humble persona" that you just described...whatever...to each their own I guess. :rolleyes:

DaniFani 12-03-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KZoppa (Post 4608169)

ETA: I do obedience training. I'm not a fan of Akita's. Those dogs scare the heck out of me. I've been bitten by a great dane. I've had rottweilers come at me full charge, slobber and teeth all you can see, etc. I educate when I'm approached. Otherwise, far as I'm concerned, they want to view my dogs as scary biting beasts, they don't need to know they're really wimps who would welcome you in the door with a tail wag and a "wheres my treat?" sniff down. For me, that's one less person I'm concerned about deciding to follow me home. After my husband being at a week of training and someone breaking in through my backdoor after I'd put my 6 month old daughter to bed for the night, no, I'm less than trusting with that experience tacked onto many other. I'll work on the breed image when I'm not starving and making bad food choices.

Yes, I'm touchy. I apologize.

I'm sorry those things happened to you....I've had someone try and break down my front door while they were trying to run away from a domestic dispute and I'm holding my nine week old sobbing son, while on the phone with police...see...we all have a good scary sob story...but it has nothing to do with enjoying scaring a cashier and "coming back with both to earn the look." Good lord...bring on the dramatics....