It can happen even if you are careful - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default It can happen even if you are careful

This morning I was returning from the post office, our normal morning walk, and just as I got to my corner a little girl who lives across the street from us came around the corner with their little mixed breed small poodle sized dog on a long leash. The dogs met face to face before I could even move. Raina was on a short leash because we usually stop at the corner to look for traffic but the fact that the little dog was on a long leash allowed it to walk right into Raina's face.

I was surprised by the little dog as I did not see it coming. I reacted quickly, throwing my mail on the ground and using both hands to separate the dogs which at this point, meant getting Raina to drop the little dog out of her mouth. The mom came out and looked over the little dog, who I found out is named Cookie, and told me he was okay. I brought Raina home and then went back to their house to make sure. I told them if there was any problem with Cookie let me know and she told me not to worry she was sure Cookie was okay just shaken up.

The dad came over a little bit ago to tell me he had taken Cookie to the vet to check over. They found a bite mark by his penis (ouch) but said that it wasn't serious, did not require stitches and he would be fine. Now that I know Cookie will be okay I'm glad and I did offer to pay the vet bill but the Dad said it wasn't necessary as there was nothing wrong with the dog.

My point in all this is that even when you are careful things can happen. I try to watch like a hawk for little dogs on long lines because I know this is a trigger for Raina - the long lines make her think the dog is loose. I'm really upset the little girl had to see this, but I do hope it makes her more aware when she is walking their dog as I have seen her walk it down the middle of the road. I don't blame her -she is a little girl about 7 or 8. I apologized to her father if she was scared and told him I have a daughter and wouldn't want her to have to witness such a thing. He was understanding and we are good neighbors still but this really shook me up. My dog was on a leash and I still could not stop the little dog from basically running into her mouth. I don't know what I could have done to stop it from happening. I know it must have been horrifying for the little girl.

I'm just shook up a little knowing how much worse it could have been if Raina wasn't on a short leash and they really had a chance to go at it. Please, everyone, expect the unexpected when out walking. I never once thought this would happen as I thought I was always careful.

Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
pyratemom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have issue with children walking dogs without adult supervision. Even little dogs need a firm hand and need to be controlled at all times. Kids mean well, but their minds are not primed for such non-stop responsibility. By all means let a child walk a dog, but that lead better be within a seconds reach, again this is my opinion. Kids always wanted to walk Banjo, and he was a SAINT on lead. Tractable and it was infrequent when any tension was on the lead(I spoiled him with a flexi so he could could go bush-diving for good smells). However a 90 pound GSD attached to a 80 pound kid can be the makings for a whole heap of trouble. I let kids hold the lead and made sure I shadowed the kid, Banjo knew the score and I never had issue, but I was within quick grabbing distance at any given moment.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You ARE careful. We just can't cover every base every day. Crap happens.

I can attest that humans (me in the case that follows) don't always have their wits about them in cases of the unexpected -- However, This is where "Leave It!" comes in handy. One morning several years ago I was walking the late Barker Sisters. I think it was a larger yorkie that came running up off lead barking. Square in Barker the Younger's face. She picked it up and shook it - Once I remembered the phrase "Leave It!" she dropped him. (see above reference to humans not having their wits about them at all times - "No!" was meaningless in this case - "Leave It!" was the meaningful phrase.) His bathrobed human complete with flip-flops chastised her dog for his lack of sense. I thought she needed the chastisment for lack of sense. However, all was well as far as outcomes of this encounter went. With the exception that Barker the Younger couldn't understand really why she did not get praised for dropping the dog because she had done good indeed yet I was upset.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sorry you had this experience but thankfully there was no physical damage that needed treatment. I think you handled this with grace and empathy. I agree there is no way tp predict what will happen and sometimes the unforseen appears around the corner.Glad everybody is OK.I have to agree / Brembo about children and dogs and Ill add long leads. I have had too many close calls w/ Lucky and a few agressive small dog on what appeared to be 10 ft leads. Teri you were a great ambassador for GSD parents/owners everywhere.

Lucky- GSD Rescue 2/16/2002
Thunder from the East: adopted 1/25/2013
Miss Chevy Cruz - adopted 1/25/2013
Daisy&Lucky's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Truly scarey. I'm glad everything turned out well. Might be an experiance the little girl will remember for the rest of her life. That memory might save this dog's or another dog's life.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
You ARE careful. We just can't cover every base every day. Crap happens.

I can attest that humans (me in the case that follows) don't always have their wits about them in cases of the unexpected -- However, This is where "Leave It!" comes in handy. One morning several years ago I was walking the late Barker Sisters. I think it was a larger yorkie that came running up off lead barking. Square in Barker the Younger's face. She picked it up and shook it - Once I remembered the phrase "Leave It!" she dropped him. (see above reference to humans not having their wits about them at all times - "No!" was meaningless in this case - "Leave It!" was the meaningful phrase.) His bathrobed human complete with flip-flops chastised her dog for his lack of sense. I thought she needed the chastisment for lack of sense. However, all was well as far as outcomes of this encounter went. With the exception that Barker the Younger couldn't understand really why she did not get praised for dropping the dog because she had done good indeed yet I was upset.
Thank you, and I did use the Leave It! command which probably helped me get her on time before she could really hurt the little dog. I guess we have to live in the world with all kinds but I'm just kicking myself for not seeing it coming sooner. No I don't have ex-ray vision and couldn't see through the giant century plant the little dog was behind but still kicking myself.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy&Lucky's Mom View Post
Sorry you had this experience but thankfully there was no physical damage that needed treatment. I think you handled this with grace and empathy. I agree there is no way tp predict what will happen and sometimes the unforseen appears around the corner.Glad everybody is OK.I have to agree / Brembo about children and dogs and Ill add long leads. I have had too many close calls w/ Lucky and a few agressive small dog on what appeared to be 10 ft leads. Teri you were a great ambassador for GSD parents/owners everywhere.
Thank you but I just wish these things didn't have to happen at all. My husband had spoken to the Dad at some earlier point that he should watch his daughter when she walks the dog because he saw her in the middle of the road as well and didn't want her to get hurt.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sorry it happened, but glad there was no serious injury. I'm not sure it would help in your situation, but I switch sides frequently when we walk. When I approach a blind left turn, I put my dog on the right to keep me positioned in between whatever may be coming the other way. I'm hearing impaired so maybe I'm just a bit more paranoid about it, IDK. I'm sure the kid will be fine, they are pretty resilient, sounds like she has good parents.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

if your dog has severe dog aggression issues i'd just muzzle him during walks. easy solution. doesnt matter how unexpected it is or if the dog is leashed or unleashed, dont even give your dog an opportunity to bite.
boomer11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Use a basket muzzle when you walk. There will be less stress on everyone, and no little child will need to see their dog being pulled from another dog's mouth.

Personally, I think it is up to the owners of aggressive dogs, to manage them, and not to ensure every child is accompanied by an adult regardless to how their dog behaves.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.