Oh, rural life and the idiots involved. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Oh, rural life and the idiots involved.

Last few weeks have been interesting.

Someone called animal control on me the 18th of october. For an 'animal welfare check". A/C Shows up, looks around and gripes some about not having a dog house. I stand there with my jaw scraping the ground. I slowly point to the doggie door the A/C officer is standing not 5 feet from and say "well, actually the dogs have a 1200 square foot house with running water and climate control. They also have a queen sized bed they seem to think they own." Grudgingly the officer(s) allow that in fact a dog house would be sort of silly.

Someone called A/C on me the 24th of october. This time is seems I had the dogs tied out in the backyard with no food or water. Yeah. I do that all the time. I spent 2800 bucks on a concreted chain-link fence and chopped up my backdoor with a doggie flap to TIE THEM UP IN THE YARD. Officer came by while I was at the store. When I get home only one dog greets me. Odd, and worrisome. I call Allie(9 month old female bi-color GSD), nothing. So, I begin to gather items for a walk-about to find her. When I go down to my basement, I find a doorknob flier thingy from A/C stating they had been by. I called immediately and get the office officer(I guess, dunno what she does exactly). I ask very patiently and considering how worried I was calmly if something had happened to Allie. She didn't know and said she'd have the mobile officer that visited my house call me.

I waited an hour. I called back. "Oh yeah, the officer has your dog". I very calmly stated that when I arrived at the shelter there better be a smallish GSD there named Allie no worse for the wear waiting on me. I took my knives off, I took my gun belt off and made sure I didn't have anything capable of breaking the skin on my person, I wasn't sure how upset i was going to get with the officer(s). Then I called a friend and had them come pick me up. My friend knew I was beyond livid, I had crossed over into grim.

I arrived at the shelter, calm and determined. Allie was there, officer that "collected" her was "not available". Fine. Gimmie my dog. 32 bucks. Fine. Gimmie my dog. The report says she wasn't wearing a collar. Yeah, she was in a fenced yard on private property. Gimmie my dog. Report says she was tied up. No, she wasn't. Gimmie my dog. Report says she has no rabies tag. Yes she does(show tag). Gimmie my dog. They gave me Allie. I put her in the truck and went back in.

I got to see the report. Saw a name on the reports. I spent 16 years doing research for surveying, I know how to find people/property. I pulled up the GIS images for the person on the phone. These people are over 1000 feet away. To see the area that the dogs were allegedly tied up in one would HAVE to trespass on either my property of my neighbor's property. I explained that, and asked that if another call to A/C was made to PLEASE call me ahead of time. I also explained that if A/C decided to just up and snatch one of my dogs again I would make an unholy stink. The words "improper search and seizure" make LEOs twitch.

I'm still debating calling an attorney to see if I need to do anything. Trespassing(unlikely, as the call was false), harassment, and fibbing to a LEO are what I would have as my ammo. I don't want to do much as my dogs are the ones likely to suffer the fallout.

What really has me scratching my head is I don't know these folks from Adam AND they can't even see my house. A not-smallish hill blocks the view and funnels any sound the dogs might make away from their property. I dunno, it's worrisome and it's making me angry.
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Caitlin

I'm confused. Did AC grab your dog from the yard or did they actually come into your home? If they took the dog from your property my next question is, do you leave everything unlocked? How did they get in?

Regardless, I don't know how you stayed so calm. I would have flipped out!
Kokoro - Rescue Kitty #1 - 2/3/08
Rhaegar - Rescue Kitty #2 - 5/18/13

Mali - Long Coat GSD - 10/14/03 - 10/28/13

caitlindwarf
Caitlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
I'm confused. Did AC grab your dog from the yard or did they actually come into your home? If they took the dog from your property my next question is, do you leave everything unlocked? How did they get in?

Regardless, I don't know how you stayed so calm. I would have flipped out!
Doggie door. My dogs have run of the house and the fenced area 24/7, 365. I occasionally block access to the yard during rainy weather to stave off muddy paw prints.

My house has never been locked. I don't even have a key...well....I probably do but have no clue where it is.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brembo View Post
Doggie door. My dogs have run of the house and the fenced area 24/7, 365. I occasionally block access to the yard during rainy weather to stave off muddy paw prints.

My house has never been locked. I don't even have a key...well....I probably do but have no clue where it is.
You must live in a really safe area. I can't even leave the door unlocked when I'm home, much less when I'm not home!

Personally, I would not allow the dogs to be outside while you're gone, and I would close that doggie door, as well as keep the house and yard locked securely. At the very least until the whole situation blows over with AC. I have heard horror stories of officers and others responding to calls only to have dogs (normally friendly dogs trying to say hello) run at them and the officers end up shooting and killing them.

caitlindwarf
Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would call an attorney, find out your rights and the laws and rights AC violated and put them in their place. You probably won't get anything out of it other than to be left alone, but maybe your action will make AC change their policies and prevent this from happening to someone else.

I would be furious!! We live in a densely populated area, and my husband thinks moving to a more rural will cure our woes. I'll tell him that people are jerks everywhere.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Yikes! Given that they came out the first time and the practically made a fool of themselves with the doggie door/dog house part it's surprising they went and took her out of the yard the second time around.
KathrynApril is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Eh, A/C was doing their job and puller a boner. I can live with that. It's the jerk of a neighbor that has my hackles up. I can't keep the mutts locked up in the house, I work 12 hour shifts. The fenced area is only 3/4ers of an acre, my total property is over 4 acres and as such the lot has a huge buffer around it, 100 feet in most places.

My reputation being what it is(gun toting libertarian) maybe just making said neighbor aware that I know who is messing with me would deter any further incidents.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
My reputation being what it is(gun toting libertarian) maybe just making said neighbor aware that I know who is messing with me would deter any further incidents.
Hopefully. I do not understand on what grounds AC can come in and take the dog though. Pretty ridiculous.

caitlindwarf
Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't understand people. Unless there's an issue, why waste your energy causing problems for other people? I'm not getting why this person felt it necessary to not mind their own business.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
WateryTart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Eh, A/C was doing their job and puller a boner.

It's still odd that they would go and pull the dog after seeing everything was fine the first time around. Either way hope this sort of stuff doesn't continue to happen to you. What a snotty neighbor!

Last edited by KathrynApril; 11-03-2013 at 11:45 PM.
KathrynApril is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.