German Shepherds Forum banner

yep,, dropped a few "f-bombs" and then some!!

6K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  Shaolin 
#1 · (Edited)
Typical story... I was pushing a wheel barrel through the gate and the dogs made a run for it.... with four dogs already a block away before you could blink,, I grabbed my truck keys and took off after them. They were right around the corner in a yard with a lady standing there...fyi, my four dogs are two lhasa apsos, a six month old GSD and a two month old Goldendoodle...not an aggressive bone in any of them.....
I hop out of the truck and start to thank her and apologize.... she starts screaming at me, yelling, "ARE THESE YOUR DOGS!?! THEY ATTACKED MY DAUGHTER!!!"
I said, "Attacked? There's no way my dogs attacked anyone... they would never...." Then she said, "well they scared her"
:bump:Then the dad comes out yelling at me... threatening to call the police...
I snap!! I go blackout angry on him..... understanding the implications of an accusation of a dog attacking a little girl and knowing this didn't happen... I went off on this guy... it's the closest I've come to smashing someone in the mouth in 15 years... I told him to call whoever he wants, started cussing him up and down.... All the while, I was gathering up the dogs and throwing them in my backseat.... he called the police and i heard him say his daughter had just been attacked by dogs!!!
Long story short... I drove off and the police never came.... I live a block and a half from this turdbucket and his house is on our regular walking route.... don't threaten a man's family! Yes!! My dogs are part of my Family!! I'm just real happy he never came within arms reach....lol :bump:

See less See more
#2 ·
Not a good situation for you. Even if they jumped in excitement on the kid, you risked having your dogs deemed dangerous. Then you would have to deal with the consequences of that. Police don't care about dogs, and people are very emotional and short fused when it comes to their children.

You need to teach a solid recall, and have your dogs do a down stay when you open the gate.

#7 ·
I was leaning towards that until the dad came out... he was red hot and acted like he was going to charge me before he sized me up... it was a tense situation... i definitely could have handled it better

#5 ·
I'd love to see a 6 month old GSD and an 8 week doodle doing a down stay... and really would be amazed with a recall!

#8 ·
You have to figure they had some adrenalin going. I would apologize profusely and have better control of your dogs. Consider it a wakeup call!

You know your dogs are not aggressive - they did not -their kid is more imporant to them than your dogs. How do you know they did not knock her down in play? What if that had been an older person - I have bone spurs in both shins from being run into by my own dogs.

#10 · (Edited)
I get all that,,, but to say "Attacked!" then admit that the daughter was only scared and still call the police saying "Attacked!" Oh **** no!!! Call me a bad owner,,, yell at me about controlling my dogs... say anything you want about me,,, but be honest,,,, don't lie to make it sound worse!!! That's when I snapped and no longer felt the need to be apologetic!!!

#11 ·
Please keep those dogs safe. If they can't be out when people are coming and going then put them in the house. I would hate to see anything happen to any of them:(

#13 ·
I scanned your post and then read some responses and then went back and read it again because, um, what kind of weirdos come unglued about llasas, a Doodle puppy and a GSD pup? Four GSDs, rotties, Dobies come running into my yard, yeah, I'm going to be startled. But, no offense, were talking two little mops and the goofiest dog on the planet (Doodle) as 3/4s of this scary dog pack? :D:D:D

I'd be more scared of a pack of cats.

Still, yeah, be careful. You have crazy neighbors. Gosh, where I grew up nobody ever called anybody about a neighbors dog unless there was dead livestock or blood going on.

#49 ·
... what kind of weirdos come unglued about llasas, a Doodle puppy and a GSD pup?
I would be one of those "weirdos" if this had happened when my niece was around. She has Down Syndrome and is TERRIFIED of barking or running dogs. I don't mean just scared of - I mean absolute, mind-numbing TERROR.

Why should she (or anyone else) be subjected to someones untrained dog(s)??

#14 ·
If you have your hands full with a wheel barrow, put your dogs away first. The bigger ones are not old enough to be reliable 100% of the time, and I don't know about the little ones.

I know you're angry with their response, but it really is entirely your fault. Your dogs got out, and they could have been killed or worse. Little dogs can bite. And 6 month old GSDs seem pretty big to people. If you anger people, your dogs may suffer from what they may say about them or do. I don't thing slinging F-bombs would be how I would've handled it. Remember that that guy felt his family threatened as well.

If you have 4 dogs running at large do you get 4 tickets?

Some children are terrified of dogs. I think the situation escalated when you heard attacked, and that was demoted to scared. Then you were furious because the two are different. They are not that different though, considering the dogs were in their yard and perfectly capable of attacking.

#15 ·
Weren't you just posting less than a month ago about your fence blowing down and animal control picking up at least some of your dogs?

Control your dogs, man. You should be cussing yourself out, not your neighbors who have the right to not have strange dogs OF ANY TEMPERAMENT, AGE OR BREED/MIX run up on them.

You are the human. It is your job to not let this happen. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but you need to step up your game. Take responsibility. If you can't control the dogs, train them. If you don't have the time or the money to train them ALL, even the Lhasas, you shouldn't have them.
Sheilah

#18 ·
This.
Be glad you didn't (yet) get another $300-400 ticket.
If it was me and some guy was cussing me out in my yard because HIS dogs came running into it and knocked my kid down (or bit the child, you don't know if you didn't examine her/him), there'd be freaking **** to pay.

#17 ·
Although I wouldn't be cursing at my neighbors and I would have handled this differently, I'd also feel extremely angry too if they used the word 'attacked' and lied to the police about my dogs attacking their daughter when they just scared her. 'Attacked' is not at all synonymous with 'scared'. They don't understand that using that word can be a death sentence to a dog, or in this case 2 dogs and 2 puppies.

And who calls the police on someone if their dogs didn't cause injury and they have already picked up their dogs and left in the span of a few minutes? What is the point of that? They are wasting the police's time.

#19 ·
I understand your anger at people lying about what happened. It's a pet peeve of mine! I probably also would have called them out on that... and been angry. However... keep in mind that your dogs have recently been picked up. You have GOT to be extra careful from now on! If you still don't have a secure fence, you need to get one. If you have to open the gate for any reason, your dogs need to be inside. If they lie to the police, the police will most likely take their word over yours because you already had an infraction and there was a GSD involved. Age doesn't matter. The GSD is going to take the hit every time... even if it did nothing wrong. It's just a fact of life.

#20 ·
Let me say some people can be very ugly, and I have never had a run in with the law over my dogs, but I do have a crappy neighbor. My neighbors lab/bull mix (her boyfriends dog) was trying to take our cat down one day when me and my daughter were pulling out, I told my daughter to get the cat before their dog caught it then his dog went after my daughter. For over six months now, three times a week this man stands over there and yells and says bad things to me (I ignore him). Last week I had it and got my husband.

#22 ·
Typical story... I was pushing a wheel barrel through the gate and the dogs made a run for it.... with four dogs already a block away before you could blink,, I grabbed my truck keys and took off after them. They were right around the corner in a yard with a lady standing there...fyi, my four dogs are two lhasa apsos, a six month old GSD and a two month old Goldendoodle...not an aggressive bone in any of them.....
I hop out of the truck and start to thank her and apologize.... she starts screaming at me, yelling, "ARE THESE YOUR DOGS!?! THEY ATTACKED MY DAUGHTER!!!"
I said, "Attacked? There's no way my dogs attacked anyone... they would never...." Then she said, "well they scared her"
:bump:Then the dad comes out yelling at me... threatening to call the police...
I snap!! I go blackout angry on him..... understanding the implications of an accusation of a dog attacking a little girl and knowing this didn't happen... I went off on this guy... it's the closest I've come to smashing someone in the mouth in 15 years... I told him to call whoever he wants, started cussing him up and down.... All the while, I was gathering up the dogs and throwing them in my backseat.... he called the police and i heard him say his daughter had just been attacked by dogs!!!
Long story short... I drove off and the police never came.... I live a block and a half from this turdbucket and his house is on our regular walking route.... don't threaten a man's family! Yes!! My dogs are part of my Family!! I'm just real happy he never came within arms reach....lol :bump:
So lets see, you have four dogs that are evidently totally out of your control.

They all go running into someone elses yard and at the very least go running up to and maybe jump on a little girl!

And now YOU are angry at the parent of the girl!!!!!! HMMMMM!

Somehoe this story thing seems like a tale from Bizzarro World!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 ·
the dogs made a run for it.... with four dogs already a block away before you could blink,, I grabbed my truck keys and took off after them. They were right around the corner in a yard with a lady standing there...fyi, my four dogs are two lhasa apsos, a six month old GSD and a two month old Goldendoodle...not an aggressive bone in any of them.....

-------- four dogs bolting , running as a pack , sure don't seem to have any connection to you , just a pack of dogs .
they didn't just exit the yard and hang around investigating the other side , and I am sure that you yelled and tried them to come back - but they blew you off and ran for the next county, ran so fast that a blink of an eye later they were far enough to need the truck , probably with no thought of stop running .
You are lucky you got off as freely as you did . The dogs could have been hit by a car , rushed by an aggressive dog, met with a dog on that property , shot . At least the guy called authorities instead of taking things in to his own hands.

Beyond all that this you are missing out on a good relationship with the dogs. The pets have pets . You provide , feed and clean .
Want to see how much more rewarding it can get . Then at least take the two youngest additions and start giving them time away from the "pack" . Develop one on one connection. TRAIN them .

#27 ·
Picture this:

You are not a dog person. You have an inbuilt weariness due to lack of understanding. Your daughter is playing in the front garden when suddenly a group of four dogs that you don't know anything about, in that spilt second they could be strays come bounding over barking and jumping excitedly. You don't know dogs, for all you know the barks and jumping could be outright aggression. they descend on your daughter and in that split second your life flashes before your eyes, you can see her getting ripped apart, her beautiful face scarred for life....then suddenly the dogs all stop and don't touch her.

How do you feel in that situation? Suddenly relieved enough to instantly laugh it off, maybe grab a tea towel and start a game of tug? OR Scared, angry, upset, mad? Mad enough to try and convey how you felt when they came running over? For all they knew your dogs were aggressive and looking for blood. They scared them witless and it is your fault.

They thought for a few seconds that your dogs were attacking and to convey how scary that was they have to describe the dogs coming as an attack.

I'm sorry but I don't think you come out of this story well. If you are chasing your dogs around the neighbourhood in the car there is a problem. These poor people did nothing to invite this trouble, they first got scared to death by the dogs then shouted an sworn at in front of their daughter by you.

#34 ·
I was thinking about this too. But first you have to view dogs as...dogs. Imagine that.
We had a dog that rushed the door and would bolt, and we installed a baby gate across just in front of it so we could step out, close the gate, then open the door.
If you realize that dogs will be dogs, and a pack is even worse, and they are notorious for making mischief...especially untrained dogs, then you start doing things to prevent accidents like this. You get real creative, step up, and be a responsible owner.
To the OP, your concern over your dog's ears standing seems trivial when taken in perspective...running loose, as others said, he could have been run over, or even shot and killed. Kinda makes the ear thing seem pointless, pretty ears on a dead dog?

#29 ·
To the OP... Take a deep breath and relax..

Thankfully no one was injured.. Take it as a lesson learned, move forward and do the best you can to prevent it from ever happening again.. :)

#33 ·
*^@# happens. I can fully understand the parents outrage. And I can also understand your anger. In the end, it is your dogs that would pay the price.

#35 · (Edited)
Quite frankly, I don't blame the parents for being scared and upset. It's frightening to be charged by a swarm of dogs, or even one dog. I live in a neighborhood where there are lots of loose dogs, in spite of a leash law. Some of them are fine, and will ignore you. Some of them would rather eat you.

Ilka, my mutt, darn near bit the mail carrier one day. She was in the house, and I had the main door open, but the storm door shut, waiting for the school bus. When he stepped on the porch, she came charging from the back of the house, hit the storm door, and was outside before we could even try to catch her. He pepper-sprayed her. (Good for him. He was in the right, Ilka was in the wrong.) After I got her back in the house, we made sure the mail carrier was okay, and gave him a profuse apology. The very next day, I went and got a new, more secure latch, latch for the storm door.

Several years ago, I stepped outside one day, only to find my (then) neighbor's Rottie and Great Dane/Rottie mix were loose. The one thought that flashed through my mind when they ran at me was "I sure hope they remember they like me". Thankfuly, they did remember, but I was shaking like a leaf. And these were dogs I knew.

#41 ·
My question is...how do you know they lied?? Did OP state he examined the child and found no abrasions or bites?
In many states, knocking a person over can justify a "potentially dangerous dog" charge.
Especially if said person is injured.
Even "approaching in an apparent attitude of attack" can warrant that same charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.