Gsd getting a bad name? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #31 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Ale & Renzo Send a message via Skype™ to Ale & Renzo

I had a weak nerved, shy, aggressive GSD; sadly he passed away from "something" at 2 years (died of hepatitis, but that was a side effect from drugs, he had a bizarre never seen condition, we took him to the vet faculty and he got treated by the best docs in the country, but no luck).

He was a poorly chosen pup though (my mom got it, it was a gift from the breeder and she chose the shy one because he was the cutest)

Anyway, i'd like to believe it wasn't entirely my fault. Ive had another GSD when i was little, a briard, a cocker spaniel -worst dog EVER temperament wise if you ask me- and a couple (more like ten, since my uncle was a breeder) of dogo argentino (Dogo Argentino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

So, as far as i'm concerned, there IS a genetic component to it!
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #32 (permalink)
Banned

[QUOTE=Ale & Renzo;2932330]I had a weak nerved, shy, aggressive GSD; sadly he passed away from "something" at 2 years (died of hepatitis, but that was a side effect from drugs, he had a bizarre never seen condition, we took him to the vet faculty and he got treated by the best docs in the country, but no luck).

He was a poorly chosen pup though (my mom got it, it was a gift from the breeder and she chose the shy one because he was the cutest)

Anyway, i'd like to believe it wasn't entirely my fault. Ive had another GSD when i was little, a briard, a cocker spaniel -worst dog EVER temperament wise if you ask me- and a couple (more like ten, since my uncle was a breeder) of dogo argentino (Dogo Argentino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

So, as far as i'm concerned, there IS a genetic component to it![/QUOTE]

Absolutely!

Genetics are the raw material while the environment shapes the raw material!
codmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

Jag: OK let my explain my way of thinking there are sick dogs with chemical imbalances and that are breed poorly which is neither the dogs fault or owners and yes I have a quite a few this pic here was my more recent 1 he was my heart the love of my life but was just not right and we tried to resolve he's issues but failed in the process as we failed him we had to put him down right after x-mas and I'm still heart broken with his absence so yes I do know it feels .Blade had a little bit of by polar dis order and everyday we didn't know what dog we were going to get. We couldn't have friends over b/c 1 day he was OK and the next day he would full on try to attack it got so bad with him to the point he would turn on me and my hubby mind you I have 3 small children and couldn't risk them with him..But then there are dogs that have no manners and run wild and there owners sit by and then say I don't know why my dog is like that and really it's them not the dog thus you have bad owners sorry if I'm all over the place and not explaining myself as good I'm trying to multi task feeding a baby and typing is quite complicated lol so I lose my train of thought..

Last edited by BellaLuna; 02-10-2013 at 06:24 PM.
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #34 (permalink)
Banned

It's something that can be found in just about any breed. However, people are less likely to report they got bit by the neighbor's teacup chihuahua, than they are a German Shepherd.
German Shepherds, at one point, at least in my area, were what Pit Bulls are today... overly bred by people who shouldn't be breeding, to produce the "fad" that will bring in the big bucks, they see a trait (aggressiveness, over-protectiveness) and breed this dog with another that has those same traits, and the result is a litter of pups that predominately display that same trait, and sell them with that in mind.
It's taken years to weed out and correct the German Shepherd and make it what is once was, and is supposed to be.
There are still those who remember the "bad" days, when GSD's were bred and trained to be "guard dogs" by Joe and his brother down the road, because they were "mean."
But, for the most part, today in my town, people are moving on... that negative attention is leaving the GSD, the Dobe, and the Rotti and is turning towards the over abundance of aggressive Pit Bulls led around on logging chains.

Last edited by mehpenn; 02-11-2013 at 10:31 AM.
mehpenn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #35 (permalink)

Shepherds are fantastic. I have 2 and have never had a problem. I have had my male since 8 weeks and I rescued my female from a shelter on death row when she was about 2 years old. She had a shaved neck and scabs all over it from being tied up with a prong collar. The owner went near her one day and she bit her. I would do the same if i was tied up day in day out. They told me that the owner had her tied up because she used to dig holes and pull off the washing. Since I have had her she has done none of those things and never ever been aggressive towards me. I put it down to people don't do their research before getting a GSD and think they are very cute as puppy's but don't realise thaey need attention[ lots of it ] and daily exercise. Both my dogs go hiking with me, to the beach and are around children every now and again and I have never had a problem. They are weary of strangers but once I tell them it's okay, they settle down.
Mick_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #36 (permalink)

In the process of getting my puppy a few weeks ago, I ran into just about everything that has been described above. Luckily, I had done my research. After wanting a GSD for 16 years and putting off getting any dog until I had one, I wasn't going to let internet legends and hyperbole get in my way. I researched breeders, hips, temperaments, and made arrangements for my wife to meet GSDs so she could see what they were like.

Some people are just special though.

My sister-in-law, who has a Yorkie, threw a fit when my wife told her we were getting a GSD. Why she cares, I have no idea - she lives 5 hours away. She trotted out every legend that she could think of...and then, seeing that my wife wasn't too concerned, she worked up the following gem.

She told my pregnant wife that the GSD was going to eat the baby.

Wow. That was too much for me. She and I had a serious talk the next day and she ended up apologizing. And she hasn't been up to visit since I got the pup, which is fine with me!
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 10:10 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master Member

"Getting"?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb f View Post
I told a lot of people I was getting a german shepherd before I got my pup and all I heard was bad things like why are you doing that you have small kids those dogs will turn on you. Those dogs are mean. You can't trust them.
I've had german shepherds all my life and I've never had one be aggressive towards me. I have pictures of me at 5 years old laying on our gsd pulling her ears. I just hate that some people have the wrong idea about the breed I love so much. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I live in northeast Louisiana btw.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I wouldnt let your five year old do that with any dog or cat and take pictures. That is where trouble happens and animals get a bad name. Doesnt have to be a gsd. No animal wants to deal with crap like that.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #39 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
I honestly believe most pitbulls are more stable than most gsd's. These dogs are smart and need work. My neighborhood is full of crazy gsd's?

lol I will NEVER agree with this.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLuna View Post
Jag: OK let my explain my way of thinking there are sick dogs with chemical imbalances and that are breed poorly which is neither the dogs fault or owners and yes I have a quite a few this pic here was my more recent 1 he was my heart the love of my life but was just not right and we tried to resolve he's issues but failed in the process as we failed him we had to put him down right after x-mas and I'm still heart broken with his absence so yes I do know it feels .Blade had a little bit of by polar dis order and everyday we didn't know what dog we were going to get. We couldn't have friends over b/c 1 day he was OK and the next day he would full on try to attack it got so bad with him to the point he would turn on me and my hubby mind you I have 3 small children and couldn't risk them with him..But then there are dogs that have no manners and run wild and there owners sit by and then say I don't know why my dog is like that and really it's them not the dog thus you have bad owners sorry if I'm all over the place and not explaining myself as good I'm trying to multi task feeding a baby and typing is quite complicated lol so I lose my train of thought..
Yes, this I agree with you 100% on! Sorry about the loss of your boy. I understand completely how devastating that is. It's enough to make you crazy if you keep thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.