German Shepherds Forum banner

Holy recall! (and a fun day of hiking)

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  codmaster 
#1 ·
This morning we were packing up to go out hiking, I had Zira in the back of the Jeep already and Duke next to me right about to get in too (I needed to make room for him quickly as Z situated herself at an odd angle). My SO and mother were behind me and were keeping an eye on Duke (or at least they were supposed to). Usually Duke doesn't move an inch from me. Well... my neighbor who doesn't believe in the leash law here (we've had a few encounters of her dog rushing up to mine in our driveway... and she lets her dogs potty in all the neighbors yards.. including ours... she's 2 houses down from us to the left) she let her dogs out and one of them ran across 3 yards and into our yard. When the dog hit my yard... Duke took off like a cheetah at this dog. I thought, for SURE this dog was going to get some puncture wounds and there went the day for everyone..

I yelled "DUKE! NO!! HERE!!"..... He went from full on aggression and full speed to immediately stopping on a dime, spun around on his back feet and ran back to me sitting at my side. Not another peep from him as the neighbor came and got her dog in my yard.

I almost had a heart attack. Duke's DA has gotten MUCH better, I can walk him around dogs all day, he sits out around other dogs at training...... but he still doesn't like dogs rushing up to him on his turf, hackles up. Or them dominating him. I was angry at him for taking off, and angry at my SO and mother for NOT keeping an eye out, or handling the leash.... but, inside I was jumping for joy at that recall! We've trained and trained and trained for it... it's never been tested though!

So anyways, Duke healed up nicely from his little infection on his paw and the vet cleared him for hiking today. Zira, Duke, My mother, SO, and myself went out hiking. it was a beautiful day and both dogs had a ton of fun. We took the easy trails so their paws wouldn't get hurt... and thankfully it was really cold, so the sugar sand was not too hot. They got to enjoy it without boots today. Here's some pictures:

And we can't forget Storm... we had some fun training when we got home:

See less See more
#2 ·
good boy Duke!! I would have had a heart attack to, but definitely happy at that recall !

Great pics, looks like a nice place to hike! Storm is getting BIG

#9 ·
Storm is getting BIG
I can't believe how big the puppy is!!!
Oh I KNOW :eek:! She's growing like a weed now! We had a few months there where all her siblings were much bigger then her, I was concerned.... but I think she's catching up now! I feed her more then enough, but she's getting all leggy and awkward.... she's at 'that' age now... :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Great pics! Thank you for sharing with us!

#7 ·
GREAT job Duke! That is the end result we all want! Awesome job! :D And great pics, glad you had such fun today!

Please send some sun to Spokane. This is the time of year Spokane gets really gross. Grey, foggy, cold and nothing but the same in sight for the next 6 weeks (after the last three months of the same)..............

#8 ·
Thanks everyone!

It almost gave me a heart attack.. I've never had my dogs run out like that (I'm what they call "overly cautious" and courteous to others)... I was pretty angry! However, I couldn't help but get all excited about that recall. I was doing a happy dance inside my head! lol! That was what we call police K9 quality! I am very thankful for the intense training we've gone through! :D

I'm also thankful hiking was much less eventful. Few stupid dog owners... but, no problems. :cool:

#10 ·
Thanks everyone!

It almost gave me a heart attack.. I've never had my dogs run out like that (I'm what they call "overly cautious" and courteous to others)... I was pretty angry! However, I couldn't help but get all excited about that recall. I was doing a happy dance inside my head! lol! That was what we call police K9 quality! I am very thankful for the intense training we've gone through! :D

I'm also thankful hiking was much less eventful. Few stupid dog owners... but, no problems. :cool:
Dance, dance, dance!!

Well deserved.

Not having a solid recall was one of my biggest fears. I made it my business to make sure she's fool proof with her recall. I call, she better get her butt over here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.