Be afraid of the owner, not the dogs! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Be afraid of the owner, not the dogs!

I'm red hot mad! Yesterday morning someone tossed chocolate cookies in my backyard. Fortunately, I always go out with the dogs when they are in the yard and I found them before they might have been eaten. I almost didn't see it until my GSD looked at it and then me. Like "Hey mom, why is this out here?"

People around us know we have a GSD, an elderly pug and a rottweiler puppy and they can't do anything bad around us because my GSD will go on alert and the pug barks. It just honks me off so bad. My dogs aren't outside alone day and night, they don't bark their heads off and they don't run loose. Who ever did this was up to no good.

The story gets even better when I was walking the dogs an hour later and found a large knife near my house. I called the cops to come and get it but it freaked me out a little bit. Thank god I am vigilant about my dogs and I have a big smart furry protector.
WorkingmyMojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yes, I would be very vigilant with my dogs. Maybe the incidents aren't connected. And maybe the cookie person might just be a slob and litter bug and not even know dogs can't eat chocolate? Just giving benefit of the doubt.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ugh! Id be furious!!! At least your pups didn't gobble it up! That would freak me out too. So happy to have my pups and, my soldier, we keep each other safe. Glad you were on the look out!
Fynn&Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agree to be vigilant. I hope there was no intent to harm your dogs but you never know with some people.

When I was a kid someone was killing dogs in our neighborhood with antifreeze. We had 3 dogs on our street die, dogs were kept in their fenced in yard during the day while the owners were at work. I know alot of people assumed it was a rotten teenager, turns out it was the nice elderly man who lived up the street. I don't remember what happened to him or why he was doing it, the dogs were not a nuisance...not that that gives anyone the right.

I guess dogs are attracted to antifreeze because it smells and tastes sweet?
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I understand how you feel, it was not that long ago that I posted on here for similar reasons, it is scary and it makes you mad.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I totally understand where your coming from.. back in the summer there was someone or a group of people going around the small down, unlatching backyard gates, and cutting dog chains and dogs were getting lose... its scary when these idiots do things like this!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

People are idiots...but just so you worry less, not all dogs are allergic to chocolate. And they're actually allergic to cocoa so most milk chocolate won't bother dogs. It would also take quite a bit of cocoa to hurt a gsd.

I know this because we have a westie in the family that loves chocolate...he once got into a whole bag of hershey kisses and ate the whole thing...took the aluminum wrappers off and everything!!! They called the vet, and he said not to worry...those have such small amounts of cocoa that they aren't dangerous. The only downside was the dog was wired for the next few hours.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Who in their right mind would waste chocolate chip cookies? Even if the person who threw the cookies in your yard did not know you have dogs, it is still so very disrespectful to litter and not be responsible for your stuff.

I'm glad you called the police about the knife, at least now there is a record of it.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If it was an attempt to poison your dogs, it was a feeble one. A dog might get sick on chocolate cookies, but it probably won't have any negative effects. Probably. If they were soaked in antifreeze -- that would make a huge difference.

There are evil idiots out there. I suppose I would look at the environment. Could someone walking down the street or sidewalk toss them over your fence, or did they have to travel over your lawn several yards and then throw them over the fence? If the first, I would probably think, someone who is stupid and litters, but not necessarily malicious and intent on harming you or your dog. If the latter it is more puzzling. As we have mentioned, chocolate cookies probably won't hurt the dog, so unless they added poisoning, I don't know, it i just weird.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I was walking the dogs in my own back pasture one evening and found a bunch of bones. It looked like goat bones laying around. It totally creeped me out. I put the dogs up and picked up as many as I could find. I was concerned that they were 'planted' for my dogs to find.

But, by the time I was finished being weirded out, I figured it was most likely coyotes drug the bones over and consumed a dead goat.

My mother throws out anything stale that she thinks birds would eat. I wonder if you have a neighbor who tossed stale cookies and made an error by tossing some into your back yard. Did you look to see if any of your neighbors had any in their yards?
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.