Dogs know when you are sick? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Dogs know when you are sick?

Ok on Saturday I went to get Dante the German shepherd to walk. Then I took him to my house for lunch and to pack up for a hike. Suddenly, Dante kept whining towards me following me everywhere to bathroom, garage, kitchen, bedroom. Then i decided I want to snuggle with him for a bit then 10 minutes later I'm all like time to leave I get up and tell him its time for our walk Dante whines and push me down to my bed with his paw as if he's telling me, "Dude your sick rest up buddy." Then I grab the thermanitor next to my bed stuck it in my mouth and Dante puts his head on my arm. Turns out I had a touch of the flu and a mild fever. I went to walk the neighborhood and a path around the neighborhood anyways and he just walked right by my side as if he knew I was sick and keeping close eye on me. When we got home i decided to take a nap and we snuggled and he jumped off 30 minutes later then jumped back on laid where my pillows were and I used him as a pillow which helped a lot!
Dante is such a great dog I'm glad i get to walk him every Saturday!
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We trained dogs for all kinds of things one time, seziers and the downs was hard! Yes, dogs know more then people do sometimes, why do you think people might have a problem with one?.
harmony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My own personal thing is, I still have a hard time going into a hosptial to try and help someone even if I could take a dog. I seen cancer end a kid and that is what" I do not want " (in my heart),.Take a dog to help them, but hard to go thru !! That stinks is all we can take a dog in but we can not save them
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well as you see there is much work to be done, that I am not cut for.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That was wrong to say, I will be back someday (only because of the kids)...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

Diesel use to know I was sick or getting sick she would calm down considerably... but she was even better at telling when I was going to have an anxiety attack or when I was getting into a very low state due to my bipolar, she would alert and she was never trained to do this, these dogs are very special
Old 01-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiah89 View Post
Diesel use to know I was sick or getting sick she would calm down considerably... but she was even better at telling when I was going to have an anxiety attack or when I was getting into a very low state due to my bipolar, she would alert and she was never trained to do this, these dogs are very special
That's crazy awesome. I don't that i ever paid attention at how Gus acts when I start to have an anxiety attack.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Dogs are so great at that. If your sad, anxious, stressed, overwhelmed, etc they can totally sense it and you feel better. It's funny when ever I'm sad or stressed around my sable German shepherd Lobo he always does something hilarious and I laugh and I'm sad nor stressed no longer! I didn't teach him this!
Lobobear44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hubby broke his leg and injured his ankle.

Hondo (GSD) is now stuck to him like glue. Always wanting to assist him when he gets out of his chair and onto the crutches. Attempts to walk between crutch and leg. Never blinked an eye with the wheel chair or the crutches.

Lonestar (Lacy) totally avoids the 'black boot'. He actually goes to the opposite side of hubby to jump on his lap. Will sit still for a few minutes on his lap (very unusual for this crack puppy) waiting on hubby. Also, will actually drag the blanket to hubby when he gets off the chair (and he lets the blanket fall).

Maggie (Mini Doxie) although she used to be my dog, she now sleeps with hubby where ever he ends up (to be comfortable).

Tug (Golden) will not go near hubby. Tug is older and has some screws loose, but never has been afraid of either of us. Now, he won't even go near hubby if hubby has high value food to offer. He still comes to me.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I think some of them do....some, like our Sierra, just aren't wrapped all that tight. If she were, I"m sure she would not jumped directly onto DH's face this weekend as he lay on the couch burning up with fever.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.