Coytoes and Hazing - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coytoes and Hazing

My local park seems to have alot of them right now, and today when I was walking my dog, I saw one on the path in front of us. I was far enough away to change the way I was going and then it came right in the middle of a big grassey area of the park and just sat there. This was at 11 in the morning. So two questions. Do you think it is strange for them to be out in the middle of the day? Does hazing really work? It makes it kinda scary to walk my dog. Here in Colorado, we have had some people attacked lately and also a 90 pound lab was attacked.
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I used to see coyotes in the middle of the day during the 120 degree blazing summers in Las Vegas. They're pretty timid. If they seem brazen then that's odd behavior...
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

no its not entirely unusual to see them in the day. Its clearly more concerning seeing them during the day since they're primarily night hunters and more active at night but its not unusual. I live down in the springs. We have several around here but we're closer to the eastern side of town. I would definitely find out who you report the sighting to up there though. I'm sure the city would like to know. I assume kids and small dogs frequent this park? I carry pepper spray for various reasons. When you walk your dog, walk tall and confident. If you're perceived by the coyote as a potential danger should he approach, they'll more likely leave you alone. Also do NOT allow your dog offleash. Coyotes have been known to engage a domestic dog in play and charge back to the pack with your dog on its heels. The pack will take your dog easily if there's one nearby.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

I do not allow my dog off leash because of park rules. I did report it on a site for that at Denver.org. Only thing that the site talks about is hazing and how we need them for smaller pest control. I don.t agree with so many now in the city parks. There was kids playing and a man walking. Told parents and man before we left. I see a lot of people let there dogs off lead there and could have a bad outcome, now that it is getting worse.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight12 View Post
I do not allow my dog off leash because of park rules. I did report it on a site for that at Denver.org. Only thing that the site talks about is hazing and how we need them for smaller pest control. I don.t agree with so many now in the city parks. There was kids playing and a man walking. Told parents and man before we left. I see a lot of people let there dogs off lead there and could have a bad outcome, now that it is getting worse.

unfortunately all you can do is warn other people when you spot a coyote. If they're allowing their dogs to run off leash, it is most definitely their fault if a coyote gets em.

We had some small dogs and cats going missing around our area and nobody could figure out where they were going. I was driving home one night and just about hit the biggest coyote i've ever seen in my life. He had his eye on a fawn with its mom on the other side of the street. he's still around but people know about him and keep a better eye on their smaller pets. We have five dogs in our house so he keeps his distance here but I've seen him hanging around the house up the street. All I know is they have a Pomeranian.

Just be careful
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus CA 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah it makes it harder to go out walking. This was the biggest one I have seen too. Looked about as big as Rosie and she is 80 pounds. I guess with 5 dogs they would stay away from your house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.